Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Boxers do share some ancestry with the Mastiff breeds, including Corsos.  They are not what I would call closely related, as the most 'recent' common ancestors were several centuries ago.  :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hmm....I'd say a "real original German Boxer" would look more like this. ;)   Obviously, the breed has changed quite a lot since those days!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Actually there are significant differences between the North American Boxer you've posted and the 1911 German Boxer.  However, by your logic, the North American Boxer is closer to the original, and the German has strayed significantly from what the founders of the breed envisioned.  ;)

The reality, of course, is that there are "good" and "bad" champions in every country - to assume that because a dog is from a certain country it is automatically "good" or "bad" is shortsighted and foolish.  It is inaccurate to say that "most" North American champions look like the dog above, just as it is inaccurate to say that most European Champions look more like a Boston Terrier, as in the example below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
North American Boxer is the same joke as American Bulldog. Both breeds has nothing in common with original breeds as bulldog family or German boxer family.
:roll:

In my breeding era (many years back) white boxers or any boxers with a color defect (white mask, more white color etc.) was immediately put to sleep by veterinarian who was also an advisor for the breed.
Thankfully, we've progressed past such barbaric measures, and are able to place non-breeding puppies in homes where they will be loved companions.

Also ... You didn't compete with poodles or any other breed group in a ring.
You still don't, in North America.  In the Group ring, each dog is judged on their own standard, not against the other dogs.

Do you know for example that the rule has been to choose only the best six (or less) puppies will get pedigree and breeding rights to protect the QUALITY in Europe?
I know that, and yet I know a few breeders of white Boxers in Germany, so obviously the system is not foolproof.

Maybe from your point of view boxers in Europe seems to you like "Boston Terriers"
My point was, as I mentioned, it is inaccurate to say that all Boxers in Europe are like Boston Terriers.  Obviously some are, but there some very correct Boxers in Europe, as well.

Maybe you should try to attend any European show and than talk... We did and with a success!
And how many Canadian or American National Specialties have you attended?  

By the way you picked a very good looking boxer head. The muzzle should be proportional, short 1:1, high forehead and long cheeks.
That is not a correct Boxer head by any standard.  The muzzle should be 1/3 the length of the head - the one I posted is less than 1/4 the length of the head.  If you truly believe that head is correct, then I can understand why you are such a fan of the European Boxer.

each judge has his/her own dream boxer image in head while judging. If you are judge, you have to go by standard not by dreams!
Not a "dream" Boxer - their visualization of the ideal Boxer as described by the standard.  Obviously, this is not the same for everyone, as the standard is not entirely specific and does leave room for interpretation on some areas.  (And none on others, such as the head, though the dog I posted is a Champion and is far from the only one with such proportions.)

Again, though, my point is not to criticize certain dogs - my point is that you cannot condemn all the dogs on a continent simply because some of them are not to your taste.  The standards are not different in substance, only in text - a correct Boxer in one country will look much the same as a correct Boxer in any other country.  Completely dismissing the merits of an entire population based solely on location is, to repeat myself, short-sighted and certainly not of any benefit to the breed as a whole.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
c) Length of bridge of nose: length of head: the length of the nasal bridge in relation to the skull should be 1 : 2 (measured from the tip of the nose to the inner corner of the eye, or, respectively, the inner corner of the eye to the occiput).
Ah, thank you, so you do understand that the head I posted is not correct.  And, as I noted, you can see that the FCI standard and the US standard (both of which I have examined in detail here: www.newcastleboxers.com/standards.shtml) are the same in regards to that head proportion.

The American Kennel Club standard
The beauty of the head depends upon the harmonious proportion of muzzle to skull. The blunt muzzle is 1/3 the length of the head from the occiput to the tip of the nose
You don't see much differences in English Bull Terriers or German Shepherds because breeders accept and respect the FCI standard.
I'm not sure what exactly this means, especially since there is tremendous variety among German Shepherds.

THERE IS ONLY ONE STANDARD AND IT IS THE FCI STANDARD.
Well, obviously, that is entirely untrue.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ending is probably the right step, as you continue to miss the entire point.  I appreciate the well wishes as I continue to breed for the ideal Boxer that meets the standard in any country. :)

(I am curious about your comments of 'quality vs. quantity', and the strict breeding rules in Europe - and how that meshes with your policy of breeding your stud dogs to any bitch whose owner pays the stud fee, but perhaps that is another discussion.)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I wasn't criticizing, just curious.  You seemed to be admiring of the severe European restrictions on suitability for breeding, yet your website states that you do not refuse stud service to anybody based on the quality of the bitch - to me it seems there would be a disconnect between those two philosophies.

I have had and will continue to have a great life, thanks. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts