Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boy is 15 moths old goes through toys rather quickly. He loves to chew but I am careful what to give him. Wanted to know your thoughts in antlers used as a dog chew. Saw some at Petco the other day and was thinking of getting him one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have read articles about them breaking dogs teeth wanted to know if any of you have had this experience

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I also read about antlers breaking teeth so we have avoided them. We do give our pups Dentley femur bones and large sized Yak cheese. When the yak gets to swallowing size we soak it and microwave it. Then once it cools he will finish it off. I h ave found some on Amazon that were a good buy and lasted longer than store bought .
MONSTER Himalayan Yak Dog Chew (6-8 oz.) Natural Yak & Cow Milk / Cheese from Himalayas Long-Lasting, Jumbo Treat for Dogs, Best XL Thick Chew Stick by Pawstruclk. And your boxer is gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have one friend who has 2 PB's and swears by them(split elk antlers), and another friend who had a couple thousand in dental bills. I stay away from them personally. I just go with bully sticks from best bully sticks. They keep his teeth nice and clean and he has no issues digesting them. Only thing I would say if you go a bully stick route, is watch when it gets to about 3" long at the end, they have a habit of trying to swallow the last little bit whole.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys I think I too am going to stay away from them. Just not sure I want to take the chance of possibly breaking his teeth. I may check Amazon for the Yak cheese and Bullysticks see if their prices are better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good looking pup! I would suggest getting a good tug toy. Fire hose material, jute, etc.. and learn to tug with him. It will be good exercise for the both of you.
Make it a game both of you are involved in. it will be more fun for him and you won't go through as many "toys".
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our boy has an antler and honestly it's the last chew he prefers. We give dental chews/sticks, or bones with the marrow in the middle, or just the 2 for 5 chew toys from petco because once he gets the stuffing out in one we throw it away, which is usually a day. Lol.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I've always avoided them myself, for the same breaking teeth reason. But with Bella (Pit/Boxer) ... I don't know?? She skins Golf Balls, so we take them away and she destroys ... all dog toys. We had some of the little tire things for years. Leftovers from our other dogs and she tore those in half, in no time???

No more femur bones, as she breaks those into shards?? Large knuckle bones seem to be the only thing she can't destroy?? OMG ... I just gave her one of these.:
https://www.chewy.com/rachael-ray-nutrish-soup-bones/dp/40471

It seemed kinda hard so I figured she'd have something to chew on for a bit??? I look up and shes doing something else?? I figured she must have shoved it under the couch?? I look for it and can't find it??? Well that is out but it'll show up so I gave her another one.
And this time I watch and the harder chew bonish thing (the first was not lost!) This time I watch her and she gobbled that thing down in less than a minute??? It's kinda crazy what she does with stuff as she is pretty much the same size as Struddell was??

But the good news is, she only destroys her stuff! Even still I don't think I'll do the Antler thing either, they make me nervous.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Those nutrias bones are not hard at all, they feel hard but even my toothless chihuahua can down them, lol try one of these Dentley bones. It may last a bit longer .https://www.petsmart.com/dog/treats...g-treat---cheese-and-bacon-5277239.html,,even my cairn hasn't totally destroyed one of these. Also some toys made by JW work for hard chewers.
Yeah I thought they were dental bones?? And yeah they were kinda soft, you couldn;t tell when they were in the bag?? So she tricked me with them! The dental bones she will chew for a bit, get bored and walk away and come back to it later, so that is what I thought she was doing?? But not so much, it would seem with those. She gobbled them right down.

I will look for JW toys?? Never heard of them, right now the floor is littered with slaughtered and de-stuffed toys! Only a stuffed Monkey and one of two Aardvarks have survived so far. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
We were scolded by our vet for giving our boys bones, so we stay away from all of the hard things like it to avoid breakage issues.

We have a couple of power chewers, and we have had good luck with the black kong bone shapped toys, and the kong red or black cones.
They make a pull toy too. We've had a couple of them, they will tear eventually if used enough, but last a good bit.

We get our kongs off Amazon, they are cheaper than local stores and usually have a variety.

There are different levels & quality of rubbers used in the various toys (some made for puppies). You may already be aware of this.

Your baby is very handsome!

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Chip, Even with the jw toys stay away from ones with legs or thin parts. I stick with the balls, they have several variety, and I think they have a bone too which would hold treat. I really always have a dental stuffed bone on hand.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Chip, Even with the jw toys stay away from ones with legs or thin parts. I stick with the balls, they have several variety, and I think they have a bone too which would hold treat. I really always have a dental stuffed bone on hand.
LOL, limbs and bills (Duckbill platypus) are the best part! We keep an eye on her and she does not eat the remnants, nope those look better strewn liberally about the living room, daily pick up required. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always avoided them myself, for the same breaking teeth reason. But with Bella (Pit/Boxer) ... I don't know?? She skins Golf Balls, so we take them away and she destroys ... all dog toys. We had some of the little tire things for years. Leftovers from our other dogs and she tore those in half, in no time???

No more femur bones, as she breaks those into shards?? Large knuckle bones seem to be the only thing she can't destroy?? OMG ... I just gave her one of these.:
https://www.chewy.com/rachael-ray-nutrish-soup-bones/dp/40471

It seemed kinda hard so I figured she'd have something to chew on for a bit??? I look up and shes doing something else?? I figured she must have shoved it under the couch?? I look for it and can't find it??? Well that is out but it'll show up so I gave her another one.
And this time I watch and the harder chew bonish thing (the first was not lost!) This time I watch her and she gobbled that thing down in less than a minute??? It's kinda crazy what she does with stuff as she is pretty much the same size as Struddell was??

But the good news is, she only destroys her stuff! Even still I don't think I'll do the Antler thing either, they make me nervous.

Yea I agree those soup bones didn’t last long for my boy either

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were scolded by our vet for giving our boys bones, so we stay away from all of the hard things like it to avoid breakage issues.

We have a couple of power chewers, and we have had good luck with the black kong bone shapped toys, and the kong red or black cones.
They make a pull toy too. We've had a couple of them, they will tear eventually if used enough, but last a good bit.

We get our kongs off Amazon, they are cheaper than local stores and usually have a variety.

There are different levels & quality of rubbers used in the various toys (some made for puppies). You may already be aware of this.

Your baby is very handsome!

Thank you what are y’all a opinion on the edible chew nylabone brand

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also read about antlers breaking teeth so we have avoided them. We do give our pups Dentley femur bones and large sized Yak cheese. When the yak gets to swallowing size we soak it and microwave it. Then once it cools he will finish it off. I h ave found some on Amazon that were a good buy and lasted longer than store bought .
MONSTER Himalayan Yak Dog Chew (6-8 oz.) Natural Yak & Cow Milk / Cheese from Himalayas Long-Lasting, Jumbo Treat for Dogs, Best XL Thick Chew Stick by Pawstruclk. And your boxer is gorgeous!

Thank you I found some yak cheese in the pet store today I also saw the healthy edibles nylabone brand wondered about those any experience?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I have not used any edible bones. Now with the yak cheese do be careful when it get small as they can choke, take it, soak it then microwave it. It will puff up like a cheese puff. Once cool they can eat it, and at that point it doesn't take long as it light and no longer dense. I have found lately the ones at the pet stores are getting smaller and smaller which is a waste of $ so I've been buying them thru Amazon.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Thank you what are y’all a opinion on the edible chew nylabone brand

I think I have a version of a "Nylon Bone??"It's some green thing shaped like a bone?? And while it seems incredibly hard to me?? It is "apparently not so hard that it does not give to pressure! So it really "should not break teeth??" I think those are save enough to try?? At the worst your dog may just find them boring?? But I've not seen any "broken teeth" issues with nylabones??

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
WE have lots of nylabones lying about and, for the most part, I only buy the ones made for power chewers. I have heard of dogs breaking teeth but no one here. Lets face it if they bite down the wrong way it can happen not necessarily the bones fault.

·
Registered
634 Posts
We have used the non-edible nylabones in the past- the larger ones for the power chewers. I usually take them away due to them tearing up their mouths. They chew sharp edges which then cause their mouth/gums to bleed.

I prefer the black Kong bones or other more durable Kong chew toys. We've tried and will still try other brands, but Kong has worked well for us. Someimes you can find them as an 'add on' on amazon for a few dollars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts