Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at pictures and a couple of very short videos of the puppies in Izzy's litter.
It appears to me that Izzy is the smallest of the puppies in the litter.
Just wondering if anyone else here has gotten the smallest from the litter that their boxer came from?
If so, did you encounter any problems as a result as far as health, growth ect.?
How is your boxer doing now and how old is it now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Both of my babies are runts.  Check out my pics that I have posted on the forum.  There are some recent ones on my thread BoNLaila pics.  SOmething like that.

Bo was even bottle fed, mom wouldn't let him eat.  He is 3 months and around 20 pounds.  Happy and healthy.

Laila is somewhat smaller, is one week younger, however is also happy and healthy.  I think runts make good pets.  Some people even say the runt is the best one to get.  Anyway, I'm happy with my runt babies.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My husbands dad has a female boxer that was the runt of the liter, she is beautiful and hasnt had any health problems out of the ordinary shes smaller than most boxers i have seen but other than that shes pretty normal ::)

Her name is Sassy

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Kassy was the runt, she was always very healthy and happy and just a bit smaller than a regular boxer, her she is fully grown sitting on my lap (she was still small enough to do this!!)

and compared to a 6 month old bearded collie (her buddy)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Kaci actually wasn't the runt of her litter, my DH said she was the biggest of her litter...now her litter mates are all normal sized...and she's obviously not.

My Doberman, when I was younger, was the runt and he ended up being 110lb Doberman.

In short, don't take the runt thing to heart :D

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Pups can be smaller than some because I think as pups they are establishing their order in the pack.   (Again IMO).   The stonger pups will be the first to feed, sometimes pushing the others out of the way.   So just because she is the smallest right now, does not mean anything.   She could stay a small pup, or become bigger than the rest, all at 100% healthy.  Just make sure when you get her, you take her to the Vet for a 100% complete check up.   Most breeders require a checkup within 72 hours of taking possession of the pup.  This is just a back up to have another Vet look at the pup and deem it healthy.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My pit bull Rascal was the runt of the litter, ended up being normal sized and passed at 15 years old.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know if I have the runt of the litter or not.  Lola's dad was 75lbs and her mom 55lbs.  Lola is almost 14 months and 51 lbs and I'm not thinking she'll get up much more than 55, maybe 57-58.

I had first pick of a litter of 7 and Lola was the most passive or docile of the litter (when it came to being rambunctious, barking and even pushing her way in to feed).  I was worried about getting a boxer and the dog being too hyperactive so I picked a docile one (well that and I loved the white on the mask, she was the only one of the litter with it).  I don't think anyone would ever describe her as docile now, she's the life of the party and one of the most outgoing dogs I've ever seen.  Friends with every dog she meets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Willy was the runt.  He was bottle fed, and the only real problem is that he feels the need to be touched all the time.  Other than that though, he is very healthy and bigger than most of the pups in the rest of the litter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Girl was the runt of the litter ,
she was so small family and friends didnt think she would make it  ! now at 80 lbs she is wonderfull
she has been with us for 6.5 wonderful years  but she was diogonised with lymphoma 2 wks ago
i am sad to have to let her go but i made her the promise  to her when the good fight is gone i will let her go , :cry:  :cry:  :)
she has been my companion , protector ,and best friend  
we count every good day as a blessing  :)

boxers are the best dogs lifespan sucks !
check her out
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/295526/in/stroll/

·
Registered
880 Posts
Jetta was not the runt of the litter either (like Kaci) but she turned out mighty small!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Phoenix was the runt of her littler...her mother was also the runt of her litter.
She is about 10lbs smaller than her sister that I've met and not quite as tall.
But she's a healthy happy baby! Well I guess she's not a baby anymore.
She will be 17 months old on the 30th of this month and she weighs 51lbs.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona was also the smallest of her litter, when we picked her out.  Like HannaB said...it does not make a whole lot of difference in having the small one, because they can grow to be the largest one sometimes.....However, Fiona is now 13 months old and is 50 pounds.....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Maple was the runt, but she was also the only girl and she was the feistiest puppy out of 3 litters! lol she seems to be catching up rather quickly last time she got weighed was at 4moths and a week and was 26lbs  8O

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Both my girls were runts, Tink is now a whopping 73 pounds, clearly the run thing hasnt effected :p lol Maddy is defidently small in size for her age, but shes 60 pounds.

·
Registered
291 Posts
tyson was the runt of the litter and his brother went to a good friend of my hubby' s (appartently the dog is now with his ex wife) When he saw our dog he said his dog was smaller! ???? i was also concerned because tyson had gotten parvo a long time ago and i know that had stunted his growth during that time- however now that i have ace who is 7 to 8 monthsyounger than tyson - tyson is an inch smaller than he is as well as 25 to 30 lbs lighter!!Ace was a little obese and would run out of breath easily now that he is one royal canin has dropped a couple of pounds and is very entergetic!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ashley too was the runt of the litter. Sire 110 lbs, Damn 65 lbs..she ( Ashley ) is 31 lbs as of today..just shy of 4 months 2 weeks...
Guess I have to agree the runt doesn't always turn out to be "runty"...lol

·
Registered
439 Posts
Penny was the runt of the litter. She was half the size of the biggest littermate and still is. She is almost 2 and about 37lbs. She is happy and healthy and has not had any problems.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts