Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I stated before, sued to when living overseas in Cambodia and other places, the dogs we had - all they ever ate was table scraps. Rice, bread, bones, chicken, pork, beef, etc.. Left overs. So essentially they only ate what we ate. They all seemed to do fine. Back in the old days, like when my father was a younger in the 40s and 50s, he stated that was all they ever gave their dogs left overs.

Have a friend, he has a Daschound, that is all he feeds it. Scraps from his meals.

So anyone else exclusively do this?

Sometimes, (and no, I am not going raw or going to prepare home cooked meals for my boxer), I think it would just be easier - since he always begs for what I want, is to just feed him the same as I do. Especially since I am eating healthier (other than the occasional trip to McDonalds ; ))

Give the dog some scoops of rice from the rice cooker and some of my cooked chicken, eggs, venison, veggies, fruit etc. (Found out Hank likes watermelon and bananas).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
In my opinion, and fairly sure you will disagree... Feeding just table scraps for your "puppy's" meals isn't a good idea, you really can't be sure your pup Is getting the adequate nutrition, especially at an age where he needs it the most..

·
Registered
373 Posts
I feel as though maybe you're just trying to stir the pot with this after the responses you recieved from the "treat" McDonalds meals.

This is irresponsible, and if it is a fact of it being "easier" then maybe you shouldn't own a dog? If it is too much work to put kibble in a bowl? And to refrain from feeding your dog foods that are really harmful to them. There's my two bits. I have held back for a while on posting something and just ignored what you're saying but your poor puppy. Sure he looks happy and loves it but he is a puppy and you're his owner. You are supposed to be responsible and look out for his health... Not that I am sure you'll listen to me or anyone else on this forum...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most of our foods are not healthy for US. Research will arm you with a wealth of knowledge to make informed, educated decisions for your dog. You have stated before that veterinarians know far more than people on the internet so maybe you should consult him/her.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Aww guys give him time to grow up!Yes he says silly provocative things at time! But he is not belittling and insulting people AFAIK???

Fact of the matter is, it took me about two years "here" to finally calm down!

I deal with real "tools" on the GSD Forum! German Shepherd Dog Forums

One of them is so bad that I have spent hours apologizing in PM's and asking members not to leave! Overs Size GSD's tend to draw out the AH's over there...Lot's of warning from mods and closed threads tend to follow!

Mod's hit the E collars alot over there and "we" seem to have a rep online!

Mr IPO is what I call one of the "tools" in PM's to members! :)

Trust me Leopardprey, is tame by that standard! Give him time, I know it's hard but if he says something to silly...don't respond...yes easy to say I know! :)

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
The way things used to be isn't what is good now.

We used to ride in the car without seatbelts. We know better now.

The only way a diet of leftovers would be healthy would be if you were eating a biologically appropriate diet with vitamins and minerals meant for dogs. You are not a dog.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish we could find his info & contact animal welfare :/ this poor puppy.

"Oh, no, he gave his dog a cheeseburger, and he gave him some table scraps - he is so cruel to his dog! :cry_baby::cry_baby::cry_baby: And he does not refer to his dog as a fur baby or as it's Daddy. He is so unloving. We need to report him. :cry_baby::cry_baby::cry_baby:"

Gosh, some of you people seriously need to get in touch with reality. Seriously.

All I did was ask a question, and people have been feeding scraps to dogs, and dogs doing well, for years and years and years. Rice and chicken,pork, veggies, seems like a dog would do pretty well on that. Seen dogs thrive on it before.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I feel as though maybe you're just trying to stir the pot with this after the responses you recieved from the "treat" McDonalds meals.

This is irresponsible, and if it is a fact of it being "easier" then maybe you shouldn't own a dog? If it is too much work to put kibble in a bowl? And to refrain from feeding your dog foods that are really harmful to them. There's my two bits. I have held back for a while on posting something and just ignored what you're saying but your poor puppy. Sure he looks happy and loves it but he is a puppy and you're his owner. You are supposed to be responsible and look out for his health... Not that I am sure you'll listen to me or anyone else on this forum...
I think you need to re-read what I posted and not read into things too much. :chair:

:discuss:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I feed my boys a homemade diet, I cook it myself, but they also have dry food blue buff. out always and I also give wet food 1 time a day for vit and nutrient. I also just started on a tablespoon of plain yogart for Mason tummy.
I have done the occasionally Mcdonalds cheeseburger or soft serve ice cream for a special occasion, like a bday or our bdays.... I have even given them a hot dog when we had a family 4th of july picnic but these things are only a occasional treat..
but then again I am one of the crazy woman on here who calls them furbabies and I am their momma plus they sleep with us.......

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feed my boys a homemade diet, I cook it myself, but they also have dry food blue buff. out always and I also give wet food 1 time a day for vit and nutrient. I also just started on a tablespoon of plain yogart for Mason tummy.
I have done the occasionally Mcdonalds cheeseburger or soft serve ice cream for a special occasion, like a bday or our bdays.... I have even given them a hot dog when we had a family 4th of july picnic but these things are only a occasional treat..
Can you adopt me? Sounds pretty good. :chef::clap:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Why not? Do low-fat table foods, but ask your vet to recommend a multiple vitamin to add daily.

I must add that my husband's mother killed their cat by home-cooking liver, and fish dishes. They didn't provide the needed nutrition for a cat. Again, add a vitamin supplement. Back then they didn't have the fancy tests to diagnose endo conditions.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I too, gave my dog an occasional piece of my cheeseburger, or a tid bit off my plate. When I made pasta, I left some plain and gave her a small amount. Baked potato some plain, I even made her a sweet potato now and again. Shoot, she even loved my cheetos and tortilla chips. I gave her some of those things because I felt bad that she had to be crated 9 or 10 hours in a day at times because I had an irresistible daughter who got a dog and left her mom to take care of it. However, I know better now. I moved into my parents house and took my daughters dog away from her, not that she cared anyway. She was younger than and loves the dog, but just didn't want the responsibility or the financial stuff that came with it. Until 2 months ago, I gave pieces of steak, or a taste of what we had for dinner. Then she got very sick with pancreatitis. She can no longer have that stuff. I get stare downs when I have dinner but I had to be strong. She is better, but I will always have to be careful with her diet now.

All I'm saying is that an occasional treat of a burger may be ok for some dogs but not all.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I too, gave my dog an occasional piece of my cheeseburger, or a tid bit off my plate. When I made pasta, I left some plain and gave her a small amount. Baked potato some plain, I even made her a sweet potato now and again. Shoot, she even loved my cheetos and tortilla chips. I gave her some of those things because I felt bad that she had to be crated 9 or 10 hours in a day at times because I had an irresistible daughter who got a dog and left her mom to take care of it. However, I know better now. I moved into my parents house and took my daughters dog away from her, not that she cared anyway. She was younger than and loves the dog, but just didn't want the responsibility or the financial stuff that came with it. Until 2 months ago, I gave pieces of steak, or a taste of what we had for dinner. Then she got very sick with pancreatitis. She can no longer have that stuff. I get stare downs when I have dinner but I had to be strong. She is better, but I will always have to be careful with her diet now.

All I'm saying is that an occasional treat of a burger may be ok for some dogs but not all.

A nibble of a cheeseburger fine... 3 FULL cheeseburgers?!?! Sounds like a recipe for diarrhea all over the house! I know that's what that stuff does to me!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
3 cheeseburgers... I have a tummy ache just thinking about it.. lol I have a bad stomach and my meds don't seem o be helping, hoping I don't end up in the hospital again, I hated leaving my boys... as we speak I am wearing a heart monitor or 30 days for palpatations.. so tired of being sick but at least my boxies take good care of momma

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Normal stools, no issues for Hank after 3 Cheeseburgers. Though he was smiling and took a little nap, after he came up and gave me a kiss and said "thank you master!"

Hank is a little eating machine, he could have eaten 3 more if I would have let him.

Probably be a few more week though before him or myself get cheeseburgers.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I removed your phone number. Please do not post such personal information.

Everyone - Please keep the posts civil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When we had our Burtess, we would feed him a good quality kibble, but also a small portion of what we were having for dinner (if it was a relatively healthy dinner). Mashed potatoes, rice, veggies, roast beast, chicken, pork, etc. but not any heavy fried foods or spicy stuff. He lived a pretty good life like this and I am convinced that he had no tummy problems because he has such a varied diet.
I did not search for and read the other threads about the cheese burgers but I wouldn't feed food like that to my dog.

Everything in moderation!!!!

Burt :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts