Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ughhhhhhhhh, so Bruno ATE a dryer sheet tonight (used one, Bounce, some flavor don't know which offhand it's downstairs). Any idea if this is a really serious concern? I'm of course calling the vet in the AM, though he has seemed fine for the last 4 1/2 hours since he did it. Have read various things online whether it's that bad or not so I don't really know. It happened so fast. He grabbed it from the laundry basket (I was across the room) and withing a 30 second chase around the room he stopped and just gulped and it was gone and I couldn't get him to toss it up. 99.9% sure he actually swallowed it since I have found nothing on the floor. :wall::wall::wall::wall:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,496 Posts
I am not really sure if is an emergency situation. Dryer sheets are coated with wax - that is what softens the clothes - so I don't think we are looking at any toxicity. I would be more concerned with an obstruction of some kind. I would watch him for any signs of distress: vomiting, pain ( arching of the back. restlessness), the inability to have a BM even after trying. Give the vet a call in the am. Hope your buddy is ok.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,468 Posts
I think your biggest concern would be that it could cause a blockage.
Watch for signs like lethargy, vomiting, struggling to poop, not wanting to eat / play.

Mongo had surgery for "ingesting a foreign object" just before his first birthday. When said "foreign object" was retrieved the best they could determine it was either a dryer sheet or a paper towel (I think it was a paper towel)

Hopefully Bruno either barfs it up or poops it out. Good luck and keep us posted.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Breeze chewed a dryer sheet once. I caught her and took it away.. she was foaming at the mouth for awhile.. but was ok. DRANK LOTS of water. I would think like mentioned before, that if anything keep an eye in fear of blockage. But I think Bruno will be ok! Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Oh Bruno is at that lovely age!!! Ya gotta have eyes in the back of your head and an extra set in every room he visits :crazyeye: I am sure it will pass but like the above posts keep an extra eye on his BM and call your vet. My boys ate a dish sponge at that age and one pooped it out and the other puked theirs up - they shared the same sponge - boy did I have a panic attack :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vet says toxicity shouldn't be an issue since it was used. The concern is more if it causes a blockage. They said to monitor him for any changes in eating, poo, lethargy, etc. and if all goes well it should pass within a couple days. He's fine so far this morning. Ugh, he's gotten them before but just chewed them. It was so quick and I was across the room when he grabbed it. It was literally a run around the coffee table in the living room and into the kitchen and stop by the crate.....gone. We haven't found it on the floor anywhere so yeah pretty sure he really did swallow it. The last time he got one it was really soggy and limp when we retrieved it so I'm having high hopes it won't cause a blockage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
Vet says toxicity shouldn't be an issue since it was used. The concern is more if it causes a blockage. They said to monitor him for any changes in eating, poo, lethargy, etc. and if all goes well it should pass within a couple days. He's fine so far this morning. Ugh, he's gotten them before but just chewed them. It was so quick and I was across the room when he grabbed it. It was literally a run around the coffee table in the living room and into the kitchen and stop by the crate.....gone. We haven't found it on the floor anywhere so yeah pretty sure he really did swallow it. The last time he got one it was really soggy and limp when we retrieved it so I'm having high hopes it won't cause a blockage.
You really think he could have gobbled it up so fast...whole? I get crazy when Porter eats things. Usually I try to help it push it's way through with a little fiber...some pumpkin or pieces of bread. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm pretty sure. I was right behind him and it was in his mouth. He stopped and I pried his mouth open, no dryer sheet. Looked all around the area, no dryer sheet. The last time he got one he nearly swallowed it. It was way back there when we got it. One way or the other, there won't be a 3rd time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I'd lay odds he'll poop it out. Ole Reuben grabbed a plastic sandwich bag with training treats out of someone's hand and swallowed the whole thing. I was a little worried, but out it came the next day, "somewhat intact." Yuck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,496 Posts
Did he have a "Bounce" in his step after he pooped it out?! Just kidding. Glad he passed it. Bounce does make a dryer bar. It is a bar of softener that you adhere to the inside drum of your dryer. No more dryer sheets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Im glad he passed it! Isn't it crazy how fast they can get into mischief! I feel like I should put Belah in a pack n play when Im not in the room...LOL.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top