Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snickers is now 5 months old, and we still are having issues with the crate. Barking, howling, frantic pacing, biting and scratching at the door and walls of the crate, copious drooling (it's dripping out the door onto the floor outside the crate) and now she has started to develop a sore on her muzzle from trying to open the door. At 5 months old, she's only 26 pounds and the vet thinks it's due to the amount of energy she's expelling during crating. I've crate trained dogs before successfully, and have never had a dog react like this, especially for so long. At the vets suggestion, we've tried Calming Chews, Licks calming aide, benedryl (had the opposite effect- holy moly!), and currently trying Adaptil pheromones in the crate. The Adaptil has been used for the past 2 days, and we have not seen any difference. Next is a thunder shirt, but to be honest, I have a feeling that won't work either. Sectioning off a room is not an option, as she had scratched the crap out of the wall and door when it was closed.

Has anyone had to use medication on their boxer for this?

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
You do not need medication for a 5 month old puppy.

Does someone work from home or is a stay a time home parent? Curious as I can see this being a big part of the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My husband works first shift, I work second. There is about 3 hours she's crated between when I leave and my husband comes home. She also goes in if I need to run errands before work, although I try to keep these to a minimum.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Any updates progress improvements?? Three hours in the crate should not be any big deal ... crying and carrying on about it, for nearly an hour is. If nothing has changed ... and you want the dog in the "Crate". Then your going to need to "Keep it Real" for her. :)

And you don't need drugs for a "puppy" doing this crap ...that sounds like Victoria Princple "type advise" at it's finest ... good luck with that. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry...I've haven't been on the boards for a bit. The situation isn't any better. No luck with the thunder shirt. She broke out of the crate two more times (my fault for not triple checking everything on it to make sure it was secure), but the second time she got out, nothing was destroyed and she had been sleeping on my bed when we got home. We're considering doggie proofing the house, and try letting her "roam free" gradually. I don't know what else to do. Dehydration is a serious concern if we have to crate her more than 4 hours. She drinks her bowl dry as soon as she's let out now, and she's only in there for 3 hours.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Aww man ... it's a Boxer and a girl! Unfortunately I suppose I'm a Sexist and the girls have
me wrapped around there fingers! I have only had to "keep it real with" one female a first of the street female (rescue) 75 lb APBT, she luv'd people and luv'd Rocky but she had a "serious cat" issue and I have five cats!! So the cat chasing/killing??? Crap was not gonna stand ... that took me a concentrated 24 hour effort to accomplish but at the end she bowed down to the kitties! Job done but sigh ... I had to give her back to her owners. :(

Aww well a slight aside ... I tend to do that! So ... if I set aside my personnel basis ... I would say you need to correct the dog for misbehaving in the Crate! Three to four hours of Crate time ... is not a big deal. If she went to a Board Train ... she would not be allowed to do that crap. JQP average pet owner allows that kind of foolishness ... "Pro's" do not! If necessary they would take the bedding out put the dog in the Crate get her a few minuets and if she won't settle, they would correct her for not settling in the crate!
Shut up dog ... end of story!

And for corrections ... most likely Pro's would use and E-Collar??? And if the dog is unsettled the would hit the button?? But for most people a "Bonker" is a better solution a towel bound with rubber bands and if you hear the dog being unsettled ... you'd throw at the crate and say or "NO" or nothing ... act of GOD correction ... I best not be nosily in here or something bad happens???

Larry Khron for one does not allow his dogs to free rome the house for two years! :

And for anxiety issues, in general I did these threads and Baillifi on the GSDForum is a Pro and he knows his stuff.:

Separation anxiety = Shut Up Dog!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

http://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/181570-separation-anxiety-shut-up-dog.html

So ... go over that stuff and you will have a better idea of what you should do and how it's done. But ... if you just happen to ask me ... well what did I do ... when I got my baby girl ... it would be a bit different! I've never had to say because no one has ever asked. :)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Kai will be 3 in Sept. At night he is put in his crate,end of tory and remains there quietly until I'm ready in the morning then I take him out to potty he comes in eats his breakfast then usually goes to my daughters room and goes back to sleep on his bed in there till whenever she gets up. He is now free in the house until bedtime. We no longer crate him if we leave for any reason. Usually someone is home and until recently if we were gone for a period of time he had to go in his crate,,,, it was just our system of consistency Its nice now that he is totally trustworthy . We only keep the crate sleeping at night because we do not want to "lose" this just in case its ever necessary. I don't know how to handle the anxiety of Snickers though. I am thinking she got away with it early on and its only escalated. At about 8 months Snickers still has a way to go in being trustworthy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Where is his crate? Have you tried throwing some treats in there, once and awhile, to just have him find them? Will he ever just lay in the crate if the door's open? I used to leave the radio on an opera channel.

Do you live in an area where there's lots of outside noise, or traffic? If they are afraid of a sound, dogs can spread that fear to something else in their visual field.

Have you tried a kong with frozen peanut butter that he only gets when he jumps in the crate? I've always told my dogs that I'm going to the store and will be back. I've lied, but they hear that and seem to go lay down before I leave.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Sorry...I've haven't been on the boards for a bit. The situation isn't any better. No luck with the thunder shirt. She broke out of the crate two more times (my fault for not triple checking everything on it to make sure it was secure), but the second time she got out, nothing was destroyed and she had been sleeping on my bed when we got home. We're considering doggie proofing the house, and try letting her "roam free" gradually. I don't know what else to do. Dehydration is a serious concern if we have to crate her more than 4 hours. She drinks her bowl dry as soon as she's let out now, and she's only in there for 3 hours.
Hmmm first bit of advise ... is vets are not dog trainers. Boxers can be notoriously skinny growing up as puppies (don't know about the males??) But if you are feeding the amount of food recommended on the bag ... which I tend think it to much in most cases, and your dog does not appear to be ravenous ... then she's fine.

The fact of the matter is you don't need to Crate your dog/puppy ... if ... you have the right puppy and the right approach! And the right approach is to get "Everything Else Right!" I broke all the rules 5 times with 5 puppies and it worked out fine ... until it didn't!

And then came Rocky!! First puppy I did not raise form 8 weeks up, he was 7 months when I got him and it went well ... for a time. And then at 14 to 17 months or so ... it all went, send you to the ER for stitches sideways! Breaking up pack fights (no Boxer involvement.)

I made two fundamental mistakes with Rocky (OS Wl GSD.) Never having need of a Crate in the past?? I misunderstood there second purpose??? I assumed ... that a Crate is to keep a dog/puppy well safe of course by keeping them form tearing up the house and stuff?? My puppies ... did not do that and neither did Rocky ... so why bother with a Crate?? That was mistake number one! Mistake number two which I was slow to recognize was the old 'my other dogs/puppies thing did not do (X) so why do I need to change from what I've always done in the past that worked out fine???

What I did not understand about the Crate was that is was not merely about keeping a dog/puppy out of trouble. It is also about establishing Rules/Structure and Limitations. You will "Kennel Up" dog/puppy and you will "Shut Up" while your are in there ... or there will be consequences! Right now for your puppy there are no consequences for ill behavior ... if I act like an A-Hole, for long enough ... I'm outta here, it works out fine for him, for you not so much??? And the more a dog practices a bad behavior ... the better they get at it. That's where your at.

And by and large the first go to choice of dog/puppy owners getting on board the "Fail Train" ... is Aroma Therapy, Drugs and a Stronger Crate! Got one right now on GSDForum, rescue and the dog has ripped through the wire crate! Drugs and a Stronger Crate are the go to for Positive Only and when and if it fails?? Positive Only folks are going to take there now seriously ill behaved dog ... right to the nearest Gentle Paws trainer! And when that crap fails with them ... the dog will be pronounced unattainable and the best course of action is to relief them of there demons and PTS. It happens all the time. :(

Right now that's kinda the path your on, and more freedom would not be the recommended course of action??? Three hours in the Crate is just not that long??? And the only dogs/puppies that should be allowed to sleep in an owners bed are dogs and puppies that don't have any serious behavioral issues. Most likely ... if you are willing to "Keep Real For Your Puppy" three or four days of concentrated effort with "consequences" for ill behavior in the Crate ... and you'll be over this crap! I've not given a recommendation for in Crate Consequences/Corrections yet. But all of this "stuff" is important to let you know where your at! So ponder it over and get back to us. :)

Leave no Boxer behind is our motto here! :)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I rather think that crate training from day 1 is important and not giving in to the whining and carrying on. Once you give in it goes downhill. To me the crate helps to establish who is in command and teaches the dog its ok to be alone and not with my human constantly. I always thought is helped a dog not become anxious and have sedation anxiety. But I don't know but I guess there are always those that are wired that way too. I wouldn't know what to do in that case so I leave it to you Chip. LOL

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I rather think that crate training from day 1 is important and not giving in to the whining and carrying on. Once you give in it goes downhill. To me the crate helps to establish who is in command and teaches the dog its ok to be alone and not with my human constantly. I always thought is helped a dog not become anxious and have sedation anxiety. But I don't know but I guess there are always those that are wired that way too. I wouldn't know what to do in that case so I leave it to you Chip. LOL
The part in Blue is dare I say is universally understood??? Rocky did not have those issues, so you know ... why use a Crate???

The part in Red combined with "High Rank Drive" see here:
Temperament - German Shepherd Guide

Something I did not understand at the time??? Bully breeds (my thing) are not "High Rank Drive Dogs" and for the most part if well trained and behaved early on not as subject to the "Old my dog changed thing" months down the road??? Happens all the time on GSDForum and depending on the owner ... it's back to recuse or PTS for you dog!

When you have a Dog/Puppy with issues ... you have to first "Stop and Think" Out think your dog. And if what you are doing is not working ... do something different??? And once the Pack Fights issues were resolved ... Gunther Passed due to unrelated issues so Rocky got to be Top Dog by default! :chair:

Then we moved to outward directed Human Aggression issues ... WTH??? That's when I stopped fighting and started thinking?? With an assist from Marilyn on account of I was pretty ticked off with "this" stupid dog!! Five pack fights, my dog attacked ..by my dog?? A permanently bent little finger, breaking up fights and the first stitches in my life ever, I was done ... should have got a Boxer!!

But Marilyn, said let it go or give him back to "Dog Town Rescue!!" Well ... No dog gets the better of me, so I took a deep breath and let it go! And now it was time to "Do this thing!" And for me the H/A thing was the best thing that could have happened for Rocky and myself! This crap shall not stand but what to do ... so I looked on line for advise and I discounted, PO trainers out the gate! Crap advise could get someone bit and that was not gonna happen on my watch!!

And the solution was actually astonishingly simple and it consisted of what I had always done anyway with Struddell and Gunther and my other puppies but not with Rocky??? Walk your dog, except with those dogs if asked to Pet the answer was always Yes Please Do but what if I said "NO!" And with a slight spin on this (Rocky went behind me) for a while if I stopped and talked from 5 feet away and I body blocked as required (I gave no clear access to him to strangers) but it was pretty clear that it was hands off my dog.

No treats, no distraction ... just deal with it dog ... your job is to do nothing ... when I stop and talk to strangers. He got that and it worked out fine, and he never got a single correction for poor behavior with strangers ... when I finally the public on a case by case basis to interact with him! But you know he's not a Boxer so even to this day .... I'd rather say NO then Yes to may I pet with Rocky. Aww well ... there is more to the story because "now" we were "partners" ... I just did not know it yet. :)

A rather long tangent there but my point is to "SnickersMom" that you are not the first to be over whelmed with a difficult dog or puppy. But it is make or break time. I'm not real big on the "life time of struggle thing" myself so you need to pick a camp. PO or a Balanced Trainer approach and Balanced Trainers don't duck issues ... they address them!

Your puppy seems to be a bit worst then I originally thought?? My bad ... I only saw got out slept on the bed did not tear up crap. But how did it go last night???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts