Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going with canned only seems expensive but I was thinking of adding a can to Lola's dry food about once a week for a little variety.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I tried it, but found that it made her poop super super soft even when i only gave her a little bit...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Had the same problem with Gunnar, poop got too soft.  However, for Ginger's sake I just this week starting giving them a can in the evening with their dry food.  So far they've both done ok, even Gunnar.  Just going to monitor their progress.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Rather than canned food, try a bit of low sodium broth perhaps, or a bit of yogurt, mine love that..It also helps with Gas,,, :roll: Add in some veggies as she gets older, green beans and carrots are especially good

·
Registered
37 Posts
i add a can food to chloes dry food twice a week.
i feed her beneful canned meals and dry food is beneful puppy.
she only gets the canned twice a week.
she gets a vitamin every day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I change his diet he always does soft poop even from dry food to another, I do give him some caned food once a week and on saturdays I add a can of tuna it is very good for the fur it becomes silky.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I give a third of a can with each meal.  It's really just for the taste, there's feck all nutrition in it!  The way i see it is she's getting complete nutrition from the dry food so there's no harm in adding a little something to make it tastier for her.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree with samsonsmom- i give some yougurt to Savannah. She is kinda picky and so far hasnt really eatin anything unless the yogurt is mixed in. Is there a limit to how often to put the yogurt in with the food?

·
Registered
616 Posts
We feed dry kibble in the morning and at night the split a small can of wet mixed in with dry kibble.  We started that with Scout because he needed to gain weight and felt it was unfair not to give it to Gunner.  We just adjust the amount of dry in the evenings now so they don't put on too much weight.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"4943 said:
I agree with samsonsmom- i give some yougurt to Savannah. She is kinda picky and so far hasnt really eatin anything unless the yogurt is mixed in. Is there a limit to how often to put the yogurt in with the food?
i dont know if there is a limit, but i put 1 1/2 table spoons in with her food in the morning...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Andrea, if she's tolerating the yogurt ok, you can feed it every meal. I did that with Angel for the first couple weeks to help her get some weight on...Especially if that gets her to eat!!!  :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"4943 said:
Is there a limit to how often to put the yogurt in with the food?
Make sure when you feed yogurt you use plain unsweetened yogurt ( and not vanilla either). The dogs don't need the sugar . Make sure to look at the label to make sure it list contains live bacteria, probiotics, or acidophillus - that is the magic ingedient that makes it so healthful.

1 to 2 tablespoons a day is plenty.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
boxersaige\";p=\"4956 said:
I was told that dairy products are not good for dogs...I buy his own milk that they normaly feed to puppies.
thats not true....

of course some dogs are lactose intolerant, just as some people are...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well i am glad that i have a better amount. I would put a about two spoonfuls of yogurt (plain-no flavors)  in her food. Savvy needs about 10 more pounds on her, she is a little underweight right now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does dannon or yoplait make the plain unsweetened yogurt?  I looked around for it at the grocery store and didn't see anything besides the flavored kinds.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i dont know for sure... we get the grocery store brand

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Dannon does make plain unsweetened yogurt. It's usually in a bigger container than the 6 or 8 oz yogurts. I don't really know the size.  :roll:  I like the Stoneyfield brand because they contain a wider variety of probiotics than the Dannon, although Dannon has now come out with a product called Activia with more variety.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink LOVES natural yoghurt, I give her about 2 tbps a day to aid her digestion, but if I mix it with her food she won't touch it.  It has to be on its own.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had no idea, I've been giving vanilla yogurt to my 2.  I just read it was good for them, what might it do to them.  They've been getting about 2 tablespoons a couple times a week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts