Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!!!

I have an 8 month old male Boxer "Milo" who I love dearly. I believe that he may be suffering from anxiety separation. He whines and howls all day whether I'm at home or not. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he whines to get my attention. When I get home from work I don't go to him right away because I don't want him to think that it's okay to whine and howl just to get my attention. I wait until he is quite and then I go outside to greet him. I may be doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
no, keep doing that... he will learn... Jessie doesnt jump on me when i get home because i never went crazy when i got home...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Do you give him some interactive stuff when you leave??   Things that take the focus off you leaving and focus on the item given?  Such as a Kong, hide and seek with treats?  etc?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I give him a bone when I leave, but I've come to find out that he chews on the bone for a while and then he will dig a hole and bury the bone. I've heard about the kongs, how do they work? I've also heard about an interactive talking ball. Does anyone know if this is helpful? Someone suggested to me that I get a shock collar or a collar that shoots out a scent.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have the same problem, but a lil less severe. She doesn't do it so much anymore while I am at home. She is ok with me going room to room without her following me. But the moment she is put in her crate and I leave she whines and barks. I do know she doesn't do it all day lons as I have set up a motion detetion webcam on her to see what she does, but it is disturbing to see her trip out the first half an hour that I am gone. Besides, I don't want my neighbors to complain. I have given her a kong, and other treats that would last, but she prefers to trip out rather than enjoy a tasty treat.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Can you bring him in the house into a dog proof room, or a crate??   So much going on outside that it may be contributing to his behavior - IMO.  Also by being outside, not sure where you live but there are tons of stuff that can cause harm, like bee stings, animals ect.    Shock collars are worthless if you are not trained on how to properlly use one by a professional.   He needs something to occupy his time.

IMO I would give him tons of play exercise before you leave.  Give him a kong filled with something, or something like a buster food cube.  Give him a radio or noise.  Mine like classical.  Try to get him indoors to avoid injury and or environmental harm.  A tired dog is a happy dog and if they are tired 110% of the time they are gonna snooze a roo!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you HannaBanana for the info. I will start walking him in the mornings before I leave for work and give myself more time to play with him before I leave for work. I don't have a dog proof room so I will have to get a crate, however I don't know if he crate trained.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"95764":wurgap36]Can you bring him in the house into a dog proof room, or a crate??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in a remote area and I don't have any neighbors. I'm pretty far from the city, however I may be able to find a doggy daycare on my way in to work. Would getting another dog for companionship be a good idea?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm strongly going to suggest you bring your pup inside. Since, as Barb has already stated, Boxers are not outside dogs. I think a crate would be your best bet... with a little bit of training, he'd learn to love it - dogs are den animals & remain comfortable in a den-like area if properly introduced to it.

Walks/play-time are also a must... as others have said - a tired Boxer is a good Boxer.

Best of luck to you! :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Need more info here.  Did you just get him?  How long have you had him?  Where did he come from?  Was he a rescue?  

If you just got him, he's probably nervous of being abandoned (again).  You have to gain his trust, and there are ways to do that but I won't go further unless I know the circumstances.

But yes I agree with everyone else, boxers should not be left outside unsupervised.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO I would only add another when you get the SA issue solved with your first dog.   If the other get it two, thats double trouble IMO.  My advice just like with kids, dont have another to solve a problem!!

I do daycare two times a week for my male.  he is a nut job full of energy, and after Mon & Wed of full 8 hours play, he sleeps the rest of the week.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think he just needs some time to adjust.   Give it time, work on him esp with some of the suggestions and stick around.   Learn tons on a forum:)

G

·
0 Posts
and just to let you know..if he is not used to a crate...he will cry cry cry bark bark bark whine whine whine...possibly for days...start slow..when he is quiet...open the crate and praise him...if he is loud...ignore him...it takes a lot of patience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts