Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Random question. Were thinking of replacing our "grass" with artificial grass. Its about 500 sq ft. Its a mess from Boxer burn outs and gofer holes. So we were looking in to the artificial option.

My concern is the smell. Since its artificial will it retain a urine smell? Obviously we will water it down but will that smell stay? And since the poop cant decompose will it smell like poop too?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Well poop you pick up on a daily basis, as for the urine it will get washed into the soil beneath it. I heard it's very expensive but the way to go if you want a green yard :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a section of our yard that is rocks/Gravel and another section that is decorative cement. This is the only part of the yard that is actually green. LOL. We wanted to kind of keep something that looks alive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes it can be very expensive if you go with a quality grass, which you should. You pick up poop right away, rinse with water. They make a product to put on with a yard spayed to keep urine smell down, that is for fake grass. Make sure you get rid of gopher first, other wise it will ruin the looks of your grass, if it continues after grass is down. Invest in a good blower, because that's how you mow your lawn, you blow it clean.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Yes it can be very expensive if you go with a quality grass, which you should. You pick up poop right away, rinse with water. They make a product to put on with a yard spayed to keep urine smell down, that is for fake grass. Make sure you get rid of gopher first, other wise it will ruin the looks of your grass, if it continues after grass is down. Invest in a good blower, because that's how you mow your lawn, you blow it clean.
Do you know what kind of grass can stand up to dogs? When we moved here NV, the back yard had grass. It only lasted a single season with the dogs!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
As far as real grass, different parts of the nation you have to grow grasses that do well in your climate. NW blue fescue, Kentucky blue, and ryes do good here. Do they stand up to beating of dogs, maybe the fescues do. My front yard is like a carpet, If was Hydroseeded by myself and father, but the dogs don't run on it. I never had a problem with my back till we got Callie, she digs holes ( I think I got her controlled on most of that now) and she burns the grass from peeing. I wash my lawn once a week seems to help, cuts down on some of the burn. And as far as reseeding, I have picked a seed that grows well in our area. Mostly fescues, and I mixed a small leafed non blooming clover in. The clover helps with the beating down. I would suggest if you have a sod farm in your area, they usually sell seed, use the mix they sell, it usually the best that will grow in your areas.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
As far as real grass, different parts of the nation you have to grow grasses that do well in your climate. NW blue fescue, Kentucky blue, and ryes do good here. Do they stand up to beating of dogs, maybe the fescues do. My front yard is like a carpet, If was Hydroseeded by myself and father, but the dogs don't run on it. I never had a problem with my back till we got Callie, she digs holes ( I think I got her controlled on most of that now) and she burns the grass from peeing. I wash my lawn once a week seems to help, cuts down on some of the burn. And as far as reseeding, I have picked a seed that grows well in our area. Mostly fescues, and I mixed a small leafed non blooming clover in. The clover helps with the beating down. I would suggest if you have a sod farm in your area, they usually sell seed, use the mix they sell, it usually the best that will grow in your areas.

Add tomato juice to their water, it will help yellowing of grass.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tomato juice, how is that on their tummy? I no they sell those pills, I won't try that I heard they screw up their kidneys, I won't risk that. Any body try tomatoes juice with a sensitive tummy?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My ex's parents had boxers all their lives and put a little tomato juice in the water, it helps balance out the acids/ph in their urine. They had two boxers and not a single yellow spot in their yard!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, we went ahead and bought a piece of artificial turf at Costco this weekend - the brand is PreGra. It was $350 at the store for a 7.5' x 12.5' piece with enough metal stakes to do the whole perimeter at 6" intervals. The puppy loves it! She immediately claimed it and prefers it to any other surface.

She wasn't going potty or pee in this area and has continued to keep it very clean. This was always her lounge spot but it had become mostly dirt. She brings all her toys on it, lounges on it, and this morning we played on it with the flirt pole and she was trying to stay on it the whole time. I think she really likes the texture of it - more rough than regular grass so she can get better traction, and no mud. The spot gets a bit of sun in the am on parts of it, but shade the rest of the day - it's under a big tree.

We didn't do the whole "proper" install they recommend (with decomposed granite base for better drainage). We just took out the patches of lawn, tried to semi-level the dirt, and placed it down. It's too hot to do the whole thing properly right now, plus we wanted to see how it holds up. We bought two pieces but only installed one for now. I need to train her to change her potty station before we place the other section. But so far, we really, really like it. And she loves it. At first I thought it was too pricey. But our water just went up, and we would have had to change the flooring regardless, so this seems like a good deal now. And the maintenance will be great!

We just hope it will hold up well to her playing. Here is a pic of the puppy posing on her lawn :). As you can see, the turf is very attractive - a nice lush green mat with enough brown "thatch" to look realistic. The weight is nice and thick, and the stakes work really well - she zooms around on it without it budging. When it gets hot, the grass feels like a rubber mat, hot, but not uncomfortably so. And it cools down quickly, so she can avoid it when it gets too hot. Although she likes lounging on it in the morning and sunning herself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Looked into the Costco option also! Im waiting for them to get back to me for a quote for install as well as material.

You should check with your water company. LADWP is offering up to $2 PSF reimbursement for people who replace existing grass with artificial. Its all bc of the drought.

Im in Long Beach, so I don't qualify. :-( But there may be a similar program for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I Looked into the Costco option also! Im waiting for them to get back to me for a quote for install as well as material.

You should check with your water company. LADWP is offering up to $2 PSF reimbursement for people who replace existing grass with artificial. Its all bc of the drought.

Im in Long Beach, so I don't qualify. :-( But there may be a similar program for you.
Thank you! I'd forgotten all about that. I think there is a rebate available for our area. Costco did our garage door install 10 years ago and we were really happy with it - the contractor was excellent. Good luck with your quote!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Artificial Grass is made of Synthetic fiber that looks like natural grass. They are mostly used in Sports arenas that played on Grass. But nowadays it also used in residential areas to enhance the beauty of their lawn. Dubai Artificial Grass provides the best Artificial Grass Services in Dubai.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts