Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Anyone Know how long is it safe to give Kaeopectate?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Skylar 
#1 ·
How long is it safe to give Kaeopectate? I have had Lucy on it - 2T bid for a week now with only one day break, then she had the runs again so I put her back on it. I am alittle nervous keeping her on it for a long time....

#4 ·
sharonL\";p=\"51114 said:
If the loose stool has not got better within a week you should stop the keo and try something else getting to the bottom of the loose stool....Pumpkin or call the vet and see if they can give you something like endosorb tablets to help
Thanks Sharon!

#5 ·
Harley has had a few run-ins with the " squirts" and the breeder told us to give him Pepto. He hates it, but it does the trick!!! I am reading a lot about pumpkin, does that really work, I've never tried it. How much do you give? Do you use the can pumpkin, or the fresh pumpkin?

#6 ·
Canned pumpkin is what you're looking for.  Which is good because you can buy some and just keep it on until you need it.  Just make sure its not the pumpkin for baking, you want 100% pure pumpkin.  I gave it to my pup when his stomach was a little upset and it worked great.  So great that I am feeding him a tablespoon almost every day, especially since I am changing his food again.  I believe a little pumpkin and yogurt a day can help with digestion and prevent upset stomachs.

#8 ·
From my experience,  the pumpkin usually works right away.  Like Sharon suggested (and she'd know better than anyone), you should probably call the vet.  I'd be concerned about a week long digestion issue.  The one negative thing about the pumpkin is it could potentially mask some sort of underlying allergy or stomach issue.  You might want to think about switching foods or try eliminating certain treats, wheat, corn, etc

#10 ·
Oh I didn't realize she was on medication for a previous condition!  Probably normal what's going on then (I'm guessing). Sounds like she's doing better, so that's great.  I'm not sure what the actual dosage should be for pumpkin, I wouldn't give too much.  I started with 1 tablespoon. I give about a spoonful a day now. I know some people say a teaspoon but a teaspoon is not very much at all, I can't imagine that making much of a difference.  But I guess it's always better to start small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.