Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the board and this is my first post, hope I am in the right section!

Little info about myself I am a 20yeard old student at OSU and the proud parent of a male boxer (Bach) he is about 2 1/2 years old.

Seeing as how its summer time and I will be spending a lot of time at the lake and do not want to have to leave Bach crated up all day while we are out on the lake, I would like some tips on helping to get him used to the water. As of now he will not even step foot in the water. I have tried playing fetch with him and throwing his toy in lake and he will put on the breaks before he hits the water. Also I

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You just have to take it really slow, and give him LOTS of opportunities to see the boat/water.  I would take him for a picnic or something next to the lake on a long leash.  You can tether him so he can reach the water, but doesn't have to be uncomfortably close to it.  You sit as close to the water as you can and eat yummy food!  or just sit and read a book or listen to music.  Hopefully with time he will get used to it, and eventually overcome his fear and want to be close to you and therefore close to the water.  Be sure to bring some of his favorite treats to reward him when he gets closer.
AFter he is comfortable with the water then you can start with the boat.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
when you finally do get him to go on the boat you should make sure he is wearing a doggy lifejacket..you can get them at petsmart and similar stores.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to figure this problem out as well.  Spinx will go near and put a few paws in the water but nothing more.  Just take it slow and encourage him to get a toy, or play with other dogs in the water.  Be sure to get him a lifejacket if you go out in the boat.  Spinx isn't afraid of the boat, but he jumped overboard in the middle of the Mississippi in march.  It cost me my blackberry and flash drive to save him.  I should've just spent $20 on a life jacket.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson has been canoing & boating, he's not overly fond of the water, but if Momma goes he goes :lol: Definitely get him a life vest..As far as teaching him to swim or getting him the water, you need to get in with him...Walk in the water with either treats or toys, don't force the issue tho..Some Boxers just do not like water and there really isn't anything you can do about it. You CAN try, if you are able to, pick him up and carry him into the water, not real far at first and very gently set him into the water and guide him back...That's the principle of how we taught our first Boxer how to swim, but he was 10 wks old...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Cain's typical week includes one weekday, and all weekends at our camper at the lake. On his second walk on the dock...he leaped off!...(expecting the water to be firm I'm sure)...of course he was shocked a bit, and was leary of the water after that. What has helped him the most has been being around our other dog that loves the water. He'll "wade" but doesn't swim without encouragement. So far he's perfectly content to ride in our jon boat, and he'll get the chance to ride on the pontoon this weekend. He's not bothered by (engine) noise at all...he's sat right beside my gas pressure washer, plays in the yard when I mow and weed-eat...ect.
Hopefully he won't get too big to go with me in my kayak...which has a large open storage compartment right behind the seat (it's a sit-on-top fishing kayak).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think the movement of the water scares them.  Maybe you could try a day when it's really calm. Sand is fun if you can find a sandy shore to practice on.  We always carried some extra beach towels when we were out on the boat.  They get really hot quickly, so we'd soak one in the lake and wrap it around our guy frequently.  We also carried a large ice chest we could soak a towel in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Cant wait to try some of these ideas out. Ill let you all know if I make any progress. I bought him a life jacket at petsmart before I even took him to the lake lol its a limegreen one and he loves rocken it around the house!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts