Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two favorite dog breeds are the Boxer and the Rottweiler. Eventually, I'd like to get a dog for my family, which now consists of a two year old daughter and another daughter due in just a few weeks. However, I'm torn between these two breeds. While it's been said that Rottweilers are good with children, I firmly believe Boxers are even more in tune with children than Rotties and thus, a better family dog in that sense.

However, as much as I love the way Boxers clown around, I can wrestle with them, and they're just the right size for me (I'm 5'6"), I question their guarding abilities, mainly because of their clownish nature despite their intimidating appearance, which an intruder or assailant may see right through. I don't want a dog who is going to cower away if somebody tries to break into my home or who won't protect my family if someone tries to kidnap my children.

I'm not saying I want an aggressive dog-at least by nature. However, I do want a dog that's willing to be aggressive enough to protect my family and who can properly and swiftly subdue an attacker.

I know it sounds like I'm looking for Cujo. I'm not. It has been my belief for quite a while that Boxers are the best all around breed, especially when it comes to children, but I don't want a dog who's all bark and no bite if it came down to it.

Rottweilers on the other hand, while exceptionally imposing and superior (in my view anyway) guard dogs are large and wouldn't be as gentle with my children as a Boxer would be. Is it at all possible that a Boxer is as aggressive toward an attacker as a Rottweiler would be? Can Boxers match their imposing appearance with a willingness and most importantly, the ability to protect his family? Thank-you for your time.

-Evan

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Boxers have the look of being mean, but at heart they are big babies. Now they usually are VERY protective of small children, but in no way are they a guard dog. My opinion and i am sure you will get more

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrea,

Thank-you for your quick response. I'm disappointed to hear that Boxers are big babies though and am hoping there will be some people who disagree. While this may very well be the case, I still wouldn't rule out getting a Boxer. I revere the fact that they're so good with children and being a clown is pretty cool too. I don't suppose it would be possible to train a Boxer to have the 'guts' so to speak of a Rottweiler?

-Evan

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have seen boxers trained as guard dogs and they are actually pretty good. I had a rottie she was a big baby but also a guard dog.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers love children, partially due to the fact that they are kids at heart, but they are also very protective of their little skinfriends...I have seen Samson stand in between a child and another dog that was the family pet, simply cos he thought the child was being bothered, nothing mean or vicious, just protecting...I saw Buck jump on the back of one of my goddaughters friends cos he thought the guy was attacking my goddaughter in the pool(they were wrestling), again, not mean, just protecting.....

It's not in a Boxer to be a true guard dog, that's not their make-up, but they are a great protectors of their Skin family...Samson even at the ripe old age of 10 1/2 would tear someone apart if they harmed me, with Angel right in there with him..It's not something that has been taught, that is just the way they are...I don't want a guard dog, don't need one actually..Boxers are very aware of their surroundings and will let you know if something is amiss, what more could you want?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the thing about a boxer is it looks threatening. by nature though they love people, big babies may not have been the perfect words, but for mine they are. they follow me EVERYWHERE!! i love it though. Every dog is different. There are some here that are more alert to their owners and what goes on in the house. i have read threads that their boxers have alerted when someone was at the door prior to doorbell ringing and things like that. anything is possible. The more you training in both obdience and behavior you dog has the more alert your dog could be. Also both mine are female so they are petite in size- My oldest though was rescued from a bad situation so she more runs away from danger :) with her history though i dont expect anything else. This is a behaviour issue that we need to work on, but she came to me in March and we have worked long and hard for her to be where she is now. We have to take baby steps with her. Our youngest is 9 months, she also has issues because she sees the way the oldest is and believes that is the right way. So we are taking small steps forward with the two of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe 'guard dog' is the wrong term for me to use. All I'm trying to do before purchasing a Boxer is to make sure that a Boxer is well equipped to jump, bite, tear, and claw an attacker just like a Rottweiler would be. I don't want a dog sitting around waiting for me to say 'sic 'em.' I want a dog who is brave enough and who can fight well enough to keep someone from harming my family. Not only that, but a dog who senses the danger and acts on it rather than sensing it and cowering away.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Don't ever think a boxer doesn't have guts!!! Oh they have guts to spare believe me, I think you are getting the wrong impression of the breed...Bottom line a Boxer is a Boxer, a Rottie is a Rottie, 2 different breeds, 2 sets of characteristics....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrea,

It sounds like you have two wonderful dogs. Boxers seem to have the most personality of any breed in my opinion. While I don't want my future male Boxer to be aggressive in personality (I want the clown stuff), I want him to have the ability to take down an attacker. You've been very helpful, btw. Thank-you. I just joined this site about 20 min ago and people are already willing to help. I need to hit the sack now, but I'll check this forum again tomorrow.

-Evan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so now I know Boxers are gutsy. Do you mean they'll take the offensive against an attacker to themselves and my family?

-Evan

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
they do have wonderful personalities which is why they make such great family pets! My best advice to you is when you start looking for a breeder sit down with that breeder and really discuss the parents personality and what you are going to expect of your boxer. one other thing to take into consideration is that a dogs training and "alertness to his surrondings" or whatever you may want to call it is only as good as what the owner puts into the dog. If you have a dog that the owner has put no time into training then you cant expect much out of it, where as if you put the time and effort into the training then you will see much better results. Best of luck! i love both breeds, we actually had a rotti before we got our youngest. Our rotti was a rescue as well but we lost her to parvo-our youngest boxer was a present to help me get over the loss of the rotti!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it is all down to either the individual animal, if a pet, or training. Boxers have a lot of upper body strength, great dexterity, and a powerful bite. But would a pet boxer take down an attacker? Who could say? Not all Rottweilers would either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrea,

I'm sorry you lost your Rottie. They're beautiful dogs. I feel a little better now about Boxers. From what the two of you have told me, it sounds like a Boxer is perfectly well equipped to take somebody down aggressively if they need to, which was really my only concern with them. I think they're perfect in every other way. Is that the case or am I getting the wrong impression of their protective abilities? I hope both of you have a great night. I'll be back tomorrow.

-Evan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hayden,

Yes, I certainly know Boxers are strong and athletic enough. I'm just concerned about their courage and protective abilities. I haven't checked out your site for Rupert yet, but I will. Thank-you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I agree with Andrea, I would talk to breeders about what your expectations are, let them guide you..That is what a good breeder does...Do your research...You can never do enuf of that...Go see Boxers in action at shows etc..See if there are meetups in your area, talk to other owners....Network! Just a thought tho, every Boxer is different, just like people, to lump them together saying that yes they will protect you may be a stretch, some just aren't that way, depending on their upbringing and their disposition in general....They just aren't the type of dog that will tear an intruder to pieces, pin them down, perhaps, back them up, yes...If that is what you feel you need, which I question why, maybe a Boxer isn;t the right dog for you...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Once again, the dog is only as good as the time and training the owner puts into it. The dog is alert and protective by nature. it will be alert to those who are "strange" to it. But there is training that needs to be involved. you cant expect things from a dog unless it knows what you want. Personally i feel that a boxer would be a wonderful addition. I have owned both breeds, and i do love both breeds-a boxer though will forever be in my home.  i just like to stress that you cant be a lazy owner (not saying you are or would be) Praying though that any of these things never be needed of course no matter what breed you end up with :wink:

best of luck- glad you joined our forum!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Boxer's were orignally bred to fight large animals and then as  HEARING GUARD DOG'S for the militray.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There have been too many of these conversations as of late and it is kind of concerning me.  I've had to rewrite this a couple times to try to avoid being very offensive.  All I'm going to say is you are looking for a dog for all the wrong reasons and maybe you should think of being the protector instead of leaving it to a dog who only wants your leadership and affection.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.