Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a gated driveway. When they see another dog, they both get excited and start barking and running along the gate but sometimes Sam will go after Lucy.  Lucy is very submissive and just runs away so she is never been injured or anything...I wondered if anyone else's dogs do this. For any of you trainers out there, why do you think they do this? I am guessing it is mostly a frustration thing.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: Anyone with two boxers or a trainer with some suggestion

I've actually read that when pack members are trying to get at a rival, and they are blocked/contained, they often go after each other to work off that energy.   I'm sure someone else can explain the situation better though.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Sully is right, I believe it is called transferred aggression, or barrier frustration.  Like he said, it is b/c they have all this energy and frustration with not being able to reach what is outside the fence they turn to another dog within reach.  I'm trying to google some ways to correct it, but all i've got so far is to exercise them a lot so they don't have as much energy, lol.

i might start with getting them to stop reacting so much to the other dogs- see fence aggression (even if it isn't really aggressive behavior at the fence) it should give some ideas on how to minimize their reactions at the fence.  I'd say a couple barks is acceptable, but constant barking and running up and down is not.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Ours girls did this.  When they weren't able to get what was outside their area they went after each other.  We never were really able to stop them from it.  They did it outside when there were other animals or people (usually wild animals or neighbor cats who roamed around) they just wanted to see the people and were usually so excited and happy that they didn't fight over that just other animals.   If we were in the yard with them they didn't fight just barked but when they were out alone they would get into it with each other.    The best thing we found that worked was not to let them get worked up, as soon as they have barked a few times a loud ENOUGH, NO or STOP worked to help get them out of the zone.  Our problem is the neighbors have three little dogs and NEVER watch them, they come over into our yard all the time and drive our dogs nuts.  

They did it inside when they saw the animals outside from the window or the UPS man came.  When they did it outside we gave them a firm NO and tried to distract them with something else like getting them interested in a toy, calling them in, etc.  Inside we distracted them with a treat, play toys, etc.  We also tried to be on the look out for what set them off and keep it at bay.  Like before they saw something in the yard we distracted them until it was gone, etc.  That was when we had three female boxers.

Now we have a male and female and it isn't as bad.  They have gotten into it a few times over that but usually we can get it stopped before they get mad at each other.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks all - that is basically what I thought. My hubby thinks we need to sit out there with treats one evening and work on redirecting them when people or animals pass by. That is the only thing we can think to do. Like I said, it has never been anything serious because Lucy just runs away but I still worry and it is, I am sure, obnoxious to our neighbors.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Redirecting them when they start reacting to the fence is a great idea.  I see that Lucy is less than 1 year old.  Her attitude may change once she matures more.. it may be another year or so, but one day she may decide enough is enough and try to stand up to him.  :/

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks, goodgirl...I better nip this in the butt now before she does!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Yea, I see that with mine as well...Someone pulls up outside, it's like they both try to get to the door first and in their haste turn on each other...The funny one tho is when they both try to get out the doggie door at the same time  :lol:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I am glad to hear my kids aren't the only ones who do this. We worked with them some last night with treats and redirecting...still a long way to go though!

·
Registered
780 Posts

Seems like they never fully "grow" up so it is a constant job to keep them redirected!  8O    :D   Good luck and if you find something that works well while you are working with them please let us know!  I can always use more things to try with this!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

Redirecting them, especially the dominant one, with treats works with mine.  It isn't an instant cure and I will use a lead to keep my female from having the run of the yard, bedroom, etc if someone is coming over or something is out there.  That way he can get away from her and both can think about it independently.  My female (16 mos) does it to my male (3 1/2).  In the car I keep her tethered behind my drivers seat so she can't do it to him when she sees other dogs.  They need to learn to settle down and this takes time.  Excellent advice from everybody!

Nano

·
Registered
320 Posts

New here...... WHEW!!   Glad I found ya.

I have 3 schnauzers - 1 male/2 female.  They have grown up together.   Zak is the alpha of the 3.   Now, we have Lulu.   She is 8 months and weighs 42lbs.   Zak (and the others) are 20 lbs or less.   Now, Lulu is still a puppy, but she hasn't figured out that she's bigger than everyone else.  :)    

I had this incident the other day.   My neighbor's Sheppard (Rocky) jumped the fence and came into our yard.   Luckily, we have a 6 foot wooden fence around the back.   However, Zak and Lulu (the other schnauzers could care less) could see Rocky through the slats in the fence.   At first, it looked like a game.   Zak and Lulu would race up that one side of the fence where Rocky was.   Then, all of a sudden, Lulu started having this light foam on her mouth and then just attacked Zak.   I had to yell for my husband to come out because I could not get Lulu off Zak.   He was finally able to break them apart.   At first, it didn't look like there were any wounds, but about 20 minutes later, I see about 5 little puncture marks in Zak and blood was coming out.  Nothing bad enough for stitches, but... he was still bleeding.   I've spoken with the neighbor and they know they have a problem with Rocky jumping the fence, but aren't sure what to do about it.   They put Rocky in their house one day and they said he destroyed furniture, etc.   Now, they put him in a crate outside when they are gone.   I hate this for Rocky, but...... it's not fair that I have to keep my dogs inside because they can't control their dog.    

Anyway, they are trying to keep him in a crate or something so he won't jump the fence and start a fight.   Still, I worry every single day while hubby and I are at work that they will fight when we aren't home.   If Lulu gets Zak again, I'm a afraid she won't let go and then..... well, I don't want to think about what would happen to Zak.   :(

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I am sorry you had this experience - I hope some of this information was helpful to you. I know I always find some very useful tips from this forum as there are some very experienced knowledgeable folks on here. Hope Zak is okay.

·
Registered
320 Posts

THANK YOU!!!

He seems OK --- a tiny bit skiddish around Lulu, but I highly doubt he would back down if another match takes place.   Just praying that it doesn't.    I'm not ready to lose any of my "kids."   My oldest schnzuzer is 14..... but she still acts like a puppy.   She lays in the sun and sleeps most of the day, but if you pick up a squeeky ball..... the game is on!   She will fetch and return all her toys.   The funniest thing is her trying to bring back a frisbee.   Baby has such short little legs, she tends to trip on the frisbee.   She's my angel!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Aww, they are so precious! Thanks for sharing. Your babies are really cute.

·
Registered
780 Posts

They are adorable. I had a relative that had schnzuzers and they were great dogs!

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have three. They are all very protective of the house, whenever they look out the window and notice another dog (or just a stranger) they start barking and one of my females, Penny, will bite at the other two. I yell at her then she stops but I'm afraid one day it'll cause a fight between her and one of my other boxers. Especially when we're pulling up and it takes me a few minutes to get inside the house. Luckily Bailee is more submissive and passive so she won't bite back...and Bart is still young but he'll get older and won't take as much I fear. I thought I was the only one with a problem like this.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I don't want to sound like a know it all, but my boxer does the very same thing...but he did it to the wrong dog. And was severely injured and now has to be seperated from that dog. Long story will explain it in another section....BUT in anycase...the one sure fire way to release this habit is to take your dogs for a directional walk everyday for at least 45 minutes to an hour...to burn frustration and release any pent up energy. Polo...my 5 year old did this repeatedly and to anyone within range, including a pit bull mix that is not nuetered. It has turned Polo into an over dominant dog that thinks he has to be the top dog, that he beat some one up. The sad thing is, the pit mix wasn't even a year old when this happened and he may be ruined for life, not knowing if another dog is going to attack him, and may now have to put him down.
It was my mistake, thinking that putting them in our massive yard was good enough for exercise. Like any book will tell you a boxer needs some stimulation or will other wise become destructive uncooperative and out right stubborn.
Now as far as the redirecting them with a treat goes, I'm not sure that will work either, as you could and probably will be reinforcing this behaviour. "evertime I bark at the fence, mom's gives me a treat!"  Kind of letting him know that being mean at the fence and to his sister is the right thing to do. unlike most dogs, boxers think like people, they can almost rationalize with people and even compromise. Not willingly, but in order to make us happy they do. "i'll only go into my crate...IF you give me a cookie" Then they turn their head away from you or yawn in contempt, as if to say, "I'm so exhasperated with your silly commands."
My boy has learned to unlatch the gate and free everyone, alert me when the oven timer sounds (he gets a cookie when he puts his paw on the door), and to demo walls with the swift blow of his head. That one I DID NOT teach him. He likes to throw himself at the wall when cars drive by, or if you have a flash light or even better...a laser pointer!
All this light stuff is a sure sign of obsession. Boxers have no easy in between. They are either indifferent, or they go bananas over something. Like go for a ride? Want a cookie? And of course, when you tell them to go to thier kennel, it's like you are talking to a brick wall! I should write a book with everything I have experienced in the short time I have owned or been around boxers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts