Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
making friends.

On my way home from the store today, I noticed a woman with a boxer a few short blocks from my home.  I thought, "Wow!  a playmate for Atticus!" but kept driving.  Then thought "what the heck" and turned and knocked on their door.  Was greeted by two boxers and their "Mom. "  Long story a bit shorter, she was all for getting her younger Boxer (eight-months old) together with Atticus (nine months old.)  

Before I get into the details of their playdate, I will say that Atticus is ALWAYS ready to play... maybe a bit too eagerly.  He is just a bouncing, energetic, bundle of BOXER.  And though this other boxer was boundlessly playful with ME when I knocked on their door and was invited in for a bit, when he got to our house for their "playdate" he was NOT a happy camper.  He snapped, growled and basically let Atticus know that he wanted nothing to do with him.   His "mom" was really surprised - said she has never seen him not get along with other dogs.  

I'm so bummed.  Atticus loves, loves, LOVES playing with other dogs.  What might he be doing wrong that I might be able to rectify with training?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The other dog was obviously not interested at this time and was just sharing his thoughts.  Nothing wrong with that or your dog. He might be with time be interested with proper slow introductions. It takes time for dogs to get to know and understand each other, in my opinion.  People are of the notion to just throw dogs together and let them work things out.  I would take time to walk them together letting one follow the other and not touching at first.  If that goes all right let them sniff keeping your leashes loose and the session short.  Progress slowly as things allow.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Just like humans not all dogs love all dogs...we as humans don't care for certain people for what ever reason and dogs are the same way.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It might be better to take them for a walk together in a neutral area and slowly let them get to know each other.  We did that with Kiah and my nephews golden (who is very possesive of his territory).  We were between them on the first few walks and eventually they walked together, did their sniffing and now get along well.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree, I wondered if it was a territory issue? The other pup may have felt he needed to "take a stand" since it was another dogs environment. You could try a neutral area for some walks/play and see if things improve. :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would definitely try it again, but in a different enviroment, neutral turf so to speak...A walk is a great idea :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts