Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Anyone else's boxer gone through the same symptoms and what was the outcome

4K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Julie T 
#1 ·
We got a beautiful white deaf boxer female. She is 8 years old. I was wondering if you could give us some advice. Last Thursday she slept all day. When she did go out into the garden she was very unsteady on her feet and seemed disorientated. Friday she was still the same but toppled over. We immediately took her to the vets who done bloodwork and checked heart lungs etc but all was fine with the results. Gave her injections of pain killers antibiotics and anti inflammatory. That evening she seemed to look like she was going to sit but not like her back legs were weak. we had followup appointment next morning. The vet said it's neurological either lesion on her brain a tumor or a stroke prescribed antibiotics and steroids. She is completely back to her old self. The vet basically said she will be on steroids for the rest of her life. She has had a lot of ear infections but apart from that she has been perfectly healthy. Have you had any experience with anything like this? please advise

#6 ·
My boy Kai had similar issue and it came on sudden. His gait was off, he almost looked like he was walking on "egg shells", plus he had trouble chewing his food. Looking back it started with his food but he was due for his annual and we thought it was his teeth. His was neurological and the same week his gait was off he had a seizure that the vet just couldn't bring him o ut of. He was only 5 1/2. His vet initially treated him for a deep inner ear infection though he felt it may be neurological but this all happened within a 5 day span of time. The only way to know for sure would be to have a MRI done, we didn't even have enough time to do that as his seizure started before his appointment date.

#9 ·
So sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your reply.
Maya is totally back to her normal self she is not wobbly her gait is totally normal. She is eating and drinking normal. It's like she was never sick. I am constantly watching for any change in her though. Finished her antibiotics and steroids are at lower dose now but up to now she is doing good xx

#7 ·
I am very sorry you are going thru this with your dog like Kaco Boxers said this could be a lot of things sounds like they have ruled out the most likely stuff first so that's good. Its encouraging that she is responding to the steroids so maybe that will give you some more time with here. Boxers are prone to brain tumors so there is always that fear I hope she continues to improve. Has the Vet suggested doing an EKG on her? Her heart may not be enlarged but maybe could have a rhythm problem? I know my last two had heart issues and they would collapse and be weak sometimes.

#11 ·
I am so glad she has improved. Kai did not really improve on antibiotics, we thought so for a day b ut I think we were seeing what we wanted to see, he rapidly became worse. I am glad your girl is ok, maybe it was just a inner ear infection in her case. Always glad to hear good news!

#23 ·
Oh NO! I am so sorry especially since she was doing so well maybe this was a brain tumor situation after all. I know this hurts really bad and I and others here can surely feel your pain. She will always be with you, as long as she lives in your heart she is never fully gone. Our condolences

#25 ·
We are here for you for sure I can probably speak for everyone here we have all been there at one time or another losing our precious babies. I hope you be able to come to some peace with this it sounds like she had a wonderful life with someone who loved her and a lot of dogs don't get that. I am sure she is at peace now.

#26 ·
Oh no, I'm so very sorry to hear this. So sorry for your loss of your beautiful girl Maya. It's so hard, especially when you think everything is going to be ok and then it isn't. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you need someone to talk to. I know how you feel, it's never easy and it's especially hard at the beginning like this, such an incredible void is left in your life. I'll be thinking of you.

#27 ·
I am so sorry for your loss, having gone thru this too a year ago I know the pain. We have a canvas portrait of our Kai hanging in the kitchen (made by Walgreens). It has brought tears and smiles on our faces over the past year. Your Maya has left her paw print not he hearts of your family...may she run free!!!

#28 ·
Julie, look into a thiamine deficiency as it applies to your pet's imbalance symptoms. Two forms of thiamine, sulbutiamine and a TTFD form called Lipothiamine are more efficient passing through the blood/brain barrier. Magnesium is needed to activate thiamine. Also, liposomal vitamin C will strengthen her blood vessels reducing chances for a hemmorrhagic stroke and improve her immune system. Liposomal vitamin C is less likely to cause gastric upset. She is probably producing a much lower level of C making her more prone to infections. Check with your vet before using any supplement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.