Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I knew this day was coming...the day when Sadie could reach the wicker baskets on the shelving in my kitchen  8O . And boy is she glad she can! She is also chewing the trim in the kitchen etc... Soo I have invested in some anti chew spray to try it out..we got TropiClean Stay Away Natural chew deterrent. Has anyone ever used this kind before.... Every time I have used it I spray it low to the ground and never near my face, but I ALWAYS end up with this disgusting taste at the back of my throat! Gross!!

Can anyone recommend an anti chew spray that doesnt make you feel sick for hours after its been sprayed...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i have never used anti chew spray, but i know some used bitter apple. as with any product it works for some but not for others.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I used bitter apple for the first few weeks, but luckily Lola was never much of a chewer besides her toys.  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've wondered about it...because of the boys chewing on a tree in the backyard...for the most part supervision and lots of chew toys have worked for us...but, I think the day may be coming for us, too...I will be checking out the bitter apple myself! Let me know how it works for you! :D

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That's good to know.  So far I haven't had chewing problems, but I'm sure the time will come when the furniture looks like more fun than Sophie's toys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've used bitter end on xena before. The first few days it worked. Then she grew to like it. However, at PetSmart, we do highly reccomend these sprays. We use Bitter Yuck in training to show to pet parents and in case any of the dogs are nibbling something they shouldn't....it works like a charm. A word of caution though...it does wear off so spraying the house before you leave for work probably won't do much good. Its more for when you actually catch them chewing it. If you can't watch her...try a puppy-proof safe area, such as a crate or gated off hallway, and leave some appropriate chew toys. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas!

She just sort runs toward her favorite places (mostly trim or wicker) with her mouth wide open and before you know it she's gnawing on it! We usually just clap our hands and throw her a toy (she has soo many toys!) that works to divert her attention most of the time. If we have to leave the room for a second to go to the bathroom or something when we come back we usually find her gnawing on something! lol We do crate her when we are at work, so its not normally a problem then its just the odd time she's in a room for a minute or two by herself.  I think I will get some of that bitter apple stuff (or the brands playtime mentioned) and see how it works for her. Hopefully it won't make me feel so sick! Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i lost an expsensive pair of leather sandles to a chewing puppy, luckily though it was the only thing i lost-though i was very upset over losing them. Ever since Reese destroyed my sandle she hasnt chewed on anything else. Best of luck :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Tabasco sauce also works for some and also Cayenne Pepper..Altho Buck & Tia seemed to like the "hot stuff"... :lol:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
The trainer always tested 3 different kinds on the dogs that had chewing issues in the class we were in... since some actually like the bitterness. I haven't had to use anything thank GAWD... but I know for it to work... it must be WET... not something you sprayed 20 minutes earlier. That's crazy that it leaves a taste in your mouth and you're no where near it... WOW! That must be some powerful stuff!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure that Bitter apple doesn't hang around after it has dried.  A trainer friend of mine actually told me to spray Ringer's leash with it and let it dry so that he wouldn't chew on the end.  I have to say that it worked like a charm.  He tried to put the leash in his mouth after I sprayed it the day before and it came right back out.  It will dilute/run off if you get it wet, though.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mastray\";p=\"30779 said:
That's crazy that it leaves a taste in your mouth and you're no where near it... WOW! That must be some powerful stuff!!
Yeah this stuff is rancid! Sadie actually seems to like it though, she licks it up lol

The cayenne pepper sounds like a good idea, I haven't tried it yet but I will do. I am just imagining all of the red powder scattered around my house and guests thinking..wow she really has gone nuts! lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sadiesmomma\";p=\"30843 said:
The cayenne pepper sounds like a good idea, I haven't tried it yet but I will do. I am just imagining all of the red powder scattered around my house and guests thinking..wow she really has gone nuts! lol
Maybe to save the mess of scattering powder around the place you could try cutting a chilli (something really hot like a Habanero) in half and rubbing the cut side along the surfaces she chews?  I've never tried it, the idea just popped into my head, but it would be invisible so perhaps worth a try???

(Just make sure you use gloves when handling the chillis!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts