Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I had to put my beloved Layla to sleep after only two months of “owning” her. She was only 4 months old. Well little Miss Layla left such a positive impression on us that we decided that we wanted another boxer right away. Well this weekend we looked and found a seven month old male reverse brindle a 30 minute drive from home. We met him and he is a great dog he and my six year old son clicked right away. He (and his brother) are/is very big boys IMO. The breeder said they 60+ pounds! Wondering if that weight is too much for a boxer pup his age? I know the breeder feeding Science Diet is not helping with weight.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Aw I'm happy for you guys! The weight sounds ok to me too. Archie is about 40 lbs at 5 months so I think that seems pretty similar. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
I know you guys went through such heart break with your first girl. I am hoping this time around you are thoroughly screening your next breeder.

60 lbs at 6 mths is big.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you guys went through such heart break with your first girl. I am hoping this time around you are thoroughly screening your next breeder.

60 lbs at 6 mths is big.
Oh this time we spent a lot of time asking questions of his breeder and what not. We saw his health certification showing that everything including his heart was normal. His breeder asked us a bunch of questions and was genuinely concerned about how we would raise him and said at any time he doesn’t work out to contact her and bring him back. We will have access to his health records at our fav vet’s office (a plus) and we will have his pedigree. This experience was totally different from when we got Layla. That guy just wanted the money and something about the whole thing didn’t feel right but we were excited to get her so we ignored the little voices in the back of our head.

I am sure with more exercise from us and a meat based kibble diet he’ll get down to a normal weight. Although I think he is “overweight” he is not fat and he seems pretty energetic so he should be easy to keep him fit. We are very excited about getting “Mikey” (his current name but that is gonna change ASAP). And hopefully he will be around for years to come. BTW he is 7 months but closer to 8 months old.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmm...why is the breeder feeding science diet? Its a very crappy kibble. Most (if not all) of the experienced breeders that I know, either feed raw or a 5 star kibble. Maybe I am paranoid, but this feels like a red flag to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm...why is the breeder feeding science diet? Its a very crappy kibble. Most (if not all) of the experienced breeders that I know, either feed raw or a 5 star kibble. Maybe I am paranoid, but this feels like a red flag to me.
I don't feel the SD is a red flag. Some ppl are just not as knowledgeable about dog nutrition and will choose what the vet recommends or what they think is good. Look at how many ppl are clueless about their own nutrition.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I wouldn't look at what they are feeding as a "red flag" either....but thats MO..alot of top breeders feed really "shitty" food. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new boy :)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
That isn't big for his age. Rocky was almost 70 lbs by 9 months.. And then from there he filled out and gained another 10..

Numa was 50lbs at 7 months.. She turns 8 months tomorrow and I haven't got a wt on her recently...

But, some puppies grow super fast up until 7-8 months and then slow down significantly. Both mine did.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Wyatt was always on the petite side. He was 49 lbs at 6 months. 55 lbs at 10 months and went to the vet in July/august for a lump (bug bite) so he was about 14/15 months and was 61 lbs.

To me 60 lbs at 6 months is big, but like others said, it's prob normal:)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts