Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two are eating Natures Recipe (Healthy Skin Venison variety) at the top end of their suggested daily amount, fed twice a day. Kira is 2 and weighs around 50 lbs, Shadow is 4 and about 80 lbs. last time I checked. Since Shadow joined our family, their activity levels have greatly increased and Kira has definitely lost weight and eats like she is starving. (Before Shadow came along she was a very slow, casual eater. I know she has learned it won't be there anymore if she isn't quick!)

I also add yogurt to their food daily and peanut butter kongs about every other day.

So, any food suggestions for very active dogs?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Their weights sound reasonable for their ages, but if you can see more than a couple ribs or if hip/spine bones are prominent you can try increasing the kibble (sometimes I think the guidelines are a little low for active boxers). I know exactly what you mean about your casual eater turning into a chow hound. Since Blitzen came along Donner has dropped a couple pounds from the increased activity and he eats like they're gonna quit making food tomorrow :lol: We've upped the food a bit, increased cookie consumption and have the occasional PB Kong. I've heard some on here add cottage cheese to kibble, just be sure they can tolerate the dairy :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
well mine are thin as well i think as you said its cause they play so much so they burn the fat ..once i asked the vet and he told me you dont need her to be fat ,fat dogs got the tendency to die before . i like them to be a bit fat though

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Boxers should be thin..but is she unhealthy?  Maybe she was overweight before?  Hard to say without a picture/description.  If ribs and spine are showing like DonnersMom said, then add an extra cup of kibble a day.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Marq & I were just talking about this as well..Angel's activity level has really increased since the fences went up and he was wondering if I should start feeding her more..As she need to lose a couple pounds, I'm going to wait and see, but if you want to add more protein, maybe do a Kong every day to start with and increase the food by about 1/4 cup..Give it a couple weeks and see how that works...I would up food in small increments, cos believe me it's very tough to cut back on the food, ask Samson  :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I've tried to get a pic of Kira to show her very little tiny waist, but she won't stop beaning for me to get it! She is definitely not dangerously skinny, I'm more concerned how quickly it came off. (Shadow has only been around a month and a half.) Her ribs seem fine, but her build looks more greyhound than boxer to me now. I'm probably just a worry wart!

I'll increase the pb kongs and treats some and start looking to switch to one of the human grade kibbles. (Less "output" sure would be a nice benefit!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts