Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've had trixie for more than 3 months and she's pretty well potty trained...or at least we thought. lately she's been going in the house, and when she's being watched at my mom's she goes on the floor too. i don't know if this is because she drinks a lot and just has to go all the time, if it's a puppy thing, or if it's an apartment thing. we at first were getting her to sit at the patio door to go on puppy pads on the patio and now she goes outside. i've tried the treats everytime she comes in to reinforce that's where she needs to sit. we thought she had it but has been being bad. i know she knows she's doing something wrong because of the look on her face when she does it.

does anyone have a boxer in an apartment and can give me some advice as to help her realize that she needs to go outdoors ALL the time?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
When I first got Kiah, we did bell training and it worked like a charm.  Don't anymore but she knows now how to let me know.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Unfortunately I can't give you any real advice because ... I live in an apartment and am having loads of trouble with my guy.  Treats seemed to work at first, but not anymore.  He goes whereever and whenever he feels.  I'm not sure if it's his age, but he doesn't seem to be getting it at all.  He also goes through times at night where he just pees like every 5 minutes it seems.  

Tonight he went outside, played on the balcony, came in and peed in front of the door.  Argh....

And as I speak, he's going beside me on the floor.....................

I feel your frustration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote="msdiamonddawg\";p=\"100774":1eif2neb]Unfortunately I can't give you any real advice because ... I live in an apartment and am having loads of trouble with my guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HannaBanana\";p=\"100759 said:
I dont live in an apartment but have you thought about bell training?
what's bell training? never heard of it, but i'm open to all things.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
try treating outside right after she goes, maybe by the time she comes back in she is confused about what she is getting teated for.... and also someone mentioned the bell training, it might be worth checking out.  we don't live in an apartment but I just started bell training Maple because I want her to be able to communicate with me better, she is actually catching on pretty good.  sorry I'm not much help either, good luck and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That's a puppy for you.  Just need to get them out any time they drink a bunch of water, they will go right after, or eat or wake up.  Then if they drink a bunch of water usually a half hour later they will need to go again at the age you describe.  One thing is that the use of the Pee Pee Pads teaches them it is okay to go in the house so that does confuse them.  I really recommend that people don't use those if they can help it.  Are you using something good to clean up the messes and get rid of the smell for the dog?  Something like Natures Miracle or the equivalent?  We humans don't always realize that just because it got rid of the smell for us, using a household cleaner, usually doesn't get rid of it for the dog who has very acute sense of smell. That can also make a big difference to them not going in the house.

Good Luck

Nano

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I lived in an apartment when I first got Rocky.  He had a few accidents in the house.  I just took him outside like every 30 to 45 minutes (while awake).  We had a little backyard though.  I would always sit him at the patio door and say "Do you need to go potty?"  a couple of times then let him out.  He finally caught on.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Treat when the pup goes potty outside.  Take the treat with you, when puppy goes potty, say "good potty!" and give the treat.  When puppy goes poo-poo, say good poo-poo and give treat.

Bell training.  Get a big jingle bell, or a bunch of little ones, run a string or ribbon through the thing, and hang it from the door knob.  Hang in low enough that puppy can nudge it with his nose and make the bell ring.  Every time you go to walk out the door, ring the bell.  If puppy is just sniffing the bell and makes it ring, say "that's good to ring the bell!" and take puppy outside.  Took my Henry about a month to put the two together, but he got it and now rings the bell every time he wants to go out.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
[quote="msdiamonddawg\";p=\"100774":3f4pnyd1]Unfortunately I can't give you any real advice because ... I live in an apartment and am having loads of trouble with my guy.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I live in an apartment and we successfully bell potty trained in 5 days. She has had a few accidetns since then (it's been 5 weeks since she was trained) but the reason behind the accidents is after her ringing the bell, I coudn't get to her right away and she couldn't hold it. But that is entirely my fault.

But if you say that she was pretty much potty trained and now she is going inside more, there has got to be more of a reason behind it because that is regression. And always give the treat outside. Not when they come inside. They say Dogs have a 3 second memory lapse or something like that so by the time you bring her in, she thinks she is getting a treat for coming through the door, not what she did a minute ago.

Also, I wanted to add that when we go to other peoples houses, I bring the bell and hang it on the door we would use to take her out. As soon as we get to the house, I hang it, show her, make her ring it, taker her out and she is good to go for the duration. So no matter where you are, she isn't confused as to how to show you she needs to go. She will have her trusty bell.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Can anyone take a picture of their bell so I can see kinda what you're talking about.  I'm sure I know, but I wanna make sure.  I might try it...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't have jingle bells. We bought a cheap bird bell and attached it to a fabric ribbon I had around the house. She uses her paw to make it ring. It's funny because I can actually tell how bad she has to go by how hard she wacks it. Sometimes she wacks it so hard it flies off the knob. LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys that really helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts