Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow... That looks pretty bad. Im not too sure about the tail docking thing, as Summers was already done when I got her. I have never seen one that short though. I hope it won't cause any problems in the future.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
hmmmm i think Mav's is a little longer than that but i dont think it will cause her any problems. At least it isnt the length that it rubs on the floor whenever she sits down. That can be annoying ive heard.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is very very short... It looks worse than that in real life, but my cell phone does not take good pictures.  When she has to go potty it does stick up just a little bit.  My hubby thinks it is cute that way, but I don't really like it at all.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just read in another posting that shorter or longer the size of the docked tail shouldn't matter... Zhanna said it I think. Yours just happened to get a shorter tail. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
977 Posts
There's a boxer lives near my aunt that has a short tail like that and he looks amazing. It's a question of taste probably :)  Don't worry about it - it won't stop a beautiful dog from being a beautiful dog :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
It should be fine.  I've seen all sorts of dogs that look like they have no tail at all and it wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
On our litter the vet suggested that the length should just cover the anus of the dog.  Our male Tyson's tail is shorter than that and our female sophie.  Her tail just covers her butt.

Scott

·
Registered
219 Posts
harleys is sort like that too.. but i held it down and it does cover all of his anal.. gross i know but true none the least...

soooo here is harleys behind as well.. im pretty sure its just as short as your furbaby's is.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brady (our cocker) is extremely short, in fact, there is just not much of a tail there at all. We leave a little extra fur there when we trim his fur, just so we can see when he's wagging his nub!! No problems though. He just has a hard time "catching it."   :lol:

I do recall reading about a rescue dog when we were in the process of adopting Abby that had his tail cropped too short...they were taking donations to have "wheels" made for him bc apparently the tip of the spinal cord was clipped and he was not able to move his hind legs. How sad...apparently the BYB did it and instantly the dog was not able to walk anymore and went in to get a shotgun with the thought that the pup was no longer valuable!!!! HOW AWFUL (I really need to stop looking at rescue websites, it makes me crazy what people do). Anyways, the neighbor was there and when the neighbor realized what was happening, he essentially stole the pup and brought it to rescue. Good neighbor!!!!!  But again, the outcome was instant, so your baby should be fine!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah has a little nub too, here is a picture of hers.  She sure can wiggle it though  :lol:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim's nub is so small you can barely hold onto it, but nontheless, he wiggles the heck out of it. Delila has a long crop as breeder was going to keep her for show, but she has a cowlick on the top of her head so she kept a different puppy from the litter. I actually like Ekims shot nub better than the long one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When the tails were docked in Germany some years ago they were often docked as short
as your pictures shows. The only problem for these dogs was, that the other dogs could
not see the tail  - an important part of the communication between dogs.
Normally a dog where you cannot see the tail is a frightend dog because it has
its tail tucked between the hind legs. If another dog things that a boxer with docked
tail is frightened it thinks very wrong ...

Today when a dog (from a good breeder) in Germany has such a short docked tail
it is sometimes because the puppie had a kink when it was born. The boxer Kira of my
friend is docked very short  because her tail was hurt during the birth. The other
puppies of her litter are all with natural tail.

Do you know the other puppies from the litter?
Are their tails docked in the same way?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Docking depends on the breeder and the Vet.     There is a correct way to dock, and thinking it comes into play with how many vertibre you leave (Jennifer can probablly elaborate more on that).   I have also heard of the nickel method which is what our breeder does.     Most experienced breederS can band the tails and dock themselves or can take to an experienced vet who knows the proper measure to get a "nub" within 3-5 days after birth -

Show prospects do tend to have a longer nub, which I think (IMO) accentuates their topline and tail set in a stacked position.   Its hard to show structure of the dog when there is little to no tail, and IMO again, I think it can make the back look a bit roached.    Its not a fault per se, but I personally have not seen any boxers in the ring with little to no tail.  

Many people can also tribute tail lengh to knowlege of the breeder.  Many uneducated breeders can just dock the tail leaving nothing, a little and some very long.    Its all personal preference of those who breed.  To me, I prefer a bit of a nub, but to each's own!   I think less nub make more rump shaking!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts