Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been going on for a while now.

Zelda is about a year old now, and she gets these bumps all over her body. I took her to the vet, and he said it was a Staph infection. Some small, some about as big as dimes. The vet prescribed her some antibiotics, and they actually went away for a while. He requested a prescription shampoo, but he said once you start using it, you cant just go back to Over the counter shampoo. It has started coming back, and I was just wondering (because the prescription shampoo can get pretty expensive), if anyone has ever had this problem, or know how to get rid of it???

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: ANYONE???

How quickly do they come and go?  About 2-3 times this summer Lola came into the house covered in bumps, but they were insect bits (probably mosquito).  By morning you wouldn't even be able to see them, but she'd be really covered in them at night.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Re: ANYONE???

hmmm thats what happens to Isis with grass...few on her face and top of head and all over her body...well not her stomach jsut sides and back..the ONE time they got really bad was the time she went on prednisone and a cream followed by the genesis spray & or cream we have both...

she scratched them so badly that they broke open and bled...they wouldnt get a chance to heal

thats when we found out about the grass allergy...mostly fresh cut but now here its something IN the grass (whatever they use with it)b/c it hasnt been cut yet its newly planted..

her bumps are all different sizes too but never bigger than a dime..they never said staph though so i cant helpya there...

there are alot of people on here that knwo so so much about boxers though...hopefully they will post for ya

·
Registered
362 Posts
Can't go back to regular shampoo after prescription?  Don't quite get that.  Anyway, if that really is the case, a good way to stretch shampoo is to mix it 50/50 with water.  You end up using much less that way because it lathers up more easily.  I'm using what I think is a prescription shampoo on Cooper called SulfOxyDex.  Helps clean the pores out and kills bugs that might be on his skin.  I had to use it about every other day when I first got Cooper because he had so much going on with his skin.  It's been about a week since his last bath and he's not smelling too funky since he's almost done with his antibiotics.  The vet found 3 types of bacteria with Staph being one of them.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah got hives during the summer when we would go to the dog park and there was dew on the grass.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They don't itch her, so I don't know, could they be allergies?

They are just bumps, and sometime, series of bumps that get crusty after a week or so.

That is why I thought they came in the first place, because we switched shampoo to the stuff that dries faster, then switched again to an oatmeal shampoo (thinking it might be dry skin) and it got worse. Finally we ended up just going back to the original shampoo, and they went away for a while, but now they are back to get their vengeance! ERRRR!  :x

Frustrating... :(

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
jeez sounds exactly like what Isis's bumps do..the ones on her body dont seem to bug her..come and go...

we tried so many expensive shampoos and ended up with lavender baby shampoo...only thing that was mild got her clean and never bothered her skin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts