Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cactus had another seizure last night.  It was short and sounded painful but I have been assured that he is not in pain.  It was almost a week from his first one to this one, that I know of.  The only good thing is that now I recognize the sound he makes just before he has one.  The bad thing is both seizures happened during different types of activities- one as he was sleeping and this one after he had been playing hard.  

I was hoping he would never have another.  But if he is not in pain then  I can deal with it.  Does anyone know how to tell if he is in pain?  Thanks,
~Anne

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Cactus had another seizure. Is he on Phenobarbitol for his seizures, or another type of med? My previous Boxer, Buster had seizures and I was always reassured that they are not in any pain or won't even remember the episode. It is very difficult to see them go through these things. You will recognize the signs when Cactus will have a seizure. Buster would always start the "lip smacking" or biting at air right before he would have a seizure, at least then I would run and grab my rescue dose of valium to administer when he was seizing. That would stop him from having cluster seizures.  I use to keep a journal of when Buster would have a seizure. What was he doing at the time? How long did it last? Also keep track of any heartworm of flea control you use. See if that might have anything to do with it. Maybe you can find out what is causing these things. I hope Cactus never has another seizure. I know how frightening they are to watch. Please keep us updated to how Cactus is doing. Good Luck.
Lisa

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reassurance that he is not in pain.  What I do not understand is if there is something to stop the seizure, why isn't there something, like a daily vitamin, that we could give to keep whatever loose circuit connected in his brain.  His breeder is being wonderful, offering to help with vets bills or even take him back (out of the question!).  I started a journal too..... oh also, why does he yelp during them if he is not in pain?  Talk to you soon!
~Anne

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think they yelp because they really don't have control over any of their bodily functions. It's very common for them to even relieve themselves while having a seizure. Pee or poop. So, don't be surprised if that happens. Buster was on Pheno, and that controls the seizures, but doesn't stop them completely.  Just for example, if he wasn't on Pheno he may have had 12 seizures a week. But, on the pheno he maybe had one seizure every other month. The pheno does make them act "drunk", but when you find the right dose, it will make the seizures more controllable. If Cactus isn't on any meds yet, I would talk to your vet about that. It really isn't good for them to have these episodes. You will notice that every seizure he has will probably last a little longer, and it will take him a little longer to "come out of it." I would definitely talk to your vet about this. Has the vet done any blood tests yet? I really wish there was a pill to give them to prevent them from happening. But, they really need to know why they are happening. I wish you and Cactus Luck, and hoping for no more seizures!
Lisa

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just another thing I thought of......I don't know what you are feeding, but sometimes seizures can be caused by the type of foods that dogs are fed. For instance, they might have an allergy to corn or grain products. So, if you are not feeding a high quality kibble or raw, you might consider switching to a higher quality food.
Just something else you might want to try.
Lisa

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lisa,
I too have heard that.  I am feeding the wheat and gluten free Nutramaxx puppy food.... I know everyone has their preference but I was told by two of the three breeders that I visited to find Cactus that Science Diet is being sued for rubber ..... his vet was extremely pleased at that so I am assuming it is good.  

Thanks for talking with me on this unpleasant subject.  I really apprecaite your expertise.
~Anne

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi Anne,
Lord..I'm no expert! In anything!   :lol:  I just know how it feels going through these seizures. I know it can make you feel helpless, because all you want to do is help your baby.
You are feeding a good food, so I wouldn't think you need to change that. Yeah, I think Science Diet is crappy food. All those fillers and by-products in there. People think it's such a good food because you can buy it at vets offices, but vets aren't nutritionists!  :p Then again, some people claim they see really good results from the food.
I really do hope you find the cause of Cactus' seizures. Because not knowing would be worse. To me, anyway. My Buster was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy, which means he basically had seizures for no apparent reason. Well, hopefully Cactus won't have any more and you can put all of this behind you. BTW how old is Cactus? I'm guessing he's a pup, by the food you are feeding.
Oh, something else just  popped in my head. If he is a puppy, has he had any recent vaccinations lately? Maybe a reaction? I've heard a lot about dogs having seizures after vaccinations. What about a product like Revolution?
Okay, my brain is just going now. Sorry....I just hate these darn things!
Lisa

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Lisa,
You are an expert to me in that you have been there, done that and are willing to share.  Cactus turned three months yesterday.  Two weeks ago, before he has his first seizure, I was going to take him for his second series and to get fixed.  The vet said to wait on that till this week.  Well since he had another seizure, I called her to find out if it is okay to vaccinate still.  I am waiting to hear from her.  Good news is that his breeder has finally offered to help with the medical bills.  She offered to take him back but that is ludicrous..... Although I am not equating my pet to a human, I am quite attached to him and as with anything you truly love, you take the good with the bad.

Thanks again!
~Anne

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I too had a Boxer with idopathic seizures as he got older (9).  I have done a lot of reading about seizures lately and they are thinking that food allergies can greatly trigger it.  The Whole Dog Journal had a great article about them in this summers issues.  Go on line to their website and buy that issue.  I have also read that there is some great improvement/cures with the use of Melatonin for seizures.  Check it out.  Good luck and I know how you feel.  Mine was having grand mal and petit mal alot.  My holistic vet told me to pull on their toes when they are going thru it as that helps them come out of it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Myself and Daisy's thoughts are with you and Cactus at this time. Keep us updated with your progress with him. You get attatched to them so quickly don't you?! Daisy's one and a half now and I couldn't imagine life without her! She's my life long pal!
I hope you get to the bottom of the seizures soon. I'm sure Cactus is a little fighter!

Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts