Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sorry I keep posting my situation. We are really trying to make this work!

Well, we had just come in from outside where Sierra and Jake played well. They tossled, but not agressively. They chased each other and all around had fun. Then we came in, Sierra went into the crate to get a bone out. She dropped it, and kept walking, before I could pick it up to take it away, Jake started walking toward it, she turned around and showed teeth and growled, he growled back and they tosstled with each other accross the room. They stopped after about 10-15 seconds, I was making LOUD noises and I did spray them with water which took many squirts to get them to stop. Then I separated them.
My hubby is very uneasy about this happening. His biggest fear is the kids (age 9 & 4) getting hurt if they are too close. We do supervise them, and keep them away from the dogs right now, but you never know.
My husband was bit by a doberman as a child, so he has a harder time with this than I do. I am fairly sure we can fix this.
Has anyone ever experienced this that has children? How long will it take and at what point do you say, we should not continue for the safety of the kids?  If we didn't have kids, my DH wouldn't have issues with it.
Do you know how long would it may typically take to get this territorial thing fixed? If we are really consistent?
Right now my kids are upset, they don't want Sierra to go, My husband is feeling terrible, like he's the bad guy for protecting the kids. and I am in the middle!
I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been through this before with dogs in the past. when you bring one dog in that may have been the dominant dog (Sierra) in their new home with an established alpha dog (Jake), they're just going to have to hash it out. And as far as getting bit, that happens. When I was doing cable tv installs, I couldn't tell you how many times I got bit by dogs. one dog was a boxer that I had to cripple to get him off of me cause the owner didn't tie him up good enough. I'm sorry that your hubby got bit, but Sierra didn't bite him, and it's not fair to bring one occurance into this one. Not fair at all. It's just a dominance thing that they're going to have to work out between the two of them and once they establish their own order, it'll settle down--Rich

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our primary concern really isn't for us, it's keeping a safe environment for our kids, which as much as we do want this to work, our kids are our first priority and we will not tolerate them getting bit. I don't think ANY person should tolerate getting bit.
Maybe I didn't make my question clear. I was looking for advice with peope who had experienced this with children because that does make a difference in a home. I don't want my children scared, nor do I want to always be worried if a fight will break out and them possibly getting hurt.
So I was asking, how long typically it takes to sort this thing out with Sierra and Jake. (I know every situation is different)  Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I totally understand that you're kids have to come first. I wouldn't really think that Jake and Sierras relationship will take very long to smooth out. but it's almost impossible to put a time frame on it since it really depends on how much time and effort is spent by the owner on getting them socialized together. Nano, playtime and samsonsmom had some really great advice, but it's not going to happen overnight. Sorry for the vague answer, but I can say don't give up on her. Unless she shows aggression towards your kids and then the dog's gotta go. Just work with her as much as you can, be patient and don't give up. I really hope everything works out and she can stay as a welcome addition to your family--Rich

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mom2boys,

You are doing the right things.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Nano just gave you excellent advice.. :)
Do you have any background on Sierra? What kind of a home was she in before her foster home? Was she an only dog? Was she an abused dog? How long was she in her foster home? Did she show any agression in the past?
Boxers are wonderful dogs that for the most part will get along with other dogs fairly well. However, there are some that do not get along with other dogs and should be in a one dog household.  That is why I would want to know as much of her background as possible.
Your husbands fears are very viable, even if he wasn't bit by a doberman when he was young. It has only been a couple of days for the dogs, in the meantime while they are trying to figure out there order, I personally would not let the kids around either one of them unsupervised. I would however give the dogs and kids some one on one time together. Let Sierra get to know them as well. Have them throw the ball around with her.
If I were in your situation I would probably give it two weeks, if there is no improvement I would call the rescue where you got her from and they will take her back and find a more appropriate home for her. She may also be having some issues because she is not feeling well because of the heartworms.
I really hope this works out for you, your family, and the dogs. Good luck and keep us updated.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I can't offer you anything that hasn't already been said other than keep doing what you are doing..Bringing a new dog into a household is no different than a child in a lot of ways..Be patient and one thing to try to do, not let your anxiety or fear show...Dogs, esp boxers are very intuitive...
I would definitely do as Tootsie suggested and see if you can get some more background on Sierra..Generally the shelter or rescue will provide that when you adopt, but not always..
And no, we aren't tired of you...On the contrary, asking questions shows you are concerned and want to make things work. Keep us posted please on how things are going..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Rich, Samsonmom, Tootsie, and Nano,
We're going to keep at it. The rescue is awesome and are going to send a trainer of for an orientation. We'll keep doing what we've been doing and also what you all suggested. You're right it has gotten much better. I'm sure it will work out.
The rescue and foster is very surprised. She's been in two foster homes with other dogs. Before that she was a stray, but she had been altered, but being that she's heavy on heartworms and also has tapeworms, she was neglected for quite some time. She can't be much over 1 1/2 years. They moved her from the 1st foster because they had a new foster couple and wanted to give them an easy dog. The first foster had many dogs, the other with just one other dog, but he was a big dog and deffinately dominant. That was the latest foster home. They also let thier dog sleep in bed with them and she was on the foot of the bed which maybe made it clear who was Alpha? They said she's never been possesive with toys or bones. But I think it's because she was it was probably more clear who the dominant one was.
Jake is easy going, but is oviously standing his ground when he feels threatened. Maybe the other dogs she's been with didn't give her an inch. Who know but we all love her and are going to keep at it.
Thanks for all your advise and suggestions, that is what is helping us through this!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mom2~ sounds like you are on the right track and have been given good advice here.  The only thing I can add it that bones are not allowed in our house.  That is about the only thing they fight about.  Hopefully things will get smoother soon!  It is hard but hopefully soon they will be inseparable!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't have much to offer re: children being invovled by Abby and Brady, although they get along beautifully, they do have certain things that get to them. We have learned to watch for those things that set them off and carefully approach them. Toys have a way of starting tiffs between dogs...every time I introduce  new rawhide or a new toy, our babies go at it. So those moments require 100% supervision (down on the floor with them for about 20 minutes until they settle) and I would never introduce a toy or rawhide to them around children... I have found that the best way of offering a new toy is to do so by keeping them separate (my husband will keep one outside with him while he does some work). The one who is inside gets the new toy first for a half hour, 45 minutes. At this time, she or he is less excited about the new item and is more willing to turn it over to the dog who's been waiting outside...for us, this works better with giving the new toy to the submissive one first...Brady. By the time Abby is brought in, Brady is ready to go to another toy and fighting is avoided because Abby gets what she wants. Once they have been introduced to the toy in this manner, they don't fight over it anymore. Of course, one ALWAYS wants what the other has...but there's no fighting.  
Now, this is just for new toys or things that start fights between them but the point is...watch for those things that set them off, learn what they are and avoid those things to the extent possible with the kids around.
One other thing I notice...Abby is a sleepy head and when she doesn't get  her "beauty sleep" she can get snarky...so if I notice that she is picking little fights over nothing, I know it's time for some down time for her. I will separate them for a while so Abby can sneak in a nap....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If you want to put a funny spin on this situation think of it like this.  

Husband brings home a girlfriend and expects the wife to get along with and share her jewelry, car, clothes etc with her without any complaint.  He also expects her to share him.  Now that's asking alot isn't it?  Our dogs could see things along these lines when we bring home another dog to the household.  They have had us to themselves all this time, the toys, food, attention etc.  We now have to help them understand that we are not bringing in an interloper to replace them but rather a new friend for them and everyone in the family.  Makes it food for thought.................

Wonderful of the shelter to offer to send in a trainer.  You already have plenty of good ideas and plans to move you forward in your integration with Sierra.  

"There is a principle which is bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-Herbert Spencer

We love people who ask questions!  We are all in a continual process of learning and living and evolving.  That's what makes life so wonderful!

Nano

1 - 11 of 11 Posts