Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read about 3 boxers that have been taken in by a Fl rescue org have been diagnosed with Babesia, a potentially fatal illness trasnsmitted by ticks. I know, I know, just another illness to worry about now!  :?  I've never heard of this Babesia before, and to hear that 3 boxers were pulled out of the same shelter that have been diagnosed with this, is kind of alarming to me. Anyone ever hear of this? Sharon, can you shed any light on this?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wow, another thing to watch out for.  Just put flea and tick on Kiah and Keegan on Saturday.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Jennifer. So, I take it that there is no vaccine available in the US for this? After reading through the treatment information, it seems like very intense treatment, and can't even be guaranteed that it will work. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but this just seems very "ify" to me.
So, I guess the best defense for this would be the flea and tick control meds?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That article pretty much tells the tale on it......It is not a very common disease so to have 3 at one time with it would mean that there are greater cases in the area these dogs come from.....I have not seen a case of it in many years....keeping flea and ticks off is the best measure to take :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts