Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I was reading the thread yesterday about Jogging with puppy, and the rule of thumb of 5 minutes for every month they are old. Wrangler is now 4 months old so that would be 20 minutes (A day?)
So here is my confusion, is this kind of like a catch 22. A non exercised/stimulated dog is generally a destructive dog, especially as a puppy. So exercise is key to keep all well (I remembered reading the thread about puppy chewing up bedding in crate, the suggestion there was ensuring appropriate exercise was taken).
I know Wrangler + 20 minutes of exercise = hardly even did anything. Are there other ways to burn off energy/stimulate them without exceeding this 20 minutes a day? I have always been really worried about not allowing the joints to set properly but also, not exercising her enough and essentially making her lose her mind.
Any input on this would be appreciated :) This is more of a clarification thing :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I worried about the exact same thing. For Nelly, 20 minutes of exercise was a warm-up when she was four months old (after her last shots, I took her to a dog park for the first time, and she was at a dead sprint for nearly an hour.) I would say just stay away from stairs, limit the on-leash walking (aside from bathroom breaks) to 20-30 minutes; and get the puppy some time outside where he can run free (dog parks are great if he's had his shots.)

I think the "5 minutes per month of age" rule is just there to stop people from dragging their puppies along on long hikes (if they lay down while on a walk, that's obviously a sign they've had enough.). I also don't think its breed specific. Boxers need a LOT more exercise than many other breeds.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We were aware of this exercise limit and tried to stick to it, but when we first had Lily we were only supposed to take her for 10 minutes a day which was impossible.

The limitation of repetitive excercise is to limit the problems to their hips and joints in adult life. As previous post, avoid stairs and lead walking for too long. Also don't encourage them to jump - in or out of big cars etc. Difficult but its best we all are aware.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the posts back, I appreciate the personal experience :)
@Cxwx23 - I will definitely avoid doing any rigorous stair activity, something I never really thought of but definitely good to avoid (Except for when there is obviously no choice) I also agree that it would seem boxers do need that extra little bit, even when they're older, they seem to be little powerhouses :)
@Berkshire45 I will also remember to avoid the jumping in and out of vehicles (my cars basically a step in for her since it's so low) but as for an SUV or truck that will definitely be a lifting her in type deal if she has to be in there. :)

It seems the lead walking is the main area you want to limit, basically anything that is being instigated by me. She does have her shots and has been to the dog park a few times and she loved it. Would this not be completely labeled under the "5 minute a month" rule due to the fact that since she's off leash it's more her doing what she wants to do not what I want her to do? There's this field behind my house that is huge and open (I live in a really small town) so there's never anyone else and rarely any other dogs within eyesight let alone close to us. We do offleash walking back there. Would this be an okay thing to keep up? Is fetch a bad idea right now? She absolutely loves it but she goes full blown sprint. It tires her out great but is it too much strain?

Thanks again for the great replies!

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Just my opinion .but freedom to run as much as he wants is a good thing as when he tires he will quit. We take Kai on several leisurely walks each day, sometimes we do the mile and other times just 1/4 mile, dependent on time of day as its already getting hot. Then my daughter lets him run free in the backyard, with his ball. He runs back and forth. She has him out there about 30 minutes, at times he will just stop and lie down then he runs again. I think doing long walks or jogging would be more harmful as he cannot quit when he has had enough. I know I read somewhere that you shouldn't jog with them until they are between 18-24 months old, because of strain on the joints.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm a nerd, so I've been looking hard for actual research studies on puppies and exercise. I mean, I know what everyone says but I want science! And honestly, I haven't found much. I did see this, which I found very helpful:
Exercise in Puppies-Are there rules? | The SkeptVet

Honestly, until I see an actual controlled research study telling me otherwise, I'm going to listen to my puppy. If he wants to run, I'm going to let him. If he doesn't want to, I won't force him. I feel like happy dogs are well-behaved dogs. I ran this by my vet, and he was all in favor of it. He thought the 5 minute rule was a lot of hooey, for whatever that's worth. I know I'm stirring the pot here, but I'm willing to be convinced... so long as someone can show me controlled research studies!

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
ackwyo15 "Honestly, until I see an actual controlled research study telling me otherwise, I'm going to listen to my puppy. If he wants to run, I'm going to let him. If he doesn't want to, I won't force him."

I actually agree, I think the "fine line is" if you have your pup on a lead and go walking/jogging he has to keep up and this may be bad for his joints. However if he is off lead he will run as much as he wants then rest, then run he is doing it on his own terms, and that probably is not a bad thing.

Thats basically what we do. Our guy at 6 months still likes to sleep in but he loves his free time running too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Berkshire45: "We were aware of this exercise limit and tried to stick to it, but when we first had Lily we were only supposed to take her for 10 minutes a day which was impossible."

I know! It's so funny, Uhtred is learning not to pull on the leash and is good about it as long as there aren't too many distractions. But often when we get home from our "walk" he runs right to the back door and rings the bell, then several does laps at full speed around the back yard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts