Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marq & I were talking the other morning about Samson and how his arthritis seems to have flared up lately....A lot of stiffness when he walks, etc....Well he remembered when he was a kid they had  a German Shepard named Jaime, Jaime started having a lot of problems getting around in the summer (this was in Louisisna), took him to the vet and he said a lot of times arthritis will actually get worse due to the A/C..New one on me, but was wondering if anyone else had heard this? I've ordered Glyco Flexx 3 for him, but in the meantime, any ideas what I could do? Don't think he would sit still for a heating pad, but what he has been doing is taking a lot of "sun breaks" when I take Angel out potty.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I didn't know that. Guess it makes sense though... maybe that's what's wrong with Nikki. She walks pretty good but sometimes when she gets up from laying down she yipes/whines a little. That's the first thing that came to my mind sense she's going on 12. She's always loved to sun bathe but it makes more sense now... my father never had his house as cool as we keep ours... and considering she's been an outdoor dog for the last 5-6 yrs I could see how it would cause problems...

LOL sorry I'm no help... lol  But thanks for helping me... I'm going to call the vet to make an appt for later this week hopefully! Hopefully some one will have good advice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So sorry Samson is having a flare-up.  

We went through this with a Doberman.   When we got her on the glucosomine supplement she improved significantly.  The vet had her on remedyl and it helped some but when we started the glucosomine supplement she did so much better.   We continued both for several years and it managed her arthritis really well.  She started with real problems at around Samson's age and she did really well until she left us at age 13 1/2.  

Sending your handsome Samson hugs and kisses and well wishes for a speedy and lasting recovery.  

BYW, Angel is a beautiful girl.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've actually had him on Glucosamine, but doesn't seem to have helped as much as I would like, hence the change to Glyco Flex. I'm trying to, for as long as possible keep him of perscription meds, but if it becomes necessary, we shall go with that as well.... :) Whatever works....If I had a jacuzzi, I'd plop him in there, course I am sure he wouldn't care for that

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had no idea about A/C.  learn something new everyday.  My lab has joint problems also. I started him on Lab Flex, ingredients are Glucosamine, Chonrotion & MSM..noticed a huge difference in a couple.  He can now keep up w/ Bella the boxer.  This supplement was the best price around and can be used for breeds other than labs.  www.labradorwell.com
Get better soon

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
have you considered accupuncture for him? when i worked at the vets office we had a vet that did accupuncture and it did wonders for lots of our senior dogs with arthritis. just a thought....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The A/C theory makes sense. Buster had arthritis and hip dysplasia and was always worse in the heat of the summer. It's hard to tell because I keep my air conditioner on 10 months out of the year. But, I do remember him being worse in the summer. I thought it was the humidity, but maybe it's the opposite?
I can vouch for the Glyco Flex III. Awesome product. Loved it! I actually rotated the Glyco Flex III with the SynoviG3 formula. Both worked miracles for Buster. I hope it does the same for Samson. The longer you can keep him from taking Rimadyl or Deramaxx the better.
I hope Samson is feeling better, and give him a hug from me and slobbery kisses from Maddie. (I know she just has a thing for the older guys!)  :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
it kinda makes since you know because if you look at it people that have arthritis in the winter they say it acts up alot more for the cold gets into the joints and distubs it so to me it would make perfect since... sorry i know it dosent really deal with dogs but i wouldent see it being the same for our baby doggies.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrea, if I could find a place that would do it, oh yea, I'd consider it...Have to do some research on that...Lisa, glad to know that The Glyco works well, nice to have a presonal recomendation....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
willow- where in alamabam are you located. I can talk to the vet and see if she knows anyone in your area. She knows a tons of vets throughout the USofA

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jasper, about an hour north of Birmingham....Huntsville would be my next option, but that's 2 hrs..

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sharon, I was going to use the soft tabs and order them thru Dr Foster. I figured out that 120 tablets @ 49.49 would last me 60 days..Looks like the Joint Care Premium would be a bit higher..Did a lot of checking around & it seemed like that was the lowest price for the Glyco..So, should I continue using Glucosamine until it starts working?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Willow, I would keep using the glucosamine that you have until you get and switch to the Glyco. I wouldn't use the products together being that the Glyco has a sufficient amount of glucosamine in it.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow Sharon, that is a great price! Thank you so much for that link... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts