Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I was just wondering how much it typically costs to buy a boxer pup?  I mean we don't have room yet for another dog but I'm hopful that soon we will!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think it is really all over the place and it also depends on your location. We paid 1800 for Fredo, although I sometimes feel bad that we didn't rescue instead, I wouldn't trade him for anything.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Its a tough questions because prices vary depending on location

IMO an ideal price for a health tested pet pup (which comes with a s/n agreement) from a reputable breeder would be $800.00 to $1200.00

·
Registered
839 Posts
Harley was $400.00 . With AKC reg. and the breeder gave the first Albon shots, and did DNA on the parents.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, I figured it might be along those lines. We adopted Baz at a shelter so I didn't have a clue how much it would be.  We got him for $100.  That's only because he hadn't been neutered before he arrived at the shelter if he had been before he would have only been like $50.  Pretty crazy though!  I totally understand wishing to adopt but it's so hard to find a puppy especially a pure breed in a shelter, it's so fun to go through the puppy phases!

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta was $500...although I don't believe her parents were health tested...not sure though....

Bo was free...but he was a special case

Around here a lot of boxers that are AKC registered but not necessarily health tested are in the $350-$700 range.  Health tested they are around $800+....

But you also have to consider shots, crates, toys, food, fixing, etc....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
You can find them, you just have to be patient.  My friend in Georgia took in three preganant bitches from a mill that got shut down.  She has over 20 puppies she had to find home for.   So my suggestion is find a rescue now, get in an app, get all your paperwork approvals etc done, and when something come in, then you are all set.

Good Luck:)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good thinking.  Oh yeah we have totally though about all the other costs that come with getting another dog!  We're not ready yet, we have to move out of our small apartment before we decide to get another dog! I was just curious and thinking about it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Prices also seem to differ depending on your area. A lot of people that are BYB'S advertise that their pups have AKC papers, which to be honest doens't mean a whole lot if the parents have not been health tested....I'm looking to spend about a $1200 for my next pup with papers and limited registration from health tested parents...It may cost more at the outset, but the end result is you have a better chance of having a healthy Boxer for many years, so to me, it's more than worth it....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Around here the price is around $1200.00 - $1500.00 limited registration from a reputable breeder who has done health testing.  I have seen the BYB's pups go for $300 - $950.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We paid 400 dollars for Rocky from a BYB, and 9 years ago when we bought BO it was also 400 dollars.  The funny thing is that when we were picking out Rocky from the litter, the breeder got call after phone call people asking the price when she said 400 dollars they hung up.  She said she thinks that people wanted a lower price.  I told her that her price was fair for this part of Pennslvania.  Rocky is AKC and the shots, dew claws and tail was all taken care of prior to purchasing him.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think it really depends on your area and if you are buying a pet or show puppy. I know that here Pet puppies are from 5-800.00 and show are from 1500.00-2500.00 depending on the breeder. I know i got lucky with my haven and bought her on a full ownership but most show breeders sell there pups on a co ownership (i am almost positive) Just some info hope it helps.
Samantha

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Baz's dew claws were taken care of but his front left claw grew back and he tore it out a month ago in play. The vet said that he would want to take it out next time it happens. The vet bill was $90 and it's $150 for the claw to be taken out.  His just grew in all crazy kind of looks deformed for some reason.  They must have just done a shotty job when they took them out.  It's so crazy to me that someone wouldn't try to find him to clam him he was at the shelter for a month before we found him.  He is so amazing!  I don't know if he was a stud or something becuase he was intact and he's so beautifuL!

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you just want a pet dog that is a boxer you should be able to find them for $400.

If you go up to $800-1200 you'll find breeders that health test their dog for common boxer genetic disorders (hip, cardio/heart, thyroid) and breed only boxers that are fine examples of the boxer breed.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
[quote="Nexu\";p=\"51098":12oywyrc]If you just want a pet dog that is a boxer you should be able to find them for $400.

If you go up to $800-1200 you'll find breeders that health test their dog for common boxer genetic disorders (hip, cardio/heart, thyroid) and breed only boxers that are fine examples of the boxer breed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's so strange that he gets compared to a pitbull! People act scared of him and it throws us off so much becuase boxers aren't even considered a bully breed right?  Their nature is so different compared to a pit.  He's painfully obviously a boxer, he's a big boxer 70 lbs. but he's not stout! Kind of crazy really. Does anyone else get that kind of response from the gerneral public?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You can find a puppy from untested parents of questionable conformation and temperament for $400 or less, but why would you want to?  Shouldn't a "just a pet" puppy have just as much of a chance at a long, healthy, happy life as a show or breeding prospect?  Is it any less tragic when a beloved Boxer drops dead at 3 years of age from ARVC because he was "just a pet"?

Responsible breeders don't do what they do for the show/breeding prospects - they do what they do because they love the breed and believe that *every* Boxer (and every Boxer owner) - pet or otherwise - deserves a long, healthy, happy life.  If you're going to spend money on a puppy, spend money to support those breeders, not the ones who don't care - or are clueless - about the breed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts