Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You are going to love it, Kiah and I learned a lot at ours; it is also a great way to socialize with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its almost 11:30 am in chicago and I just got off work.  I am going to get a few hours of sleep then when I wake up I am going to give Attila a bath and then he should be ready for training tonight at 7:30pm.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good luck, let us know how the first session goes!  :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we arrived at training at 7:30 and was there till 9:25pm.  Tonight was just going over what she is going to train and how she is going to train.  We created a "Look" word that when Attila is in the sit position he has to focus on our eyes and stay there then if this is done without looking away he then gets the treat.  Attila was the only one of the three that catched on to this.  There were 2 other dogs in our class a golden retreiver (6months), Bichon Frise (8months) (Aggressive in all aspects), and then a couple stayed from the previous class that had a Siberian Husky (1yr).  We were taught how to monitor our dog for early signs of tempted aggression, barking, or unwanted play (pauncing using front paws).  She stated when a dog stays focused at another dog or animal, this is when you need to grab their attention with a sit and look command or snapping fingers, or standing in front of them to get them to move and loose focus on the other animal.  We were pulled aside at the end of the class to talk about how small Attila looks for his size.  We are going to split their food up into two meals a day instead of one, seperate feeding for Attila in a different room and Daphne in her cage which is in the kitchen.  We are also going to add rice to Attila's food and give him a little extra food then his normal 2cups a day.  We also talked about how to train Daphne during our time away from the class by using the same techniques but to be more trusting with her because she is older and maybe harder to remember each command.

I will upload some of the training paper work if anyone wants to read it.  Just post back and or PM me if you would like to read some of the stuff she gave us.

Review:  Night 1 went good, a few issues with attila staying focused on the Bichon.  Did good during demonstration with trainer on being focused while saying sit command and using off instead of down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow sounds like it went well....I can't wait to start now.  Please keep us updated I am interested to see how it goes and maybe we can compare notes. We are going to start on the 19th.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NEW UPDATE from 2/12/07.....

Attila did well once again at training.  We reviewed sit, and walking a little.  Then Attila was taught how to lay down using "Laydown" and the hand signals.  He did very good when the trainer was doing it and then somewhat good for me.  My wife is doing much better with the sit and look, and sit/laydown.  The homework was to try and take him for more walks if weather permits and try to keep him at our side when walking.  So far I have been sick therefore no walk yet, but we have also been having really cold weather and rain.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Completely off topic but i wanted to say Attila was mine and my husband's first choice of name for Voltaire. Unfortunatey the breeder said we had to have a name beginning with V for his pedigree paperwork so we chose Voltaire from a list. Still think Attila is a brilliant name for a boxer and good luck with the training :D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He now gets 2cups +1egg for breakfest then another 1 1/2 cups in the evening when my wife gets home from work.  Attila will be 1yrs old in about 3 weeks.

We are stilling looking for a female boxer that we can name Nakara, because that was one of Attila The Huns wives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts