Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wow. Hard to say. My 50 lb female is a barker. My 85 pond male is a total love muffin. That being said, I dont knoe if either would actually protect my house if someone came in and sweet talked them. Lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah i think sometimes people are afraid of approaching my boxer Sammy. I do not understand the reason why because he only barks when someone seems nervous and afraid and mostly as a way to communicate and not necessarily aggression. I put him on a leash most of the times when i am walking him so that people do not have to run away so much.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Yeah i think sometimes people are afraid of approaching my boxer Sammy. I do not understand the reason why because he only barks when someone seems nervous and afraid and mostly as a way to communicate and not necessarily aggression. I put him on a leash most of the times when i am walking him so that people do not have to run away so much.
Hmm OK not sure where you've been?? But I've managed to put together some links, specifically for this "problem."

Struddell and Gunther were as back as it got with company and of course "Struddell" (Boxer) was the worst! She was pretty much the center of attention at all family gatherings!

As a general rule most of the women were pretty "cool" to her antic's but most of the male visitors luv'd her! So it was pretty useless trying to gain control with company saying "aww it's OK. :)

Take a look here "The Place Command" and "Sit on the Dog" are how you can help him to chill out. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
My boxer is very wary of strangers. Normally she's ok to walk past them, unless they are nervous of her, which she picks up on and then she gets nervous of them and might whimper a bit as we walk past them. Very occasionally we will come across someone that she is super nervous of for some reason and she will growl, in which case I just pull her off the sidewalk and make her sit until that person passes. I don't try to stop her growling, as I like to trust her instincts, but I don't want her to lunge out at anyone or bark at them when they haven't done anything obvious to deserve it. She would never bite anyone, but she will bark and sometimes do a quick bluff lunge if she really doesn't like someone (this usually happens when it is dark, the person is a very large man, and has a hood or large hat on). She doesn't let strangers touch her when we are out on a walk, unless they crouch down and let her approach them. Then within 30 seconds she's trying to crawl into their lap. She does not let anyone on or near our property without alerting the neighbourhood that someone is there. She would never hurt anyone, but she can be intimidating to strangers who don't know her. We used to live in the city and I would go running at night. My hubby said that the best thing about her is that when I go running at night with the dog he doesn't worry for one second that anyone would do anything to me. We've had people working on our house/roof this summer, and Aspen would be in the yard and keep a close eye on them from a distance, but won't approach them or let them pet her unless I go outside with her. She really is just a big wuss, and if anyone actually tried to do anything to her I have no doubt she would just run away.

She is also a fantastic family dog. Super good with kids, she is deaf so sometimes kids startle her, but she always reacts by jumping 10 feet in the air, then wagging her tail and licking the child, she has never, ever snapped at a child. We always supervise her around small kids, but she has never given us a reason not to trust her. My sisters have 7 kids between the two of them and they are completely comfortable with Aspen being around their kids. We have a baby on the way in a couple of months and even though my hubby is not a dog/animal person, he has no worries about Aspen with the new baby.

From what I've heard, female boxers tend to be more protective/territorial than males, but obviously there are exceptions to that.
Everything you wrote just made me so happy. I really hope we are just as lucky to get our girl and she have that natural protectiveness over our family. We have three kids 6,5,&3 and we have been so cautious choosing true perfect match for our family. Your girl sounds wonderful and congrats on your baby!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts