Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious for those who crate trained your boxers as puppies and young adults, at what age did you test "staying out of the crate at night"?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I didnt test it until like 12 months I think and it didnt go too well lmao Then she went back into her crate until about 18-20 months and she did fine!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We crated Angel at nite for about 3 mos when we got her. Marq was the one that actually started letting her stay out at nite and she has done great! No accidents at all. I think it's more knowing your boxer than anything else and everyone has a different view on it. It's what you feel most comfortable with that matters. I know some people that have older boxers, 3 maybe 4 yrs old and still crate cos they tend to be a wee bit out of control when everyone goes to sleep at nite...Kinda that "while the cat's away theory"... :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
well i never crated harley we was very lucky with her, she slept in our bed form day one and not once EVER had an accident in the bed or onthe floor while we were asleep!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah wasnt crated until we got Reese. Since Reese is only 6 months we dont trust her enough to go through the night with no mishaps. we were keeping savannah kenneled with Reese, but decided that Savannah can stay out and only reese will stay kenneled until trusted enough

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 2 Boxin' babies (16months and 8months) and a full time job- they are crated all friggin' day. So when we get home they have free reign of the house. They are pretty good about behaving. At night we shut our door and they either crash in the floor (on a palet of blankets of COURSE!) or on the bed. Now if the door is left open...its ON! Its an open invitation for mishaps.

They have been crated since about 4months (both-we learned this is a good age for crate training

·
Registered
405 Posts
We crate trained Abby but she never went in her crate overnight. I am an extremely light sleeper so we keep her collar on and the moment she moved, if she didn't lay back down, we took her out.  She is crated while we are at work and about 2 months ago (she's 13 months now), we tried un-crate training her little by little and it failed miserably. It took another 3 weeks to get her crate trained again, despite the pet sitter who comes midday for about an hour every day we work.  We will give it a shot again in a couple months...seeing that Roxy did well at 18 months, maybe we will have the same luck.
Brady on the other hand, is never crated anymore. He has a crate and it's in his play area while we are at work, but he doesn't need to stay in it. what a good boy he is!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't really think I used the crate but two nights.. Toby has always slept in my bed and made it through the night at 10 weeks (but he was 30lbs at 10 weeks.. big boy = big bladder).. He stayed in the crate when he had the runs and I didn't want him just hopping off my bed and going potty..

Now Mia.. for the first few nights I was getting up every couple hours so she slept in my bed so I knew when she had to go out.. Now, she'll sleep through the night.. Half the way on my bed, the rest in her crate.. She loves falling asleep with me but loovveesss her fluffy pillow in he crate! Its like a waterbed!! lol

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We never had to crate Henry at night, he sort of does it on his own.  His bed is in the crate and we leave the door open, so he comes and goes as he pleases.  Also, at five months he was sleeping through the night without having to go potty at all.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah came crate trained at 8.5 months.  She is only in the crate while I am at work (if I am working outside she is not in the crate, only when I have to leave for some reason) ; I come home at lunch to let her out and play with her.  She does really well in the crate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts