Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am leaving on a backpacking trip with Bea next week. She has a Long Howl GraniteGear pack that she is comfortable carrying.

The hike in should only be about 4 miles or so but it will be warm out. Boxers obviously have over heating issues, Any body have any suggestions on ways to keep her cool?

I saw the cooling vests and collars but A. I dont want to add another layer under her pack and B. they all require ICE which wont be available on the trail.

I bought some of those medical instant ice packs that you break and the chemical reaction makes them cold. Any ideas on how to attach it to her to keep her cool during the hike but not give her a cold burn...etc

Thoughts, ideas, experiences?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
maybe a childs t-shirt and put them on the outside.. though those cold packs work with water and just make sure she stays hydrated..and take breaks in shade if need be.. good luck and would love pics....

·
Registered
834 Posts
I bring a camel- bak with h2o and ice. If Kona looks like he is getting hot I will wet a cloth with the water and wash his groin, arm pits and face and give him a drink. Seems to do the trick..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When I go hiking with the dogs I just wet a cloth and rub his belly and armpits. Seems to help. Otherwise I let him relax for a few moments in shade. Make sure he has lots of water and maybe try to tie the ice pack in a towel and wrap it around his waist?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts