Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Fact is people did feed their dogs table scraps along with dog food like Ken L Ration...We had a collie like that, l lived outside too. Looking back I could say wow how did we. But that dog lived a long long time , to at least 10 which was pretty old back then, he actually died from smoke inhalation when the island we were living on had forest fires everywhere . I remember this dog had a bite history, my dad took it because it had bitten 3x and was scheduled to be put down, he had come from a show home. I grew up with that dog and often tried to share his food bowl...

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I didn't even look at the number! Now that is funny. Jenny Jenny!

But still - it is pretty sarcastic and I would like to keep things civil and friendly here. LeopardPrey - You are the newbie here and every time you post controversial topics you are surprised by the response of our longstanding members.

As for our longstanding members - It is better to say nothing unless it is constructive.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I feed mostly 5* kibble to my 11 month old boxer however I feed the following "scraps" but put in the bowl and given at the usual feeding time.

Meat - both raw and leftover cooked, cut up properly - no cooked bones
Fish - raw and cooked from leftovers.
Veg - all the bits that humans would turn their noses up at - no onions
Fruit - as above but no grapes or apple pips.
no bread/cakes/buscuits - boxers are usually allergic/intollerent

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have not given my dog coffee yet, and never will. But, every morning he loves the smell of the coffee grinds, and always sticks his nose on the bottom of my coffee cup, begging for a drink.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have not given my dog coffee yet, and never will. But, every morning he loves the smell of the coffee grinds, and always sticks his nose on the bottom of my coffee cup, begging for a drink.

When Wyatt was 2/3 months old I had my coffee cup on an end table and went switch laundry, when I came back he was lapping coffee from my mug and made a huge mess on the end table and leather couch! I didn't even know at that point he could jump onto the couch, he was still learning steps. Now at 3 yrs old he tries to get a lick of coffee if a mug is left unattended!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
all is fair when it comes to a boxer and a unattended thing, you leave for a second you didn't really want your seat, your food, your coffee or even your shoes... that's part of a boxers charm

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
all is fair when it comes to a boxer and a unattended thing, you leave for a second you didn't really want your seat, your food, your coffee or even your shoes... that's part of a boxers charm
Or translation, the Boxer really wanted to get yelled at and a spanking and get his A$$ kicked! :cry_baby::clap2:

I have learned the hard way. that Hank cannot be left unattended. So in the crate he goes if I am leaving the house and cannot take him, if I want to take a nap, when I go to take a shower/shave.

If he disappears for more than a couple of minutes, when we are in the same room, I go get him cause I know he is up to no good.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Or translation, the Boxer really wanted to get yelled at and a spanking and get his A$$ kicked! :cry_baby::clap2:

I have learned the hard way. that Hank cannot be left unattended. So in the crate he goes if I am leaving the house and cannot take him, if I want to take a nap, when I go to take a shower/shave.

If he disappears for more than a couple of minutes, when we are in the same room, I go get him cause I know he is up to no good.

Same as having a child. When there's silence is when you know they are up to no go!

·
Registered
484 Posts
My dad has learned that in the kitchen you cannot leave anything within Amor's reach laying on the counter. She has stolen a cooked Italian sausage, my mom's stuffed cabbage, and I walked in there one night when I saw her walking in the kitchen and there she was with a raw pork chop trying to swallow it whole. Now we put stuff toward the back of the counters or stove. I swear, she can be so silent when being sneaky.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My dad has learned that in the kitchen you cannot leave anything within Amor's reach laying on the counter. She has stolen a cooked Italian sausage, my mom's stuffed cabbage, and I walked in there one night when I saw her walking in the kitchen and there she was with a raw pork chop trying to swallow it whole. Now we put stuff toward the back of the counters or stove. I swear, she can be so silent when being sneaky.

If wyatts not by my side and I can't hear him, I go searching. Usually he's sleeping in the other room or drinking from the pond (blah!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
My toothless 14 yr old dog was having seizures up to 15 times a day I took over cooking for him instead of feeding him the high quality canned food I had been. 1 1/2 years later and he has no more seizures. His diet is 100% balanced because I researched what I needed to cook for him to make it a balanced diet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow this is crazy. I also grew up when dogs got table scraps and meals that we ate and lived a long awsome life.
Some of you with those posts - do you even know what is in that kibble you are feeding your dogs?????
Have any of you seen a wolf eating kibble??????????

·
Registered
771 Posts
Before one starts to judge, I would suggest reading this full thread and others like it on this forum, as well as the forum rules. We are all on this forum to educate each other and seek help and understanding in times of need. We all do the best with what we have and what we can do to do the best for our babies. Do I agree RAW is probably the best way to go? Absolutely, but I don't feed it. It's not an option for me at this time, and my mother, whom is a veterinarian, stated she would disown me if I switched to raw. - that is for another topic- RAW is not without complications or simplicity either. The right balance of essential nutrients is needed to be balanced in order to make a positive impact. There are horror stories of pple not doing RAW correctly, or bones getting choked on or stuck as well. Nothing is without risk. There are many on this forum that feed raw, some have had success- some have not- every dog is different. But to stand up and say just because kibble is fed that it's absolutely horrible is a terrible lie and misconception. There are some very good kibbles on the market, and I for one have spent DAYS researching food and ingredients for my baby- much like others on this forum. Furthermore- there is a HUGE difference between RAW or home cooked feeding and TABLE SCRAPS. If you take the time to read the full thread, and testimonials from others- table scraps can set off terrible bouts of pancreatitis, which is very serious. It can lead to a dog becoming diabetic as well, and having to take insulin shots for the rest of their lives. Please don't judge others before you either put yourself in their shoes- or educate yourself.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Before one starts to judge, I would suggest reading this full thread and others like it on this forum, as well as the forum rules. We are all on this forum to educate each other and seek help and understanding in times of need. We all do the best with what we have and what we can do to do the best for our babies. Do I agree RAW is probably the best way to go? Absolutely, but I don't feed it. It's not an option for me at this time, and my mother, whom is a veterinarian, stated she would disown me if I switched to raw. - that is for another topic- RAW is not without complications or simplicity either. The right balance of essential nutrients is needed to be balanced in order to make a positive impact. There are horror stories of pple not doing RAW correctly, or bones getting choked on or stuck as well. Nothing is without risk. There are many on this forum that feed raw, some have had success- some have not- every dog is different. But to stand up and say just because kibble is fed that it's absolutely horrible is a terrible lie and misconception. There are some very good kibbles on the market, and I for one have spent DAYS researching food and ingredients for my baby- much like others on this forum. Furthermore- there is a HUGE difference between RAW or home cooked feeding and TABLE SCRAPS. If you take the time to read the full thread, and testimonials from others- table scraps can set off terrible bouts of pancreatitis, which is very serious. It can lead to a dog becoming diabetic as well, and having to take insulin shots for the rest of their lives. Please don't judge others before you either put yourself in their shoes- or educate yourself.
Very well said.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts