Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the vet this morning and she was talking about dog food and she said something about Blackwood. Has anyone heard of this brand of food? One of the vets said that they feed it to all of their dogs and recommend it for others. Here is a link to their site.
Blackwood

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never heard of it. It doesn't look too bad, but I don't like the citric acid and the corn meal in it. Citric acid when wet can be a risk factor for bloat and the corn is a known allergen. Whenever I see a product with corn in it, I just stay away from it.  :wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
My toy poodle eats the Catfish variety & loves it.LSU vet school recommends it for allergies/yeast problems.  check out the 2000 & higher varieties..no corn I think.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The 3000 didn't have corn or wheat.  Looks like a lot of food in one day though.  Kiah would be about 4 .5 to 4.75 cups a day.

FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS:
Weight of Dog - Food per Day

10 lbs. - Or Less 1/3 -1 1/4 cups
10 - 20 lbs. 1 1/4 - 2 cups
20 - 30 lbs. 2 - 2 3/4 cups
30 - 40 lbs. 2 3/4 - 3 1/4 cups
40 - 60 lbs. 3 1/4 - 4 1/4 cups
60 - 80 lbs. 4 1/4 - 5 1/4 cups
80 - 100 lbs. 5 -6 cups

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Corn is considered to be highly allergenic. Corn meal is the entire corn kernel, finely ground. That's why I just stay away from it.

A Purdue University study found kibbles containing citric acid which were moistened prior to being fed may be an increased risk for bloat. No one really says what causes bloat, they just give risk factors.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Actually, meal is one of the best protein sources. It is just the "meat" that has had the water rendered from it. Chicken meal would be the best source of protein in dog foods.  
Being that the ingredients you read say poultry meal, they aren't specific in what kind of poultry. It can be any type of fowl or any other bird, which means you really can't tell the nutritional value of poultry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
OK I read the system wrong.  I thought when it said "Meal" it was non-specific and for that reason it would be bad.  But if it says CHicken meal it's fine but if it says Poultry meal it wouldn't be fine for the reasons you stated.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yes, so if it said chicken meal, it would actually be a better protein source than if it just said chicken.  :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
We use Blackwood.  One of the ditributors actually delivers it in our area.  I really saw an imporvement in her coat when she started eating it.  I have no complaints about it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Anyone heard of Blackwood Dog Food?

Hank and Timber have been on it for about 2 weeks now and they seem to like it and have had no problems so far. It is the only food that Hank will eat dry. Timber( lab/golden retriever mix) will eat eanything you put in front of him.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We feed ours Canidea dry and wet.  BOTH of my pups love it.  I found a new wet food that is incredible!  I have never heard of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts