Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through all the old forums and unfortunately could not find any solutions to my current problem with Templeton so I'm looking for solutions.  Please Help!!!

Templeton gets along with everyone whether it be at the leash free park or random dogs on the street and is usually always the dog at the bottom of the ladder who is always being humped.  Over the past couple months Temp has started to bark more and more when he sees a new dog (which is fine most of the time) but now when Templeton sees random dogs he wants to lunge at them as he barks hysterically and loses all sense of concentration or focus.  He's not aggressive at all and usually once he meets the other dog he's completely normal again.  This behaviour is starting to make me worried and most people think he's some dangerous dog from the way he acts when another dog becomes present.  This is definitely making our walks downtown very uncomfortable and I'm debating on taking him to the leash free park anymore.  Templeton has been well socialized and loves playing with any other dog.  

How do I rectify this problem before it becomes worse???  Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry to hear he is acting that way, wish I had some suggestions other than talking to a behaviorist but I am sure that others will be able to give you some ideas.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Could just be that his hormones have kicked in and he does not want to be low dog on the pole anymore....It could also be from being on a leash that he is acting more agressive as in a defense of protecting who is walking him (you).  I dont have alot of experience in behavior issues so I am not the best help on this one....But, hopefully someone else may have some suggestions....Is he neutered already?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

Templeton was neutered when he was just over 5 months old and now he is just over 1 year.  I have no clue what to think when he acts out especially at the bark park when a couple minutes later he ends up playing with the dog he was just attempting to aggress. However sometimes I have to hold him back a few minutes because other people think he's dangerous.  Templeton has always gotten along with everyone and is usually very laid back.  His barking screams are scary though.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lucy does the same exact thing. Her hair stands up and all but I have found that when I am able to introduce her to the other dog, she is fine. I had chalked it up to just getting her out more and getting her more socialized.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer does the same thing and it started a couple months ago.  He's 14mo and was neutered at 6mo.  I can't say for sure about Tempelton, but I know Ringer isn't being at all aggressive.  He gets so fixated on meeting the other dog that he totally zones out.  What has been helping out for me is constantly working recall while in the dog park and click-treat when he is good while on the leash.  So far, the recall is making him check in with me more so he is aware I am around, hence he can follow commands.  The click-treat on the leash is helping him be more controlled as the distraction gets closer.  Work the click-treat from as far away as it takes for Temp to pay attention to you and not the other dog.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.  Temp is the same way...in no way is he aggressive but it sure appears that way.  He becomes so fixated on another dog and I am sure he just wants to go and visit but other people around become quite worried that Temp is a danger.  I will have to look into the clicker training.  I also just called a trainer to help me work with Templeton and this horrible vice of his.

G

·
0 Posts
Bo is a lot more vocal towards other dogs while on a leash than off...When he first met Jetta...he just barked and barked and barked on the leash...when we let him off leash, he was much better.  A lot of times the leash drives them crazy because they can't get to what they want to get to.  Sorry you are going through this..>I know it can be rather embarrassing.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oscar greets other dogs with a woowoo and his hair standing up, the dog trainer watched his body language and said there is nothing aggressive in his behavior.  I just explain that he sounds tougher than he is to people.  She also recommended I sit outside on a bench near heavy people flow so Oscar gets desensitized to other dogs and people passing by.  I reward him every time he doesn't bark/growl and tell him "good quiet".

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately with Temp it doesn't seem to matter whether or not he is on or off the leash or if I am beside him or at a distance and the bark he's making isn't a typical dog bark...it's a screaming bark.  Sometimes I wonder how he even makes some of the sounds he does.  

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This is demand barking, this is not a socialization problem.  He is instisting on meeting the dog or person on his terms which is right now!  It is extremely exciting to our dogs when they see things they'd like to check out.  I would make Temp places and make him do a nice sit at your side at a distance where he can learn to calm down and connect to you.  You will be in charge of all greetings.  It will take work and distance for a while.

I don't take my dogs to dog parks.  Too big a risk and I deal with clients and friends who have and there can be some bad outcomes from them.  I've heard and seen many. It really isn't fair to take a dog, like Temp, to one where he can be repeatedly bullied by more dominant dogs. You are the "pack leader" so take your pack to places where they can look to you for your wonderful guidance. He needs playmates that he knows and that are appropriate for his type of personality and where the owner is taking an active role in the activity of their dog.

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You're welcome.  My 3 1/2 yr old male still screams when he sees certain people he knows that really jazz him up but it is now limited to only a handle full of people that drive me nuts too.  It will take some work, but it sounds like Temp is a wonderful dog and I wouldn't want anything to change that.

Nano

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is demand barking, this is not a socialization problem.  He is instisting on meeting the dog or person on his terms which is right now!  It is extremely exciting to our dogs when they see things they'd like to check out.  I would make Temp places and make him do a nice sit at your side at a distance where he can learn to calm down and connect to you.  You will be in charge of all greetings.  It will take work and distance for a while.
I hate to say it LOL but I agree with nano..     shhhhhhhhhh don't tell any one!
I quick leash correction with a no bark and sit stay is what I would try. Maybe try walking around your neighbor hood for some light training before the dogie park where he may get over whelmed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the delayed response...I was away for a few days.  I'm not sure if I should stop taking Templeton to the leash free park.  Even though he's usually the dog always being humped by the others he still absolutely loves going.  He whines before I even turn into the parking lot because he is just soo excited to go and play.  He just seems to pick dogs at random to bark at but walking him downtown is causing the most problems by far.  I will give Nano's suggestion a try but any other suggestions for when he is at the leash free park???

Thanks everyone for your help so far!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news...So I met with a behavioural trainer today regarding Templeton's behavioural issues with other dogs.  She seems to think it shouldn't take to long to correct and thanked me for calling me when I did instead of letting the problem progress more.  It sounds like I have alot to learn and am looking forward to it.  I will keep you guys posted...keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is great news, please keep us updated with his progress.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is great, sounds like Templeton will be back on track in no time

1 - 20 of 20 Posts