Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chloe had this sealant stuff put on her teeth yesterday during surgery, it is to reduce the plaque and tarter buildup from sticking to the teeth. I also got a take home kit to apply the gel once a week. My first dog I owned I got from a shelter and she had the worst teeth ever and towards the end only was able to keep 2 teeth total, rest had to be pulled. So I'm kinda paranoid about Chloe's teeth. Her vet told me yesterday that her teeth are in perfect condition and with this stuff on plus brushing like I have been, she shouldn't have any trouble with them.  Anyone ever use this before??  Hubby thinks I fell for a marketing scam so now I'm curious lol. OraVet

·
Registered
236 Posts
I haven't heard of this but plan on asking my vet about using it on Dixie & Champ.   I'm pretty paranoid about my babies teeth too.   Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We use it on our Dashund.  His teeth are terrible.  He's good about letting us put it on but when we let him go he tries to lick it off.  It's only been about 3 weeks so I can't tell you if it works well or not.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He never said Sharon or he might of I just didn't pay attention due to being so nervous about the surgery. I didn't think the price of it was to bad,  22.00 to put the sealant on and 19.00 for the take home kit which has 8 applications in it and that would last me 2 months. Is it really worth it tho Sharon? I do brush her teeth every night but I don't know how clean I am getting them due to her trying to eat the brush..lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think the take home kit is a must  :D   The reason is that like when we have our teeth cleaned, it is done in the same way for dogs.  The same machine and scalers.  So everything is removed from the teeth (bad and good stuff)  This opens the pores of the teeth.  So not building a film or a layer of protection on them again in the first week after cleaning would actually cause them to stain faster.  If that makes sense. We use OraVet, it is a good product.  We dont offer it as an option after a dental it is included in the dental price because they need it.

However....after the 8 day Q-tip looking box then you go to a regular schedule of brushing.... there is no need to stay on it forever....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you again for the great advice Sharon!  I'm also gonna make hubby read this because he thinks anyone can sell me anything, He really thought it was just something to get more money out of me. Now I feel better.  :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Tell him that any other time he may be right   :roll:  ....But this time you are!  :D

If you never wanted to brush again you could stay on the OraVet but since you already said you brush her teeth just do your 8 days....It will fill in all the spots in the teeth that were scrapped and then brushing should just slide the funk right off the teeth .....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts