Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am a little confused about what type of food I should be feeding my boxer pup.  The breeder had him on Iams large breed smart puppy, but all books and websites about boxers say they are a medium size dog, does anyone have any ideas on this and also what is good dry food for a boxer other tham Iams.  Thank you for your thoughts on this

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Boxers are a medium breed - there is a good site called Dog Food Analysis - good information on different types of dog food. There are also sticky topics in this area on food for boxers.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Boxers are medium breed dogs but pet food companys label them as large breed dogs.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Technically boxers are medium breed, however dog food companies formulate their large breed foods for any dog over 50 pounds. Also, there are breeders that are breeding to create larger boxers, so some can fall into the large breed category.
As far as the large breed, puppy, senior, or breed specific foods, I believe it is all a marketing gimmick so I don't pay too much attention to what is on the outside of the bag, rather the inside. I've always fed an all stage food, and just tend to check the ingredients and make sure it has the amount of protein that I am comfortable feeding.
You can look through the food tips and diet info forum to find some useful threads on this topic. There are quite a few for you to read thru!  :wink:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I second what Lisa says - labels, pictures anything are all marketing IMO - you should be picking a food for its ingredients and protein/fat levels over any slogan pasted on the front of the bag.   Its what is the bag not on it that matters.

Just with pups you want to keep the protein levels low (under 28%) so that way proper injury free growth can happen.  By feeding higher proteined kibbles, you are allowing bones to grow more quicky and the supporting muscles and tissues cannot keep up thus increasing the cause for injury:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's also hard to tell really how much protein and fat is in kibble unless you run the dry matter figures.  I think they are much larger in their own minds!!!  The feeding instructions on the bag might also be a little high according to the nutritionist I worked with.

Ann WI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts