Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Chance was doing really well. He hadnt had a seizure for probably 2 months. Then he had one this morning. UGGGGGHHHHH Also he has been having major issues with the crate.....I am never gone for more than an hour maybe 2 times a week but he has always been crated since he was a baby. Well i came home from picking the kids up from school yesterday and his cage was destroyed and he was out in the house and had tore up some paper and a pair of shoes. I have noticed when i crate him he will cry very loudly the whole time(at least i think it is the whole time....crying when i leave and still crying when i come back). Nothing has changed in his routine with the crate....but all of the sudden he freaks out. So needless to say i had to buy a new cage today....any help would be great. Thanks all

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi Tami! I was just thinking about you two yesterday! I'm so sorry to hear about Chance having another seizure... :cry:  :cry:

As far as his crate... I'm not much help. I would say though that I thought Odin use to cry THE WHOLE time but they have really good hearing and I busted him a few times not crying. Basically he'd hear the car pull up or the garage door open and start back up so I'd feel bad for him. That's my theory from what I've seen of Odin anyway.

Has he liked the crate before? Odin's never liked it... we have to lead him in there. He doesn't cry anymore unless he was JUST let out and has to go back up. Though I would cry too if I had to go up right after being let out.

Maybe he wants you around constantly because he's scared... you know of his seizures or maybe the two don't have anything to do with each other. If I wasn't feeling good I would love to have my mother around constantly to give me love and comfort.

Hopefully someone has great advice for you... of course praise and treats are always good once in the crate.

Don't be a stranger!  :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know how similar dog and cat seizures are but I know our cat Dippy starts acting weird just before a seizure.  At first we didn't know why he was acting the way he was but now we do and when he starts acting that way we keep a watch on him.  Normally we give him a full pill (per advice from vet, he is getting half pills now at 8am & 8pm) that morning or evening when he is acting strange.  It could also be the medicine he is on for the siezures (our vet said our cat would sleep alot but he is very active).  Good luck, I know the first year of figuring out Dippy's medicine was hard on him, he had more seizures then but now he is doing pretty good...maybe 2-3 a year.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He never had a problem with his crate...didnt like it but if i pointed to the crate and told him to go to bed he would go right in with no problem. I got to thinking i am wondering if he might have had a seizure in his cage and maybe that is what broke the cage?????? Because all day today he has gone in and out of his cage....so if he didnt like it he would stay away from it right???

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sorry about the seizure! :(
I'm sorry I'm no help with the crate.
Just wanted you to know we're still praying for you! :D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
TamiNChance\";p=\"85037 said:
He never had a problem with his crate...didnt like it but if i pointed to the crate and told him to go to bed he would go right in with no problem. I got to thinking i am wondering if he might have had a seizure in his cage and maybe that is what broke the cage?????? Because all day today he has gone in and out of his cage....so if he didnt like it he would stay away from it right???
That sounds like maybe that would be the issue. I've not had a pet have a seizure or seen it really so I don't know what it entails as far as body movement, thrashing... etc. But that does happen... he's probably very scared of it now and that does make sense. When you get another crate I'd get one that looks different of course it will smell different being new but if it looks different it might help. Or if not on the outside, maybe on the inside... different bedding etc.

He's SOOO gorgeous and just seems like such a lover boy. I'm so sorry you're having these problems! Poor baby!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Awww Tami, I'm sooo sorry Chance had another seizure. Sounds like you might be right about the seizure in the crate, glad he seems to be getting over his issue with it. Boxerlove has a good point, if the seizures continue watch for behavior/mood changes prior to the seizure maybe you'll notice a pattern? Be sure to document date, time and length of seizure to report to the vet. My brothers GS has seizures, Gomer is a TERRIBLE garbage picker (he'll find it no matter what  8O ) and Doug swears the seizures happen w/in 2 days of a garbage misadventure. I know that's not the case with Chance but maybe his are triggered by a change in something??
I've been wondering how you were, it's good to see you're still around  :lol: Healing thoughts and positive vibes to Chance from me, Donner and Blitzen send boxer wiggles  :D

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot everyone for your kind words. I am with him pretty much all the time unless he is in his crate when i pick the kids up....Hasnt been any changes. He has had them for awhile but hadnt had one for some time. I talk to the vet all the time about it and she doesnt see any real concern right now because they arent more often. SO i  guess we will just take it day by day. I missed you all and its good to be back!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tami,

My Butter suffered severe seizures, I know just how horrific these episodes can be and how desparate you must be when Chance has one.  I notice that Chance is white -- my Butter (despite his name) is most white also.  The research that I have read indicates that white dogs of any breed are more prone to vaccinal adverse reactions than dogs of other colors , and one of the potential adverse reactions to vaccinations is seizures -- has your dog recently been vaccinated?

Combination Vaccines, Multiple Shots--on Page 16 of the 2003 AAHA Guidelines under Immunological Factors Determining Vaccine Safety, it states that: "Although increasing the number of components in a vaccine may be more convenient for the practitioner or owner, the likelihood for adverse effects may increase. Also, interference can occur among the components. Care must be taken not to administer a product containing too many vaccines simultaneously if adverse events are to be avoided and optimal immune responses are sought. "

Significant calcium deficiency can cause seizure-like episodes, have you had a blood test to check calcium and phosphorous levels? High phosphorous foods (meat, eggs, nuts) bind with calcium, as do high oxalate foods (oatmeal) and may deplete your dog's levels to a point where it will cause problems. Poison will also cause seizures.

You might want to do an online search for "canine hypocalcemia" or just "hypocalcemia".   This link http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/eclampsia.htm will take you to an article on this subject in which it states that the signs of low calcium levels (hyocalcemia) are:  "Muscle tremors, restlessness, panting, incoordination, grand mal seizures and fever as high as 106."  

Further, the above articles thats a one of the possible causes:  Poor Nutrition - "Home brewed" diets usually are at fault. The owner innocently may be adding too much unbalanced meat to the bitch's diet, thinking the extra protein is beneficial. What's really happening is the calcium to phosphorus ratio is out of balance because the amount of useful calcium in the food is actually reduced! The ideal contains a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1.2 to 1. (Many organ meats such as liver have a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1 to 15!! Liver is great for dogs but if it comprises a large part of the diet, the calcium/phosphorus ratio of the diet will be improper.)

If you have chickens, you should be aware that their droppings are extremely high in phosphorous and can cause a problem if your dog eats too many of them.  If the droppings are charging your dog's blood with phosphorous, it's going to drain him/her of calcium in order to maintain proper pH balance and cause muscle twitching, etc...

Check this link HPA | Phosphorous | FAQs on phosphorous from the Health Protection Agency, especially this quote: "It has been used as a rat and rodent poison.."

Check this site Eclampsia (Puerperal Tetany, Milk Fever, Hypocalcemia) in Dogs  "Eclampsia, also called milk fever or puerperal tetany, is an acute, life-threatening disease caused by low blood calcium levels (hypocalcemia) in dogs ...."

Butter developed severe seizures after the second of his puppy rabies shots -- his head shook so hard we thought his eyes would pop out, it was terrifying.  After this seizure activity triggered by the vaccine, he became prone to them from other triggers. Whenever he ate too many high phosphorous foods (or chicken droppings), he would seize.  Giving him 1/2 a quart of plain organic yogurt would calm his seizures within 15 minutes, when they were food-related.

Personally, I would have a complete blood count done to check for mineral levels if you don't think vaccines or something your dog is eating is causing the seizures. PLUS, I would consult a Homeopathic/Holistic veterinarian for an alternative treatment, you can do an online search for one near you at American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association http://www.holisticvetlist.com/, Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy http://www.theavh.org/referral/index.php.

Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf .

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Tami, I am so sorry to hear that the seizures are still happening and yes it's very possible that Chance did have one while in the crate and is associating the crate with what happened...How awful for him.....Hoping that it gets better, I know how frustrating this is for you

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry that Chance had another seizure, it must be so scary for both of you.  I sure hope that the seizures eventually go away.  Not sure about the crate either but it sounds logical that he may associate the crate with a seizure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new to this so forgive me if I dont know the full history of Chance's seizures. I assume your vet has ruled out diabetes. It just sounded alot like the first "hypo" my setter had years ago and it turned out that he needed insulin injections and thyroxin to control the associated hypo thyroidism. He went on to live a long and happy life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts