Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ares had a big play date (his first) this morning with another boxer named Rocco.  It wasn't too successful.  Ares would go around, smelling the other boxer, then put his paws up on him, and of course the other boxer would jump away, then they would just mutually start growling/biting.

We tried having them meet with no leashes at first, but that ended up with her pulling Rocco away and me pulling Ares away.  Neither dog was hurt or anything like that.  Actually, my sister's chihuahua bit Ares worse than either of these guys bit eachother today.

--

So the play date ended up with us taking turns in the ball field with our dogs...while one of us waited outside.  I feel bad, because she drove a good hour or so just for Rocco to meet Ares...since I have a nice fenced in park right down the road from my house.

I brought my camera to take pictures and video of them playing, but never got to it because they just didn't get along.

Now Ares was neutered about 5 months ago, and Rocco was neutered about 2 months ago, and she said that sometimes it takes a while for the testosterone to get out of their system, so maybe that is one of the problems.  I swear, Ares tried to jump up on Rocco and hump him or something though.  That would piss me off too lol, so I understood why Rocco was mad.

--

Oh, and I know sometimes boxers play and it seems like they are fighting, but I'm about 95% sure these two were actually trying to fight.

Do you guys have any suggestions if this happens again?  Should you wait it out and let them growl/bite for a little while and risk one getting hurt, or step in right away and pull them apart?  I mean as soon as we pulled them apart, the 'aggression' stopped and they went back to sniffing eachother on leashes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Those two are definitely playing in true boxer form!  :D  Boxers are boxers and they love to box!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Well the fawn seemed more dominate while the other one seemed like it wanted to play more... I have yet to see 2 boxers play...

There are plenty of people on here that go on play dates a lot with other boxers though so they should be able to answer your question.

Oh and I hate how that guy put in the INFO: Cali Jo Boxer tears up another boxer 30 lbs heavier Anywho... you should get some good answers I'm sure... from people who go on playdates with other boxers.

Too me it seems like a bit of a dominance 'game'... if that's even possible.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't know if it's a dominance game or not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was a little worried because of the noises...boxers are just really scary that way I guess.

Sometimes when he's being playful around the house, my girlfriend is scared of him...mainly because of the noises.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I couldn't watch the video, dial up you know, but it sounds like from what everyone is saying that it's pretty typical boxer play...Buck & Tia would go at it to the point that friends would ask if we needed to step in...I cantell when it's getting serious, the tone changes...Boxers tend to be very vocal when they play, even my old man Samson is learning how to verbalize!  :lol:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think they were both just playing, one more dominant than the other.  But I was a little disturbed at the people's comments.  Was it just me or did they seem like they wanted them to fight or at least be rougher?

·
Registered
270 Posts
WOW...I'm so sorry that that happened!  That is a real bummer!  I have no advice to offer.....as my two boxer play with a golden doodle every day, things are established as is.  I wish you luck if you choose to do that again!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IloveJaxon\";p=\"26124 said:
I think they were both just playing, one more dominant than the other.  But I was a little disturbed at the people's comments.  Was it just me or did they seem like they wanted them to fight or at least be rougher?
I think the video was probably made before the whole "Michael Vick" thing...dog fighting was much less well-known and a lot of people probably joked about it.  Now, since the photos of beaten, dead, bloodied, dogs have been shown all over the news and the internet, people realize that dog-fighting isn't just where two dogs fight until one "submits" and the animals go back home and are treated well.  So, yeah I think the comments were all in fun.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
IloveJaxon... I agree with you... I didn't really like they're comments... I mean we joke around with Odin and Kyrie and it's fine to joke... but those 20 something yr old guys way into it... make off the wall comments... but that's immaturity for you.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I found it disturbing too! They were way to into it and egging them on to fight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...I agree, I sum it up to immaturity and ignorance though, I don't think any harm was meant.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The idea of a play date kind of worries me.  I guess I'm old school, but I think the dogs should be introduced first, spend time in the same room/area, before any physical contact should be allowed if they are perfect strangers.  I think the owners should bring their dogs, talk calmly so the dogs get the sense that everything is okay - no guarding issues, and then, and only then should the dogs be able to make physical contact with each other.  These are dogs, not children.  I'll probably get in trouble for these opinions, but that's what I'd do.  Introduce the dogs gradually before playing, otherwise, it seems a little like pitting two dogs together to fight.  Even well socialized dogs need to feel secure with who they are meeting up with. (in my humble opinion).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hrmm...I felt along the same lines Kate...that's why I put up an ad to meet in the park on leashes first.

Then a dog trainer contacted me and gave me some links about dog behavior and told me that being on leashes can raise aggression in dogs, and the best thing to do is bring them to an area where they can be free to go up to eachother on their own...and bring an air horn to blow in case they started fighting.  Of course I didn't bring the air horn because I can yell pretty loud when I need to...and picking up two 70-pound dogs is pretty easy when you're used to messing with great danes lol.

I mean I understand the way you feel, and I can see exactly what you're saying...at the same time, I can see how being 'free' could maybe open them up a little bit.

--

At the park about 5 miles from my home, there is a large fenced in dog area where you can go to bring your dog without a leash.  We walk by it all the time when we go to that park and a lot of dogs go in there.  There is a big sign out front with all the rules and warnings, and let's just say I wouldn't chance bringing Ares in there just for the simple fact that everything is clearly spelled out that the owner is responsible for it any time another dog gets injured.

--

I'm no dog behavioral expert, but I wish I was sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts