Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
I don't have one from them, but they don't look like a breeder I would go with. They don't mention any health testing and it looks like they have tons of dogs. They also talk a lot about preserving the working side of the breed, but they don't seem to be working their dogs either.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I took a peek at their website and here are the red flags for me:

1. They say that they guarantee their dogs against certain health (and temperament) issues for the first three years, but there's no mention of any health testing that they put their breeding dogs through.

2. Each dog's bio should at the least have information about it's parentage and health testing, all they provide is a picture which, although it might look great, doesn't tell you anything anything about the dog's genetics or health testing.

3. Under their bloodlines tab it talks about the German line of boxers, but again says nothing specific about the bloodlines they use for breeding.

4. They have A LOT of dogs, and don't have any information about working or showing their dogs.

This is not a breeder I would purchase a puppy from based on the information available on their website.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
The previous posts re Landos are correct. As far as breeders go you can not go wrong with Kacos. She does ALL the health testing as well is very knowligable about the breed. I have a 3.5 yr old of hers and he has never had a sick day in his life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've done a lot of research and I would only ever get a boxer from either Biancales Boxers or Kaco Boxers in Ontario. My Bella comes from Biancales and is the healthiest dog ever!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Do not buy from Landos... rather set your hair on fire and flail around aimlessly...

I had a girl from her who had bad heart, knees and hips had to be medicated at a young age (3) for pain then finally lost her battle in feb.

From the breeders that I know Biancales and Kaco's both in Ontario are great and have upcoming litters. I have a Biancales boxer and she is a total doll who has been in shows won ribbons and is hip, elbow, DM and ARVC checked and certified Good or better. (DM and ARVC are genetic tests). Lilly is 5 now and bounces around with our puppy and has never had so much as a sniffle.

Both those breeders do work well together and are truly in it to better the breed. They have fresh international blood from strong stock with CH lines and screen their owners well. They are forthcoming with medical records, answer questions and I know for a fact they have both accepted boxers back for rehoming when life circumstances intervened for their adopters.

There are one or two other breeders they know from Ontario that they may refer you to if there are litters about when they are not expecting puppies. To that I say follow the leaders of the boxer breeder world...

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
I think a few things are very important when researching for a breeder.

1) Don't go just off the appearance of a website. Some breeders would rather put more money into appearing like they are reputable than actually doing any type of health testing. The same goes for reputable breeders. Some have horrible websites but have the reputation and documentation to back them up.

2) Go and physically see and meet with the breeder if possible. Look at the condition of their dogs, where they are kept and where the puppies are raised. You have the right to ask to see these locations. Everyone has their own comfort level. Some don't mind a commercial operation where as others prefer a more family/home raised breeder.

3) This is by far the most important!!!! Never take a breeders word for it. Always ask for documention that supports their claims. Before you place a deposit ask for copies of all health testing for BOTH parents. Also ask for a copy of their purchase agreement and highlight any areas that you have questions about. I can't count how many times I hear other breeders say " yes we health test " when 9 times out of 10 the client never follows through with asking for proof.

Bare minimum you want hips, heart, thyroid and DM testing done.

4) Follow your gut. If something isn't adding up or if you find yourself questioning the person you are speaking to....walk away. Don't fall for the cute little puppy that you have to rescue and get out of there. If more people stopped supporting these bad breeders, it would make them go out of business as it isn't worth their time to discount and hang into older puppies. Only the consumer can shut down BYB's and Puppymills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts