Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if you could shed a little light on this issue for me?  Spinx has been a big eater every since I got him.  I feed him Canidae all life stages food, and up until recently he was eating about 6 cups a day (in 3 different meals) which is above the range suggested (4-5) for a 50-100lb puppy, even though Spinx is only around 45lbs.  Lately, he has been really weird about his food.  This past week, sometimes he won't even touch his food, other times he will just eat a little bit.  Only once a day he actually eats everything in his bowl.  So my question is, is this appetite fluctuation normal for a 5 month old puppy?  He is still a healthy size, and he has not been sick, but he hasn't been eating like he usually does.

Any advice is appreciated,

Brian

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Appetite flucuations are for the most part normal. It tends to happen when they get on a good growth spurt. 6 cups of food a day is a lot of food though for such a little guy. I have never gone above 4 cups personally @ 2 cups twice a day.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
as long as he is not losing weight and his stool is normal, i would not worry.just keep an eye on it. sounds pretty normal though

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree it is pretty normal....Fiona went through that stage and about the same age...That was when I went on the search for new and exciting foods thinking she was bored, which only led me to vomiting and loose stool.  The food you feed is a good one, I would stick with it and let the growth spurt run its course...I have a to also agree that you are probably feeding a little much....At 5 months he should be able to eat 2 times a day instead of three...Which based on your amount would take him to 4 cups a day....2 in the am and 2 in the pm...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My dogs are currently on a hunger strike in the am.   I think its because Chikeese got voted off american idol, however it needs to stop.  I had to add in liverworst to their raw mixture this am to get them to eat.  Finally pulled up the dishes and said, ok starve!   So I am sure they like always will be hungry tonight:)

So hunger can def. differ.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"100038 said:
My dogs are currently on a hunger strike in the am.   I think its because Chikeese got voted off american idol, however it needs to stop.  I had to add in liverworst to their raw mixture this am to get them to eat.  Finally pulled up the dishes and said, ok starve!   So I am sure they like always will be hungry tonight:)

So hunger can def. differ.
=))  =))

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie's on a hunger strike too!  What's in the air????  She has refused to eat anything for two days, except cookies.  I know I shouldn't give them to her but she'd starve herself if I didn't give in.  She's 9 months old and about 47 - 50 pounds - so I don't know what her problem is.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Duke's grown, and he still has appetite fluctuations!  Sometimes he wants breakfast, and sometimes he doesn't.  I usually feed him 1 cup in the morning and 3 cups at night.  I tried the 2/2, but he's not a "morning person" and won't eat much early in the morning (6 a.m.)!  :roll:   Children are the same way; they'll eat more when they're growing fast, and less when they're not.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
ROTFLMAO Heather that is way too funny....Hunger strike huh? Never happens around here :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts