Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeter is currently 8 weeks old. When I take him outside, he goes with no problem, and then is ready to come inside. However, if I dont keep a keen eye on him, he will pee. When I find it, I wil take him over to the mess, and he knows. He will start backing up, and barking at me. So, I know he understand whats going on. I dont yell, or anything. I take him outside right away.

At what age, did your boxer start to catch on to the no pee in side? I reward outside everytime, and cage him during day. He does not pee in cage usually, unless I have to stay at work a bit longer. So I can understand that.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
it is going to be awhile i think. it took me almost 9 months with my female.. every boxer is different though.. consistency is the key... and if your day allows it have him on a potty schedule until he gets the picture..seems like you are doing everything right so far.. good luck!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
At 8 weeks a puppy really doesn't even have full control over his bladder. While housetraining, a pup should never be allowed free roam unsupervised. If you are unable to supervise his every move, then he should be in the crate or tethered to you. Taking him over to the mess really isn't going to help him understand not to pee in the house. Just blot it up with some paper towel and bring the paper towel outside and put it down where you want Jeter to pee. You really need to clean up the messes inside the house with a product like Natures Miracle to get rid of the smell, so that Jeter doesn't smell it in the future and think that is his pee place.  
Read through the topics in the training forum. There are tons of tips on housebreaking and puppy training. House training takes some time. You will go through phases also. Just when you think Jeter knows what he is doing, he will regress again. It will happen...just not tomorrow!  :wink:

·
Registered
693 Posts
By 4mos both of mine had the hang of it. All dogs vary in the amount of time it takes. Both of my guys are bell trained.
:D  :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I def. use the Natures Miracle, for the accidents. I however, do not keep him tied to me when Im home. He is caged while Im at work, and does great. I just dont have to have to cage him while Im home as well. But I may try the teather idea. Im just going to try and be consistent, and repetitive. Hopefully, within a couple months he will better understand.

Nice meeting everyone to!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ours was pretty good by 4.5 months, and then had an accident after of about 3 weeks of nothing, but has been good since then, we found bell training very helpful as well, good luck with your baby :)

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Tango is getting there slowly ... still has accidents.  He poos outside, everytime, but peeing is another matter.  It seems like he gets to the door, but doesn't take that extra step to get his butt outside!  I think he plays and then by the time he realizes, it's too late....

I also use treats and lots of praise for going outside.  He'll actually come tell me he's pooped in order to get a treat!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It seems to be with most everyone it takes GENERALLY til they are 6 mos to really get the hang of the housebreaking thing..Now, don't moan and think "oh my god what have I gotten myself in for!" cos having said that some are easier and in my opinion, males are easier to housetrain than females....Be consistent, that's a huge key and the tethering thing really does work well...think of Jeter as a new born baby, in a new enviroment, he looks to you to show him the ropes..Boxers are very intelligent, but also hard headed, they also are very schedule orientated, which you can use to your advantage....It really does no good to scold him for accidents, what I have done when we were housebreaking Angel at 1 1/2, i would clean up the mess, and talk to myself..my babies would sit and look at me like I lost my mind, but it helps :) Good luck and this too shall pass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts