Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my girlfriend emailed this to me this morning.  has anyone heard of this?  i don't know how valid the source is, but now i'm curious if it's true).

Here

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Take everything that is said to heart..Boxers are big chested and very prone to bloat...All large dogs are to a certain degree, but that big chest makes it more so....Do a quick internet search and that can be confirmed, but every book on boxer care also addressess that....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the info...I don't think I had heard of it before.

We were going to exercise before giving food (i jog in the morning, and wanted him to come with me once he is big enough), so the dog feels like they worked for their food.  So are you supposed  to exercise them and then wait an hour until they get their reward (food)?  Aren't they not going to remember why they are being rewarded?

Does water drinking contribute to bloat, too?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Working out a shedule will take time..First about the jogging...Until your pup has had all his shots, keep his walks etc limited to your property. Afterwards, the rule of thumb is 5 mins for every month of your pups age...The bones need time to grow, so I'd take that slow as far as the jogs....I walk all of mine and it's a great way to bond with them, plus work on obedience. Something you might find helpful is teaching Beckham to sit and wait before crossing the street with you. I did that and it kept me from being hit by a car a few times....

I wouldn't treat their meal as a reward actually. But as far as when to feed, it's going to depend on how much time you have in the morning. I would take your jog first before feeding, that's what I always did when I was working. Then fed them later before I left...

Water can contribute to bloat if they over drink. I monitor mine in the hot weather to avoid that from happening...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for all of the helpful info.  We are first time mommies, and want to make sure we do right by this little guy and give him a happy, healthy life.  

Yeah our vet told us to definitely wait on walking until the shots are done.  After that happens I wanted to start walking with him in the morning, and then work up to a light jog.  It will just mean I need to get up earlier and feed him later, which is obviously well worth the effort.

Again, thank you; I am so thankful to be part of this forum :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think you will find it a very enjoyable way to spend time with Beckham. I always do...I laugh at their antics, what they see while out walking, how they react to new things and of course all the people that stop and want to see the lovely boxers... :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Bloat is a serious condition. I previously worked at a 24 hour emergency vet clinic, and saw my fair share of bloats. Luckily not that many of them passed, most of the animals our doctors were able to save. I agree with what Samsonmom has said completely. Be careful and the schedule does take time to develop, but some things are worth the wait! :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good advice from everyone!

The stomach will be distended on one side in the case of bloat.  I have heard of people using Phazyme to help relieve the gas while on way to vets and having good results with it.  I feed mine 3 meals a day to help cut down on the bloat and also cook my meals for my spoiled pooches!  I have never had a case of bloat (knock on wood) by following everyone's suggestions in 26 years of Boxerdom!

Nano

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
avoiding bloat

just wanted to thank everyone for the information in my previous "bloat" post.

i'm afraid i've turned myself into a GIANT worrywart - i am so scared and overprotective of beckham getting bloat.  

i'm just wondering what other people's schedules are like with their dogs.  what is considered too much exercize right away?  for what age groups?

i'm just trying to educate myself on this so i don't run around with the constant fear of the unknown.  i just want to take as many precautions as i can. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Until he's had all his shots, I'd be careful about any walks or anything off your property. Once the shots are done, the rule of thumb is 5 minutes exercise for every month ....So if your pup is 4 mos, the you can take a 20 minute walk..The bones are not fully developed until they are a year I believe, so be careful..No jumping thru hoops or nothing.....Lol....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Star actually had this.I had to rush her to the ev once but until i lost her it only happened once

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
samsonsmom\";p=\"4831 said:
Until he's had all his shots, I'd be careful about any walks or anything off your property. Once the shots are done, the rule of thumb is 5 minutes exercise for every month ....So if your pup is 4 mos, the you can take a 20 minute walk..The bones are not fully developed until they are a year I believe, so be careful..No jumping thru hoops or nothing.....Lol....
thanks much for the advice!  yeah we don't walk him really, except down to the mailbox which is like 1.5 minutes, hehe, and when he has to potty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good advise!

And it also brings up an old memory.  When I was a kid, our English Bulldog acted like he wanted to vomit.  My father and I took him outside and he had the dry heaves for at least 10 minutes.  I bet that is what he had.  I'm glad he survived it.  He lived to 14 and had to be put to sleep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts