Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m a prior member that left (not sure why, maybe life?) My first Boxer was Kobe, he was magnificent. 3 years later our (not much of a) lady joined us, her name was Nevada. Kobe left us at the age of 13 in 2010. Nevada had become quite aggressive in the last few years of Kobe’s life, so I was surprised how sad she was after he died. We bit the bullet and brought Patton home as a puppy. Nevada was like a mom to him; shocked us😂. When Nevada passed, also at 13, Patton was a hot mess, he was only 3. So, we brought home a new pup, Jackson. The boys are great together, Patton stepped up (with lots of prodding from me and his human daddy) and Jackson recognizes him as the alpha male (second to my husband). Jackson started exhibiting anxiety issues about 2 years ago...submissive peeing, fear of noises, aggression etc. It’s accelerated to the point that if he ventures out when we have guests, he either cowers or pees everywhere. Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, how did you correct it. I’m frightened tonight because this morning Jackson underwent surgery to have two tumors removed (I’ve never had tumor issues with any of my others)that the vet was concerned about. The incisions are ridiculously large for the size of the lumps. Is it possible that his anxiety issues are the result of cancer? Does that even exist? Sorry, just a scared mama here. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
And I can completely understanding how you feel about your guy undergoing surgery!! My Struddell was four years old before I got her spayed?? And that was pretty much "routine surgery!" But I had a fear of Ace and she had never been away from me in those four years?? So ...yeah.

I hope all goes well for your guy and welcome back! Now as to his behavioural issues ... I don't what the causes are of his particular issues??

But I do know what the pros know, what I did/do and recommend, sigh ... all the freaking time ... apparently?? And five years after the loss of my Struddell and with a new Boxer/Pit in the house ... that had always crated, when the owners were gone and slept in her crate at night because she was uh ... kinda crazy??

Now she was good with the Crate thing. But I found I could not handle it?! So you know going against my advice "Bella" with me spent exactly "one night" in her "Crate!" And she was good with that but I was a "Wreck!" I could not deal with it! So ... back to basics and I did what I do ... for Aggression/Fear/Anxiety and apparently general ... "I'm a just a freaking nut ball and I don't want to chill out< kinda dogs!! I taught trained and did "The Place Command!"

It's been 6 weeks or so since we got her and the changes in her indoor behaviours have been hugh!! Now I still have stuff to work on but ... now anyone could live with her quite easily!

It's a two part process andI have not done the "Sit on the Dog" part just yet?? But the "Place Command" she has gotten! Oh well i can go on and on. But when you get him back after his recovery ... start working on this.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

And as always ask questions and welcome back and I hope all goes well with your guy!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hi! I’m a prior member that left (not sure why, maybe life?) My first Boxer was Kobe, he was magnificent. 3 years later our (not much of a) lady joined us, her name was Nevada. Kobe left us at the age of 13 in 2010. Nevada had become quite aggressive in the last few years of Kobe’s life, so I was surprised how sad she was after he died. We bit the bullet and brought Patton home as a puppy. Nevada was like a mom to him; shocked us😂. When Nevada passed, also at 13, Patton was a hot mess, he was only 3. So, we brought home a new pup, Jackson. The boys are great together, Patton stepped up (with lots of prodding from me and his human daddy) and Jackson recognizes him as the alpha male (second to my husband). Jackson started exhibiting anxiety issues about 2 years ago...submissive peeing, fear of noises, aggression etc. It’s accelerated to the point that if he ventures out when we have guests, he either cowers or pees everywhere. Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, how did you correct it. I’m frightened tonight because this morning Jackson underwent surgery to have two tumors removed (I’ve never had tumor issues with any of my others)that the vet was concerned about. The incisions are ridiculously large for the size of the lumps. Is it possible that his anxiety issues are the result of cancer? Does that even exist? Sorry, just a scared mama here. Thanks.

Yes behavioral issues can certainly change depending on health. Don't know if this is the case with Jackson, but it does happen.

Hopefully Jackson made it through surgery with no issue, and its a quick recovery. If the issues are still there after, then you will know how to proceed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry for hearing that. I also agree that Jackson is in pain after the surgery. You could comfort him and pet him more during the recovery. My dog also felt down and sleepy for two weeks after urine surgery. He didn't dislike someone (especially for visitors) interfering him with aggression. So you could give him a safe and quiet private space to sleep and feed proper food suggested by the vet.
However, if he still has anxiety and fear after recovery, you could consider the socialization problem. You might retrain him how to socialize with other people and canines. Here is a guide for your reference: https://www.rover.com/blog/how-to-socialize-dog/
However, before training, make sure Jackson behaves well on a leash when meeting strangers (such as no pulling the leash). Using basic training commands such as "sit" and "down" can control his behaviors to some extent. What's more, provide some treats if he performs well. Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to learn your baby has tumors. All three of mine have had them and had them removed. Yes, the incisions can seem quite large because they may need to remove the area around the tumor as well. My Tala did have cancer that was removed but it came back and ended up taking her. Mr. Howard recovered well and had no recurring problems. The verdict for Bruno is still out as he continues to have some removed and it hasn't been long enough yet to know.

Tala had a tough recovery and it was her attitude that alerted me to her problems. She got very defensive and also afraid of anyone but me. She did have a couple of accidents in the house but not consistently. It all improved after she was completely recovered but I spent a lot of time reinforcing the rules and her commands. I also covered her crate to give her more security.
Mr. Howard got quite aggressive before his surgeries and it was obvious he was in pain from the licking and pacing. He recovered without intervention. Bruno seems to be doing OK but I've only had him two weeks. He is licking a lot so we shall see what the future brings.
I would say just be observant, patient and don't be afraid to bother your vet with questions. That's their job to help your furfriend and you. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts