Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boys to the vet this morning... they had to have their rabies and check ups as they are getting neutered next week :/
Well, they both got AMAZING feedback and compliments on how GREAT their teeth looked. She even asked me if i cleaned their teeth every day? I told her i had NEEVR cleaned their teeth and that they were just sparkling bc they get given bones and are fed raw. She then went on at me how bad bones were for my dogs. Phssh... so what their teeth are just magically clean white and amazing... yet bones are bad?!?! LOL ... i just rolled my eyes.. told her i know that she had to say that but clearly they are doing well on it.
Anyways... Boss looks fab and healthy... he only weighs 55lb which is really small for a male boxer (he is 1.5 yrs).. but his muscle mass is great and he does NOT look under weight. He is just very small/short for a boxer.
Buddha on the other hand IS underweight. He only weighs 46lb!!! I was shocked... i knew he was underweight but didn't realize he was so light. He is MUCH taller than Boss.
We feed him 2lbs+ per day of raw. We feed tripe, chicken turkey and high fat beef. Occasionally pork too. Am i under feeding him? He is active but not excessively. I know he is still young too. But he IS too skinny. You can see his ribs, hip bones sometime spine. The problem is when i up his food too much it gives him the runs.
Advice?
Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
congrats on the health check at the vet's and good on you for standing up for your boys and their RAW diet!!! Buddha seems to get enought 2lbs + perhaps increase the red meat = pork/beef; my boys when they were about 2 1/2 they finally started to fill out.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
46 lbs. does seem underweight for an almost 2 year old. I know you have always had trouble keeping the weight on him. 2 lbs. seems like a good amount of food per day but all dogs are different right? Try upping his food just an ounce per meal. If he tolerates that well, do it for a couple of weeks and then up it another ounce.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
perhaps he needs more fat in his diet...that should fill him right up

I fed Valant with cheap very much fatty beef cubes from the supermarket (on top of his daily meal) for a while and that did the trick.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Have you ever had his thyroid checked? An imbalance can cause them to not be able to keep weight also. And I'm guessing you've already done a fecal test for worms?

I only fed Duke 2 lbs a day when he was having a growth spurt around 22ish months. He gained his weight back easily and then I cut him back. And he's bigger than your boy I'm guessing and intact. Over two pounds seems like a lot for a healthy dog to be fed and still be underweight.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever had his thyroid checked? An imbalance can cause them to not be able to keep weight also. And I'm guessing you've already done a fecal test for worms?

I only fed Duke 2 lbs a day when he was having a growth spurt around 22ish months. He gained his weight back easily and then I cut him back. And he's bigger than your boy I'm guessing and intact. Over two pounds seems like a lot for a healthy dog to be fed and still be underweight.

He has been checked for worms and in the clear. but not his thyroid. the vet actually never gave me this option. i will have to look into other symptoms.

·
Registered
907 Posts
From what I know hyperthyroidism is pretty rare though too. I only know one Boxer who has it and his main symptom was not being able to keep weight along with wanting to eat food and eating all of it. He didn't have a tumor or anything and was diagnosed at about the same age as your boy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Instead of upping his food intake, I would increase the amount of red meats in his diet and decrease the turkey and chicken he gets.

It works wonders for putting weight on without overfeeding. I've done it and works great, just takes a little bit of time and you're not stressing your dog's digestive system by doing it either as you would with increasing portions.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
From what I recall chicken/turkey burn through them quicker than red meats. Up the red meats if you can. Maybe try making those satin balls as treats. I remember reading up on the recipe on here. It's supposed to fatten them up!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of upping his food intake, I would increase the amount of red meats in his diet and decrease the turkey and chicken he gets.

It works wonders for putting weight on without overfeeding. I've done it and works great, just takes a little bit of time and you're not stressing your dog's digestive system by doing it either as you would with increasing portions.
Ok. I will try this. Maybe add a few satin balls in also! Thanks so much everyone :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts