Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Approximately 2 months ago my family moved into a new home that now has hardwood floors. This was a big change for my then 6 (now just turned 7) year old boxer Luke. He got scared a couple of times right when we moved in and sprawled out pretty good on the hardwood floors.

After that we noticed that he was having a bit of trouble when he would get up after laying down for a while and that he had a limp for his first few steps but then would be ok. After some x-rays we have learned that he has a small tear in his right knee (similar to an ACL tear in humans) but the vet also said there is quite a bit of arthritis and as well as hid dysplasia in his right hip. The left hip is fine.

As of this very moment he is on a 2 week cycle of an anti-inflammatory and bed rest to see if the knee will heal without surgery.

When it comes to the right hip arthritis and dysplasia what kind of longevity can I possibly see? I know none of you know his exact case but with proper management can I still help him have years to his life or is it usually more degenerative than that?

The vet mentioned that the anti-inflammatory he is on is hard on his liver so we will need to check his blood work every 6 months if we continue on that to help with it. As of now he walks just fine but as I mentioned he is stiff to get up and then a momentary limp. The medicine has seemed to help a bit but I feel like I should do more than just a pill twice a day that will also be hurting him.

Also, and I'm sorry to be so longwinded, I plan on carrying him up our giant staircase and doing other things around the house to help him but are there any other tips or tricks that you have all used to help manage this?
Lastly, the vet mentioned that his case isn't bad enough yet that she thinks a surgeon would consider replacing the hip but down the road we are open to that option. Anybody do this?

Thank you all for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the medical issues, but I'm sure some posters will be able to.

I also have all hardwood and I bought some cheaper throw rugs to put down throughout the house. I would definitely think about doing something like that because when his knee gets better, it would probably be only a matter of time before it happens again.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Well I can't really help medically either however I had a rottweiller that had bad arthritis and hip dysplasia. We did't have her on anti inflammatories but she did take something I think it was a Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate supplement. Maybe the vet can determine how often he would need the anti inflammatory. She really managed well. My neighbors golden was on rimadyl (not sure of spelling which I believe is a anti inflammatory) and did well on it but did go for regular BW. Her dog lied a good life for a very long time and was way up in age when they lost her.
Hardwood floors are bacon dogs joints because they constantly slip, maybe invite in some area rugs for now to help him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts