Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my b/f's boxer broke out in hives 2 weeks ago.. at least that's what our vet said.. they were just like bumps but now they have started to do something weird.. i only have yorkies. i know absolutely nothing about boxers and this is my b/f's first. any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
OMG I would be horrified!
Even as a vet tech, I dont think I have ever seen a case of hives that bad!
I really wish there was something I could suggest to help, but all I can offer is that it clears up quickly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your telling me!!! i've NEVER even seen a dog with hives..then i come over here to find this!!! i about died!!!!  our vet said it's the worst he's ever seen too..they gave him two shots and said to keep giving him benadryl.. but it hasn't seemed to help at all ..now the ones on his head and face are turning white.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've never dealt w/ hives, but I think I would a second opinion in a few days if not better.  Is he itching?  Also google hives for more info.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bellasmomma\";p=\"29886 said:
I've never dealt w/ hives, but I think I would a second opinion in a few days if not better.  Is he itching?  Also google hives for more info.
Keep us posted.
no he's not itching..i have googled it and been doing some research..that's how i found this site...but none of the pictures i find seem to look like theses

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would seek another opinion from a different vet. I've seen hives before, but not that severe. Poor baby,  :(  please keep us updated on his condition.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah gets hives when we go to the dog park and there is a lot of dew on the ground; the vet said to give her Benadryl before we go and that has helped. Kiahs hives are red and they never turned white like that.   Our problem now is mosquitoes, she is just swarmed by them in the morning and evenings.  Her mosquitoe bites look more like that then her hives do and she doesn't itch them.  Do you have a lot of mosquitoes where you are?  I am looking for a good natural way to keep the mosquitoes off her until they go away.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Zoie had hives like that about 2 months ago. The vet said something may have bitten her...They gave her 2 shots right away because the hives could have gotten in her throught and choked her. She also gave me some pills for her to take right away in case it happened again...Good luck...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am so glad folks share different things such as this even though it is not good for the dog, I hope that it clears up. So even one can get a head start on issues if they should pop up with someone else dog

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm so sorry I can't be of any help, but I would agree that a second opinion is in order to prevent a secondary infection if nothing else.  Please let us know what you find out, and we're sending some healing and feeling better to your poor little guy.  I hope Sharon sees this.  She can probably suggest something for you to do.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my, that poor baby...I have nothing to tell you, but I also would consider getting a second opinion..Bless his heart, he needs a big hug.... :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Our great dane got bumps like that on his back, but never on his face or head.  He got them when we went to lake erie about 5-6 years ago...It was from bug bites...I don't think it was hives.  It cleared up in about 2-3 days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kiahsmom\";p=\"29896 said:
Kiah gets hives when we go to the dog park and there is a lot of dew on the ground; the vet said to give her Benadryl before we go and that has helped. Kiahs hives are red and they never turned white like that.   Our problem now is mosquitoes, she is just swarmed by them in the morning and evenings.  Her mosquitoe bites look more like that then her hives do and she doesn't itch them.  Do you have a lot of mosquitoes where you are?  I am looking for a good natural way to keep the mosquitoes off her until they go away.
yes we have alot of mosquitoes! maybe that's what did it..i'll keep you guys posted! thanks for all the advice! do you think we should continue to give him benadryl?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh geez!! those are bad!! i agree he needs to be taken back to your vet or taken to a new vet to get checked out. please keep us posted on how he is doing

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My dog has had several boughts with hives and they have never been itchy, so don't use that as a guide to as wether they are hives or not.  I can tell you that hives take a long time to go away when they get them bad like mine had.  I would also seek a second opinion on what to do about them and maybe get referred to a dermatologist.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sort of looks like bug bites.  Maybe a new allergy.  Has anything changed chemically in the house?  Different cleaning products, different laundry soap, etc.?

I would deffinately go back to the vet, or go to a different one!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yes, do what Sharon says as she is the expert here.  I spent a long time looking for pictures of hives yesterday and although I found big ones like your baby has, but all of them said they cleared up in 24 hours.  I'd run to the vet.  Good luck and let us know what you find out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts