Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...hubby got given a hare yesterday - his boss is a hunter. I've never prepared hare before and it was rank :sick: !!!! I thought it would be like rabbit but it stinks!!! I have NEVER smelt anything so bad! Voltaire, of course, couldn't get enough of it. Hubby hung it on a tree and did the revolting skinning job, giving Voltaire lots of 'nasty' bits which he thoroughly enjoyed! When i got it out of the fridge this morning i really didn't think i could go through with it (give me anal glands to express anyday :wink: ). I was going to give the whole lot to Voltaire when hubby phones to say his boss loves hare terrine and to keep him a slice when i'd made it :( -bugger!! So i got kitted out in gloves, apron and tied a towel over my face - i'm really not exagerating the smell! I managed to bone the damn thing and prepare it - Voltaire begging, whining and doing the 'baby sniff' thing the whole time. It's marinating and will be cooked tomorrow. But i swear hare is a good doggy food - not a human one. And as for a BARF diet - Voltaire would be all for it - "love that raw stinky meat".

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: ha! You wouldn't be considered a good french wife if you couldn't handle all the smelly and strange things the french eat!! But so far this has definitely been the worst - and i've cooked some weird stuff!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food, so all I can say is...  :sick:   :puke:  If it smells bad, it doesn't even make it into the house!

Annette, between the anal gland thing and the foods you prepare, you are a much better woman than me!  :wink:  And no...I guess I wouldn't make a good french wife!  :no:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
There is no way I could do that Annette -- I can't even thing about it being in my kitchen - ick!!!  I have to give you credit for being a good sport and cooking it though - your a better person than I.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Anyone tried HARE? (pics of how it turned out!)

Haha!! I'd almost forgotten about it....and now you bring all the bad memories back :wink:  - The terrine turned out really well.....to look at. I never did have the stomach to taste it!! Hubby & boss ate the lot though! Just praying :pray:  he doesn't EVER bring another one home!
Here's the before cooking and after cooking pics to prove it!
Before cooking

After cooking (and still smelling strong :sick: !!)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Thanks for the photos Annette!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to mix it with pork because it's too dry....but why am i telling you this????? hahaha!!! Noone out there is mental enough to make it!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'd like to try hare sometime!  Gotta say though, sounds kinda gross the way you describe it.  I don't have much to add but Voltaire looks awesome, love his color and glossy coat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts