Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having terrible storms today and last night. Lightning struck the back porch last night! Its been a nightmare with Tyson. The poor thing wont come out from under the coffee table unless someone is holding him. When you hold him, he claws into the top of your shoulders!! My poor baby is so scared, and I have tried everything to calm him down. I dont know what to do hes been like this since 3:30 this morning. Any suggestions, or does it sound like something we just have to wait out??

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think the worst thing you could do is pick Tyson up and comfort him. I know it is really hard not to do. Picking him up and comforting him is just reassuring his behavior. It's telling him it's OK to feel that way when he is anxious about the storms.
Instead, just go about your business, act like nothing is happening. He'll pick up the vibes from you that everything IS ok after all. Do something else with him. Do some training with him, just act as if nothing is wrong.
Good Luck and I hope he comes out soon!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hes started to come out now, he crawls on his belly half way to his food bowl. Then when it thunders, hes like speed racer right back under the table. Kinda funny watching him crawl like that. wish the flash worked in my camera!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Poor Tyson!  We have had a few of those storms roll through this year and it is not easy.  We do try to go about our business but when the thunder makes you duck, you know they see it.  Hopefully he will come to accept that this is part of everyday life and will become accustomed to it!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson doesn't do well in storms either, but like Tootsie said, it's best if you try not to make a lot out of it, all that does is just reinforce the fear....Samson freaked out so bad one time that he had his crate all the way across the room by the time I got home...But he's gotten better, now as long as he is close to me or Marq he's fine...Let Tyson work it out on his own. Just try not to coddle him, but be near, that's all he needs...heck, those storms even scare us humans, so why not a dog? Give that little sweetie a big hug for me....And tell him it's ok to come out from under the table....Here's one for you, my sister's Golden, Jake, he gets in the shower when they have a storm!  :) Trys to get under the bed, but won't fit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe you should try crating him? The trainers at the humane society told us the crate should be their "safe place." I don't know if you heard about hurricane Wilma that came through south florida back in '05...but it was STORMING outside (I mean duh, its a hurricane)....windows rattling and such...power outage for 2 or 3 weeks. Xena was ok throughout but she herself crawled into her crate and fell asleep in there during the hurricane. Whenever things are hectic she likes to sleep in her crate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got him out from under the table yesterday when it calmed down outside. I just coaxed him with a treat!!! Turns out that rain is not such a scary thing after all. He went outside and propped his little head back and started chewing on the rain. It was pretty cute. Hes not so scared anymore. I think our other dog helped him too. Next one should be easier!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Maggie is deathly afraid of fire crackers.  My sister went out 4th of July 2 years ago, and i was watching her and she sat in my lap, shaking like a leaf all night!  She couldnt even sleep...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts