Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I always hear people say how all puppies should be enrolled in at least one 6-8 week training session. My question is: is this necessarily true? Tucker walks great on the leash, when I stop he sits. When people come up to him he might stand up and wiggle his little butt, but he does not jump up-- it's just something I never let him do, I always like to envision him as an 80lb dog then think "would I like this when he gets that big?". We walk great next to other dogs, even dogs that come running up to him off lead. For example, An unleashed dog came running out of a big field today when we went to a local park-- he belonged to a neighboring farm who did not know he was out.... he came over to tucker but I did not know how the dog would react so I told tucker to sit and not sniff him. He followed directions, we turned and walked away calmly. The dog actually followed us so I ended up turning around and telling the strange dog to come (we were walking out towards a main road, and even though he was not my dog I could not risk it) so he came back and started sniffing behind a bush. Thats when tucker and I calmly turned around and walked away. The other dog got the point and stayed next to his horse field.(did I do the right thing? I really had no choice because these people just let their dogs out unleashed next to a walking path.....)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sounds like you have the perfect Boxer! Good for you....Training in a formal setting isn't mandatory, I just like the idea cos you meet other people with different dogs, socialize and possibly get new ideas that you may have not thought of....I found that there were some things that I just wasn't doing right and was able to get them corrected and also got new ideas for potential problems as well.... :)

As far as it changing, maybe, maybe not. Time will tell on that...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"60119 said:
Sounds like you have the perfect Boxer! Good for you....Training in a formal setting isn't mandatory, I just like the idea cos you meet other people with different dogs, socialize and possibly get new ideas that you may have not thought of....I found that there were some things that I just wasn't doing right and was able to get them corrected and also got new ideas for potential problems as well.... :)

As far as it changing, maybe, maybe not. Time will tell on that...

I agree 100%. We did it for the socializing and extra input... learning experience not just for him but for us too.
As long as you always stay consistent... he should remain well trained. Sometimes changes in their surroundings
can cause personality conflicts too. He sounds great though! Great job with what you've been doing!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
id say your doing a great job. The only thing that i noticed with Maverick is that as he got older he started to test boundries more and do his little stunts trying to be the little clown. He will be going to training classes soon to get socialized and also to make him learn the commands 100%. For now it sounds as though tucker is doing great and I would just wait and see. If he starts to get out of hand and you need some help then enroll him and if you feel more socialization is in need then go for it or else id say he is fine as is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone, yes he is my pride and joy! the only thing I worry about is my commands are different than those that would be used at puppy classes. I took my prior knowledge from the horse world and applied it to him. It has been working great. Im just afraid if I take him to puppy classes he will get confused. I make sure he is socialized daily, if we cant get out to the barn to play with another pup we play with one or two here at the complex.

Im thinking I will have to just wait and see how things evolve.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
441 Posts
For us, training was good, because we deal with situations you may not normally be in. So, we have a chance to react and teach our dogs how to contain themselves as well! Such as last week, we were practicing recalls and there was a fresh bag of microwave popcorn spread over the floor, a tennis ball bouncing around and 10 other dogs being re-called at the same time. Not to mention, we always have a good time with the other people and dogs!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I know that our trainer didn't have any problems with us using different commands.  We had one person who liked to use german commands for certain things.  When the trainer taught us the "leave it" command, she meant it to mean forever but with Kiah I use it to mean to leave it unless I tell her she can have it.  The trainer said that was fine but she found it didn't work well with her dogs.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think the most important thing is socialization.  With other dogs, people, kids (especially)...everybody.  The training stuff is really to help you make them do what you want them to do, and you're the one who spends the most time with them, so if the dog's behavior doesn't bother you....training isn't necessary.  But socialization is for the dog's benefit, and anyone else who may encounter them.   That being said, obedience classes can't hurt.  I didn't feel comfortable bringing my pup to puppy kindergarten, I wanted to wait until he was bigger (yeah I'm a little overprotective I guess).  But I will be signing him up for obedience classes soon.  I think he's well socialized, and fairly well trained, but I could always use some new ideas and he could listen more.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I think anyone who is new to dogs! if they are not sure how to handle training would benefit from a class!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts