Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will possibly be getting Nita this weekend.  Right now my brother is feeding her purina dog chow :-&   She is quite thin and she supposedly gets 2-3 meals a day.  I am looking at different dog foods and considering a raw diet.  She is 9 years old and I guess she is considered a senior.  I don't know what the thoughts now a days are on senior foods but they all seem to be lower in fat and protein.  Since she is so thin, that doesn't seem like a good thing.  I am thinking that I will do a kibble, canned and raw diet.  I would like to give her a few meals a week that are raw to help keep teeth clean.  I've been doing lots of research and I am torn on what to do for her.  

Here are the foods on my list right now:

Nutro High Energy

Evo-I like the no grain idea but it has really high protein, May just go with the canned variety and different dry

Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul

Canidae-I am not crazy at the high rice content

Wellness Core

What are your thoughts and what have you had good luck with?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If you are looking to do raw and still want to use kibble best bet it to try a grainless kibble.

Welness Core
Timberwolf Organics
Taste of the Wild
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon
Innova Evo

Are a few brands of grainless.  I would start her on a transistion to the grainless to see how she does with the more natural ingredients compared to the old food.   I would do that for a good 6 months, then introduce some raw.    I just think her system will take some time to get off the dog chow and used to the human grade kibble.

·
Registered
942 Posts
We use Nutro high-energy with Milo and if we try to feel him anything but high-energy, he looks very skinny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts